stirring things up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FutureStork said:
1- 36 MCAT
2- 258 Step I
3- the above indicates that prejudice does exist- by YOU in this case. You assume that my standards are lower than yours. Thanks for proving my point.
4- You COULD NOT handle being a black man. At least you can come back to the U.S. Can't take off your skin.
Some of you earned your positions, that's why I said I was a better applicant than 90% of URM not all. It isn't prejudiced to point out the simple fact that you don't have to do as well as we do. Some of you do, but you don't HAVE to.

If you had to play the MCAT Price Is Right and they took a white student from a school with a 33 average MCAT, you'd probably bet 31 (to avoid going over) or 33 or something. If the student was black, you'd be guessing like 24 if your money is on the line. It isn't prejudice, it's playing the odds. Anything that is fact based is not prejudice. The fact is that MOST URM did not earn their positions in medical school. Don't get mad at me for being aware of that. Get mad a AA for making it that way.

Any discussion saying 'Scores aren't everything' or 'They turn out to be great doctors sometimes' or the like is just a change of subject. It does nothing to address the FACT that every position taken by an URM (or anyone) who was not the best applicant is taken away from a real person. For most URMs in med school, there is a better qualified white or asian kid who has to choose a different career or go abroad or go to a lesser school.

By saying that URMs actually deserve admission because scores aren't everything is implying that the URM is better in some other way. There is no evidence in the world that indicates that underqualified URMs had anything other than melanin that led to their getting admitted ahead of their white or asian couterpart.

Members don't see this ad.

Noyac said:
entourage= david=stephen

I'm on to you.

Good Bye.

...and there was much rejoicing.

Not only is AA in college admissions unconstitutional, in my opinion, the practice seems to be pretty much directly opposed to some of the opening lines of our own Declaration of Independence which states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Disparity in admission standards as compensation for past grievances or for a rough childhood is simply not a legal right...for anybody. Implicit in "all men are created equal" is that all men really are equal in these unalienable rights and values as human beings. Compensatory adjustments to admissions standards that are due to race, gender, genetics, class, or any other conceivable category by their very nature do not treat all men as being equal--it suggests inequality--otherwise there would be no need for compensation.

militarymd said:
I had the data in 1997 when I finished residency and started preparing for the Oral Boards.....since then, I think the data has been "buried"

Here is a link to a single institution experience on USMLE and medical school graduation.

I believe that medical school performance ultimately predicts residency and post-residency performance.

For those who don't believe that, then we just have differences in opinion/observation....and there is nothing else to discuss.

Your link is eye-opening and depressing. Clearly AA is only an imperfect part of the solution.

Why are there underrepresented minorities in medicine? Are we willing to concede that URMs have inferior intellect, work habits and character which makes them unsuitable for careers in medicine? This is in effect what we would be doing if we do not address the issue of URMs in medicine. There is only one Asian dude in the NBA and nobody cares. Is this ok for medicine too?

I do not have the answer.

I agree with you that a history of excellence generally predicts future success. But medical schools are here to serve the needs of society, and not just the needs of brilliant, ambitious premeds. In my part of the country, we are overrun with white, Ivy-league educated, AOA cosmetic dermatologists and refractive surgeons practicing out of La Jolla and Del Mar. I'm sure they all had great MCAT and USMLE scores. Our local weekly would be out of business without their ads so God bless them. But do we really need more gunners? To reiterate my previous point, URM physicians (and IMGs) are more likely to practice in underserved areas. How do we serve the patients who are not interested in Botox, Restylane, and laser facial resurfacing? Do we just say f*ck'em?

Members don't see this ad :)
seattledoc said:
there is no doubt in my mind that prejudice exists still. Nobody is arguing that point. We are having a discussion about how it's being addressed.
Women in medicine were underrepresented 30yrs ago, this is no longer the case. To my knowledge, the bar wasn't lowered when they entered "the man's world" of medicine. I think (not sure though) that women represent >50% admission in some medical schools.
Minorities in medicine are still underrepresented in medicine, how that is being addressed is the problem that many people are having.
If you can't see the other side of this issue, then you are as blind as you're accusing others of being.

