Stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering when you guys started getting your stipend? Do they start sending it to you once you begin school or does everyone start getting paid at the same time no matter what? I'm just trying to gauge my finances b/c i've been forking out a lot of cash for my expenses and wanted to see when I can expect that first deposit. I called my recruiter...and he's little to no help. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

It's been a while since I got my stipend but if I remember correctly it doesn't start until 2 - 4 weeks after school starts. It's like a regular paycheck so you get paid after you've started working. On active duty you'll get paid the 1st and the 15th of the month, but I can't remember if I got my stipend in two payments a month or just once.

I am in the same situation myself, but the recruiter said I won't receive the bonus until I am commissioned, which is taking a lot longer than I first imagined. I am assuming I won't get the stipend until I am commissioned as well? Will tuition get paid before I am commissioned? It is getting a little late in the ball game, but I need some straight answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the AF side, the stipends get paid on the 1st and 15th of the month (allowing for the occational adjustment for weekends), so when you get your stipend depends on when you start classes. Your deposit for your "Campus Tour" should be paid in January. If you go to COT before you start school, then that counts as your first year TDY, so your next "tour" will be paid January of your sophomore year. Hope that helps.

I am in the same situation myself, but the recruiter said I won't receive the bonus until I am commissioned, which is taking a lot longer than I first imagined. I am assuming I won't get the stipend until I am commissioned as well? Will tuition get paid before I am commissioned? It is getting a little late in the ball game, but I need some straight answers.

I am not sure what "bonus" you are talking about. If it is the dental bonus, you won't get that until you are finished with school and on AD. If you are talking about your "clothing allowance" you get that ONE time and ONE time only. I got this while in school and it was about $400.

You will get commissioned as an O-1 before you get any stipend. This is probably the same for tution getting paid. Sometimes the military likes to play "games" when it comes to tution. They want to ensure you are enrolled each semester/quarter before they pay tuition. The college wants paid before you are enrolled. This happened a number of times while I was in school. I talked to the college's bursar and explained the situation. Usually they would write a letter to the AF telling them I am enrolled and then the AF would cut the check. It was never too much of a hassle. Remember, you are probably not the only one at your school who has been on a military scholarship so your bursar should know the ins and outs.

I am pretty sure that you pay taxes on the stipend. I guess it lends to reason since they tax the bonus too. The only thing that isn't taxed as far as I know is BAH and that would only come into play for those on HSCP (active duty).

I believe a portion of your stipend is designated for housing or food allowance, so a portion of it is not taxable.

My school never gave me any problems with tuition even though the Army was late paying it sometimes. They know the government is good for it even if its late getting there.

I am not sure what "bonus" you are talking about. If it is the dental bonus, you won't get that until you are finished with school and on AD. If you are talking about your "clothing allowance" you get that ONE time and ONE time only. I got this while in school and it was about $400.

You will get commissioned as an O-1 before you get any stipend. This is probably the same for tution getting paid. Sometimes the military likes to play "games" when it comes to tution. They want to ensure you are enrolled each semester/quarter before they pay tuition. The college wants paid before you are enrolled. This happened a number of times while I was in school. I talked to the college's bursar and explained the situation. Usually they would write a letter to the AF telling them I am enrolled and then the AF would cut the check. It was never too much of a hassle. Remember, you are probably not the only one at your school who has been on a military scholarship so your bursar should know the ins and outs.

The bonus I am referring to is the Navy 20K bonus for HPSP students. Thanks for the info on how you handled the stipend/tuition situation at your school.

I believe a portion of your stipend is designated for housing or food allowance, so a portion of it is not taxable.

My school never gave me any problems with tuition even though the Army was late paying it sometimes. They know the government is good for it even if its late getting there.

are you referring to in school stipend($1300/month) which is for housing and food? How much out of that $1300 is taxable?

I think the stipend is subject to taxes. The only thing I think isn't taxable is the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). I could be wrong, but I assuming the stipend is taxed like a regular pay check.

I think the stipend is subject to taxes. The only thing I think isn't taxable is the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). I could be wrong, but I assuming the stipend is taxed like a regular pay check.

the purpose for stipend is same as that for BAH, which pays for your housing and food. The housing alone would probably cost us over $1000 if you attend a school in NYC or LA. could anyone confirm this?

The bonus I am referring to is the Navy 20K bonus for HPSP students. Thanks for the info on how you handled the stipend/tuition situation at your school.

When did the Navy start doing this? This is a pretty cool deal. I wish I would have had this option back when I was HPSP. The Navy website says contact your recruiter for details. What are the details?

the purpose for stipend is same as that for BAH, which pays for your housing and food. The housing alone would probably cost us over $1000 if you attend a school in NYC or LA. could anyone confirm this?

The only type of pays that are not taxed are "Allowances", i.e. (BAH) basic allowance for housing, (BAS) basic allowance for subsistance. The only time you get these allowances is when on active duty, your 45 days of AT. Your stipend is not an allowance and is taxed like regular income.

My gross stipend pay is $674.50 twice per month. My check after taxes is $647.05, so basically you get taxed about $60 per month.

I am wondering if the stipend will really go up when they say it will. I know they have it in writing, but part of me has to see it to believe it.

I just remembered how Navy accidentally started paying me the stipend like two months after I signed the contract. I bragged to all my buddies and went out and partied hard like a champ...only to find out later at OIS that I wouldn't be getting paid while everyone else was. :D They took every penny back:laugh:

I just remembered how Navy accidentally started paying me the stipend like two months after I signed the contract. I bragged to all my buddies and went out and partied hard like a champ...only to find out later at OIS that I wouldn't be getting paid while everyone else was. :D They took every penny back:laugh:

How long after you signed did it take for you to get your first stipend check?

i just heard today that the stipend isn't going up to the amount that everyone thought. Did anyone else hear this? A friend of mine who is on the AF HPSP called and was told its only going up $30. Not to 1600

The Army HPSP is going to be $1349 this year, and I believe after taxes you will get about $1250. I'm a contracted undergrad ROTC cadet right now but our healthcare recruiter was there today and that is straight from his mouth.

I am pretty sure the hpsp stipend will increase, but we will have to wait and see. It is writing, which is good, but fruition is even better. If the documentation is correct, we won't have long to find out either way. It is the waiting that sucks. At least there is some studying to make the time go faster:)