stipend during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iatrosB

trying not to kill anyone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've have heard several times of residents getting stipend offers from hospitals/practice groups while in residency. Does anyone know how one goes about obtaining such offers and how early they should begin looking? Is it kosher to approach a hospital/group you would like to practice with and ask for one? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Tennessee has a rural stipend set up. Basically, you agree to practice in any of the 200-plus rural/underserved locations and they give you 10 grand a year during residency. It's a nice deal if you know that's what you want to do. They also help you set up your practice once you get to that point. They are in the process of updating the program too, and rumor has it that they are going to (significantly) increase the stipend.

I have a few friends that have signed already and they are getting between $1200-1500/mo during residency.

It's absolutely kosher to approach the clinic/hospital and see if they are willing to do that. The worst that happens is they say no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few friends that have signed already and they are getting between $1200-1500/mo during residency.

It's absolutely kosher to approach the clinic/hospital and see if they are willing to do that. The worst that happens is they say no.

thanks for the input guys.

some of my student loans will come due during residency and the salary just isn't going to cut it. The only other option I have is joining the national guard for their stipend program, but that comes with a huge price. I would much rather get a stipend from a future employer and comit to working there.

you don't know until you try I guess, thanks again

thanks for the input guys.

some of my student loans will come due during residency and the salary just isn't going to cut it. The only other option I have is joining the national guard for their stipend program, but that comes with a huge price. I would much rather get a stipend from a future employer and comit to working there.

you don't know until you try I guess, thanks again

Are you sure you can't get a deferment or at least forebearance for those loans?