Watch out ladies. Brown University is now apparently applying affrimative action to male applicants. Too bad they have to take time out to have kids and make 70 cents on the dollar after finishing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/education/09college.html

nimbus said:

No one has all the answers to the woes of society....that's what makes life interesting.

nimbus said:
I agree with you that a history of excellence generally predicts future success. But medical schools are here to serve the needs of society, and not just the needs of brilliant, ambitious premeds. .................... To reiterate my previous point, URM physicians (and IMGs) are more likely to practice in underserved areas. .............. Do we just say f*ck'em?

Did you not find it interesting that our URM who posted here (futurestork) is posting in the anesthesia forum because her interests are in "money" and "lifestyle".....NOT to "serve the needs of society"....ie not the "underserved areas" in primary care?

nimbus said:
Watch out ladies. Brown University is now apparently applying affrimative action to male applicants. Too bad they have to take time out to have kids and make 70 cents on the dollar after finishing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/education/09college.html

Can't say I'm surprised. We were always "progressive" when I attended Brown, and that was in the early 90s. I see that Dickinson is doing the same thing. Sad commentary on US education if you ask me, all of those young guys sitting around playing Madden instead of studying. Perhaps that has something to do with the US educational system...look at our accomplishments and sense of entitlement as compared to European and Asian countries. Perhaps that is a conversation best left for another time.

Complacency is the enemy of accomplishment.

PMMD

FutureStork said:
I" I think the original poster is an idiot.

prolly lives somewhere in the south im sure

nimbus said:
Your link is eye-opening and depressing. Clearly AA is only an imperfect part of the solution.

Why are there underrepresented minorities in medicine? Are we willing to concede that URMs have inferior intellect, work habits and character which makes them unsuitable for careers in medicine? This is in effect what we would be doing if we do not address the issue of URMs in medicine. There is only one Asian dude in the NBA and nobody cares. Is this ok for medicine too?

I agree with you that a history of excellence generally predicts future success. But medical schools are here to serve the needs of society, and not just the needs of brilliant, ambitious premeds. In my part of the country, we are overrun with white, Ivy-league educated, AOA cosmetic dermatologists and refractive surgeons practicing out of La Jolla and Del Mar. I'm sure they all had great MCAT and USMLE scores. Our local weekly would be out of business without their ads so God bless them. But do we really need more gunners? To reiterate my previous point, URM physicians (and IMGs) are more likely to practice in underserved areas. How do we serve the patients who are not interested in Botox, Restylane, and laser facial resurfacing? Do we just say f*ck'em?

A large portion of underserved areas are in small, white towns not just the inner city, but white applicants from small towns who are more likely to work in these areas are not given preferential treatment. Providing service to the underserved is an excuse for AA, not the reason for it.

It is popular in URM communities to blame racism for failure. Black immigrants from the Carribean and their children do very well in the US, and this exposes the lie. They are poorer than US blacks, but they care more about education as a community. URM failure has less to do with racism and more to do with gangster/hip-hop/criminal/awful grammar culture, drug abuse, teen pregnancy, divorce, etc. At some point they have to address the other real problems for themselves rather than just focusing on the one that they can't control (racism). Dealing with the problems above will go a long way toward eliminated racism. It's easier to be racist against Easy-E than against Sidney Poitier. If you want to be treated well, behave well.

FutureStork said:
I think the original poster is an idiot.

Good bye

You can ban me now for being in america.

student.ie said:
A large portion of underserved areas are in small, white towns not just the inner city, but white applicants from small towns who are more likely to work in these areas are not given preferential treatment. Providing service to the underserved is an excuse for AA, not the reason for it.

It is popular in URM communities to blame racism for failure. Black immigrants from the Carribean and their children do very well in the US, and this exposes the lie. They are poorer than US blacks, but they care more about education as a community. URM failure has less to do with racism and more to do with gangster/hip-hop/criminal/awful grammar culture, drug abuse, teen pregnancy, divorce, etc. At some point they have to address the other real problems for themselves rather than just focusing on the one that they can't control (racism). Dealing with the problems above will go a long way toward eliminated racism. It's easier to be racist against Easy-E than against Sidney Poitier. If you want to be treated well, behave well.

i totally agree.

the "hip-hop culture" is a huge detriment to anyone that gets caught up in it. interestingly enough, it's a problem among many whites as well. it's just not productive for society to value thugs, pimps, and gangstas. and those who do think that stuff's "cool" are simply not going to succeed in the mainstream.

