Stipend question

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by glasscandie, Dec 2, 2008.

1. glasscandie

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    How do stipends get paid out - monthly? Is it through the summer as well? It's taxed, right?

2. BorntoRun

5+ Year Member

depends, depends, depends. For all of these it really does come down to the department. The information isn't always easy to find on websites; you might consider e-mailing current grad students or asking during interviews.

3. Thrak

Thrak RU experienced?
    7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    This is for us, but probably isn't indicative of anywhere else.

We're paid every two weeks, we're not taxed and I think we should be, and I don't think we get paid during the summer. Summers for us usually entail us teaching a course for additional money. The bonus there is the more courses you teach, the more money you get for teaching subsequent courses.

4. psy86

psy86 Member
    10+ Year Member

FYI, your stipend is most likely still taxable income, even if your university never takes taxes out. You're still technically obligated to report it and pay taxes on it.

5. Eruca

Eruca predoctoral psych intern
    2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I have a teaching assistanceship (TA), get paid monthly, and it is taxed (amount depending on number of exemptions). I generally don't get paid during the summer unless I get one of the limited summer TAs. Although I also have a couple department related clinical externships that pay me hourly.

6. psychmama

5+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I have a grad assistantship (GA) with a stipend that's paid bi-weekly, with tax withholding. It is considered regular, taxable income.

7. sukurux

5+ Year Member

I get paid bi-weekly but there is no tax info on my paystub.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...