The problem with this discussion is that it is essentially a lot of white people (and one Asian?) trying to figure out what's best for blacks and hispanics; Something that I think history shows we are notoriously horrible at doing. The racism (and sarcastic racism) boiling over is pretty disgusting, and this thread should be taken down.

Affirmative Action has been mostly successful in medicine and has resulted in a much more diverse physician population, more quickly than would have occurred otherwise. It is undoubtedly unfair to upper middle class Caucasians and Asians, but until Blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans get anywhere near the access to the quality primary and secondary education that the former groups have, it is needed to even the playing field. I really don't feel too bad for the "whiny" frat boys out there complaining that they don't get to be a doctor while lying on the beach in the Hamptons. Maybe I would feel different if I had been rejected from medical school, but chances are I would have found something else to do that would have been just as lucrative (maybe moreso) without too much stress. Worst case I could just live off my parents who do pretty well. That's usually not the case for many of the minorities that get in med school with AA.

I do see the economic arguement too. And because the barriers to quality education is as much economic as it is race, I would much prefer some system that favored economic and geographic background over racial makeup, but I haven't heard of any good examples of how that would work. (I would most prefer, though, that we didn't have such ****ty schools in the majority of the United States.)

Just another angry liberal...

it's interesting that you bring up that this is more of an economic issue. I would agree with that and would argue that a URM with a parent holding a graduate/doctorate education is probably not the person in need of a leg up on the competition(i.e. they should have had good education opportunities/role models/etc...), whereas a lower socioeconomic person of any color probably has the odds stacked against them. I wonder how many people that earn MD's have parents with only high school level eduations, it's gotta be fairly rare.

Members don't see this ad :)
hudsontc said:
...and there was much rejoicing.

Not only is AA in college admissions unconstitutional, in my opinion, the practice seems to be pretty much directly opposed to some of the opening lines of our own Declaration of Independence which states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Disparity in admission standards as compensation for past grievances or for a rough childhood is simply not a legal right...for anybody. Implicit in "all men are created equal" is that all men really are equal in these unalienable rights and values as human beings. Compensatory adjustments to admissions standards that are due to race, gender, genetics, class, or any other conceivable category by their very nature do not treat all men as being equal--it suggests inequality--otherwise there would be no need for compensation.

This is the interesting thing about AA. There is so much data to support both why we SHOULD have it, and also why we SHOULDNT have it, but, by and large, everyone makes their internal decision based on opinion or 'feeling'.

I minored in sociology and wrote about 100 pages on the subject over my last year in undergrad, so I feel somewhat knowledgeable on the subject.

1) I understand why many parts of the establishment have openly embraced AA as a necessary way to incorporate minorities (mainly blacks) into both the professional workforce and into higher education. Any intelligent person should understand why this is a positive.

2) I understand why people who only base level or proficiency on test scores would argue that blacks have less aptitude and lower abilities, considering blacks typically do less well on standardized tests. The data is there, its irrefutable. I dont think this necessarily makes you a racist, as long as you understand what you are saying and why you say it (i.e. not "those guys are all f-ing *****s cause they (employ said cultural stereotype)".

3) The backlash is often worse from high-achieving members of other minorities than it is from the 'typical' white male, who, one could argue, is directly affected the most by AA.

4) AA is not a 'cultural experiement'. It is a way to both incorporate a lost segment of the population (~20% of it), most notably, blacks, and to increase the overall acheievement level of the country as a whole. A bunch of liberal whacks from Berkely did not get together and come up with AA as a way to 'right the plight' of the black man. Taken purely, AA is a way to improve both society as a whole and our workforce by incorporating new ideas and new habits heretofore underrecognized in the upper levels of employment and education.

The beauty of it is that you can still think AA is fundamentally wrong (and you may be right) and still support it, because you understand how valuable the end goal is for the country. We abide by the Patriot Act, wiretapping, governmental/corporate manipulation of the economy, reckless warmongering, and the rest, in the name of 'protecting America', but we have the hardest time allowing someone with substandard credentials to achieve something supposedly based on merit, even when it does not directly affect us.

In short, I see the advantage of taking an entire segment of the population that was de facto blocked from entering the system, at least until the 1960's, and promoting their progression, whether this is in medical school, government, or the McDonalds manager training program. I dont see how people think that society just layers itself out over racial tiers and that has nothing to do with inherent inequality.

And mil, wheres your data? Sounds like you tried to stir the pot with one very limited (and biased?) study and some ten-year old 'data'. Again, your belief structure dictates your feelings on this matter, which is not uncommon.

Noyac said:
entourage= david=stephen

I'm on to you.

Good Bye.
Now that's power. Screw being a doctor. I'm gonna be a mod.
P.S. I'm joking :)
Anyway, Seattledoc makes a good point. Not all white people are rich. Some of us had to pay for college ourselves. Nevertheless, I will try to make myself the best applicant possible, disregarding my horrible grades.

Idiopathic said:
And mil, wheres your data? Sounds like you tried to stir the pot with one very limited (and biased?) study and some ten-year old 'data'. Again, your belief structure dictates your feelings on this matter, which is not uncommon.

What do you mean "biased"?

In the last 10 years, availability of certain information has become less and less accessible.

In the last 10 years, proposals to look at certain things are becoming less and less approved.

seattledoc said:
it's interesting that you bring up that this is more of an economic issue. I would agree with that and would argue that a URM with a parent holding a graduate/doctorate education is probably not the person in need of a leg up on the competition(i.e. they should have had good education opportunities/role models/etc...), whereas a lower socioeconomic person of any color probably has the odds stacked against them. I wonder how many people that earn MD's have parents with only high school level eduations, it's gotta be fairly rare.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Poor people without opportunities come in all colors so in order for AA to be fair it needs to address all people taking into account their socioeconomic background regardless of their race.

militarymd said:
What do you mean "biased"?

In the last 10 years, availability of certain information has become less and less accessible.

In the last 10 years, proposals to look at certain things are becoming less and less approved.

What do you think I mean by 'biased'? One study, looking at one medical school is certainly not in any way representative of the whole, as a scientist, you should know that. And what was the motive behind this study, was it truly just investigative?

And I think the rest is a copout. If you are going to pretend to base your beliefs on 'data', then look for the data. Also, your implication is that people arent allowed to do such research, and I would disagree with that 100%. A LARGE proportion of academia/government would love to truly be able to retrospectively discredit AA. I dont think its happened yet.

toughlife said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. Poor people without opportunities come in all colors so in order for AA to be fair it needs to address all people taking into account their socioeconomic background regardless of their race.

This is the best point raised so far. The Michigan AA plan from back in the 90's (I think) gave 'points' based on various factors, one of which was socioeconomic status, regardless of race, and also hometown region. 150 points were awarded base don academic criteria, typically 100 were needed to gain admission. On top of that, additional points were awarded for being a MI resident (10 points) being from the remote upper peninsula (16 points) and being a minority (20 points), also points were awarded for 'legacies' and Olympic athletes, etc.

So, a white student for the upper peninsula would get 26 points while a black Michigan resident would get 30. Thats relatively good balance between the two, I think. Of course, the courts overturned this plan, easily the best one Ive seen.

Idiopathic said:
What do you think I mean by 'biased'? One study, looking at one medical school is certainly not in any way representative of the whole, as a scientist, you should know that. And what was the motive behind this study, was it truly just investigative?

And I think the rest is a copout. If you are going to pretend to base your beliefs on 'data', then look for the data. Also, your implication is that people arent allowed to do such research, and I would disagree with that 100%. A LARGE proportion of academia/government would love to truly be able to retrospectively discredit AA. I dont think its happened yet.

To me, "biased" means that a study was conducted in a way to that manipulates the data to support a foregone conclusion.

As I had mentioned when posting the link, it is a single institution experience....obviously with all the weaknesses that goes with single institution data.

It does not appear "biased" to me.....it just examines the differences in performance in different groups at that particular medical school.

This small, single institution study shows a trend that I observed during medical school and during my tenure in an academic training program...albeit it is a military one......

Anyone with hard data to refute what I posted and what I experienced...please post it.

Although, the title of the post is "stirring things up", I'm truly interested in open debate and education of all who are involved in the debate.

What is an URM? I guess I might be one since I am a minority. You'd like to think that being a doctor would make you immune from prejudices and racism but it doesn't. I know I'm far from the best medical student...I got a 33 on my MCAT (i took a kaplan course) a 206 on Step 1 (no kaplan course) and 231 on Step 2 (again i took a kaplan course). Those courses really help, they focus your attention on high yield stuff or else you're just stuyding whatever minuta you happen to read about. I don't know for me at least I know a prep course definitly helps for any board. It just sucks knowing there are ppl out there predominately white ppl who will think the only reason I got where I am is because I am a minority. That really blows. But whatever. I think the majority of ppl on these thread are complete *****s tho, I really do. But whatever, being a minority I know my opinion counts for little in white america.

medstudent99 said:
What is an URM? I guess I might be one since I am a minority. You'd like to think that being a doctor would make you immune from prejudices and racism but it doesn't. I know I'm far from the best medical student...I got a 33 on my MCAT (i took a kaplan course) a 206 on Step 1 (no kaplan course) and 231 on Step 2 (again i took a kaplan course). Those courses really help, they focus your attention on high yield stuff or else you're just stuyding whatever minuta you happen to read about. I don't know for me at least I know a prep course definitly helps for any board. It just sucks knowing there are ppl out there predominately white ppl who will think the only reason I got where I am is because I am a minority. That really blows. But whatever. I think the majority of ppl on these thread are complete *****s tho, I really do. But whatever, being a minority I know my opinion counts for little in white america.

and i'm only 25, i'm not one of these old bastards that took 10 years to study for my steps

And yeah seattle doc both of my parents only hold high school degrees. What a lot of you fail to see is black culture is so rich. I almost wish I stayed on the block and didn't even put up with all this bullsh&! You all are really pretensious dinguses. Whatever white america has to offer it comes no where close to what black america is...besides it access to healthcare.

i will never be your uppity negro, uncle tom, house boy

medstudent99 said:
i will never be your uppity negro, uncle tom, house boy

are you for real? I don't even know what you mean by that. seriously

And just because your parents only have HS educations doesn't prove my point wrong. I bet if you ask around your class, you'll see a trend. Or maybe you'll prove me wrong, I was only going on my own med school experience and trying to make a point that med school isn't a place loaded with that many po' folk's kids.

medstudent99 said:
But whatever. I think the majority of ppl on these thread are complete *****s tho, I really do. But whatever, being a minority I know my opinion counts for little in white america.

With that kinda attitude, you're right. Noone is gonna listen to you.

And thats in America. Not, as you put it, "white america."

seattledoc said:
are you for real? I don't even know what you mean by that. seriously

And just because your parents only have HS educations doesn't prove my point wrong. I bet if you ask around your class, you'll see a trend. Or maybe you'll prove me wrong, I was only going on my own med school experience and trying to make a point that med school isn't a place loaded with that many po' folk's kids.

ANYBODY ELSE NOTICE A TREND HERE?

Namely, most TROLL posts come from people with <10 posts?

Looks like we're being punked by imposters/banned individuals looking to do nothing but stir the s h it.

I've been skimming through these AA threads recently and I have a question. Why does everyone just assume it's the middle class frat boy that's getting his spot taken by a lower-stat URM? It's always said in a derogatory fashion, whether it be the actual choice of words or the tone of the entire post... just curious really.

Disclaimer: Yes, I am a middle class white guy, no frat though.

toughlife said:

There are loans, scholarships, waivers for MCAT, waivers for primary/secondary applications, and special considerations for admissions based solely on socioeconomic background.

medstudent99 said:

Does that mean you are against AA policies?

starsop93 said:
The problem with this discussion is that it is essentially a lot of white people (and one Asian?) trying to figure out what's best for blacks and hispanics; Something that I think history shows we are notoriously horrible at doing. The racism (and sarcastic racism) boiling over is pretty disgusting, and this thread should be taken down.

The entire point of the thread was to get some alternative perspectives. The "white people (and one asian)" would love to get the other side's take. The responses so far:
FutureStork said:
I only read the initial message and read some of the responses. Since we are in the business of posting what is on our minds "and stirring up stuff" I think the original poster is an idiot. Keep this crap to yourself. You are clearly one of many of the arrogant people that I have met in my career in medicine. You have absolutely no idea how it feels walking in the shoes of an underrepresented minority in the United States, especially in a white man's career. You have no clue.

We would like a clue if it is not to much to ask. While the diatribe about the OP's intellectual merits is an opinion that the poster is certainly permitted (though will be contested), something more revealing would be appreciated. I'm a white male from very rural South Texas (only 2 Black families in the entire county I grew up in) so I really have no idea how AA affects the URM's or if it is even looked upon favorably.

starsop93 said:
I do see the economic arguement too. And because the barriers to quality education is as much economic as it is race, I would much prefer some system that favored economic and geographic background over racial makeup, but I haven't heard of any good examples of how that would work. (I would most prefer, though, that we didn't have such ****ty schools in the majority of the United States.)

Absolutely!!! Geographic diversity is a bit of a consideration here (or it was when I got in) as a number of my classmates were from truly rural areas (not just claiming to be, but actually were) and a number of them, including me, were first gen college grads. However, that may be state dependent and school dependent. That being said, some of the individuals brought in for diversity really have a hard time (some started before I did and still haven't finished). While it may be tempting to accuse the tests and grades of syphoning out the minorities, those that barely got in have had difficulties. So, is it due to the bias of the grades and tests and the world that devises them? Or, is it actually that scores give a somewhat accurate representation of the candidate?

Reading t hrough these posts just tells me why I havent posted on this thread in a while. Physicians are supposed to be the most intelligent people in society and the posts on this board is not in keeping with this. Shameful. I wonder if we would get the same kind of responses from another group of professionals. I am really shocked. Shows we have a long, long way to go.

redstorm said:
Reading t hrough these posts just tells me why I havent posted on this thread in a while. Physicians are supposed to be the most intelligent people in society and the posts on this board is not in keeping with this. Shameful. I wonder if we would get the same kind of responses from another group of professionals. I am really shocked. Shows we have a long, long way to go.

Until everyone finally agrees with you, I presume??
So much for the "open minded", "progressive" left, that deem anyone that disagrees with their viewpoint as somehow unintelligent, or simply crazy. What a trip.

redstorm said:
Physicians are supposed to be the most intelligent people in society and the posts on this board is not in keeping with this. Shameful. QUOTE]

I agree. This is obviously a touchy topic for a lot of people. That's why they say, “don't discuss politics at work." This falls into the same category. You can't just put your opinions on a public website and get upset with others when they are offended. There is such an underlying negative tone with this thread, despite the "just wondering what your opinion is" disguise. I wish I had not even responded or given it the time of day. The most disappointing thing is that my colleagues feel a certain way that they only feel comfortable discussing when identities are not revealed. Makes me wonder what my co-worker is thinking of me. Do they think I'm a "chinaman" if I was Asian or that I got a free ticket since I'm black? That my parents are rich and that I'm spoiled if I was white? That I can't speak English well if I were a FMG?Sickening.

Moderator, please discontinue the thread. It has nothing to do with anesthesia, anyway. No negative responses, please.

redstorm said:
Reading t hrough these posts just tells me why I havent posted on this thread in a while..

Great.

See ya later then. Buh-bye.

BTW, its OK to have a non-politically-correct opinion and concominantly be a doctor.

Its OK that we all don't follow the "this-is-the-way-you-should-think-and-respond-since you-are-a-doctor" creed.

I'm not an AA fan. Saying that is not a racial slur.

I'm not a fan of outside-the-match slots for DOs. Saying that does not mean I think DOs are inferior.

The above means I'm a fan of a level playing ground.

As Mil so eloquently observed, the NBA is mostly....uhhhhhh... black. The NAVY SEALS are mostly....uhhhhhh....in-shape-assassins. Are these groups discriminating against white basketball players and fat soldiers?

No. They've leveled the playing ground. And they've selected the best individuals.

Medicine should be no different.

FutureStork said:
redstorm said:
Physicians are supposed to be the most intelligent people in society and the posts on this board is not in keeping with this. Shameful. QUOTE]

I agree. This is obviously a touchy topic for a lot of people. That's why they say, “don't discuss politics at work." This falls into the same category. You can't just put your opinions on a public website and get upset with others when they are offended. There is such an underlying negative tone with this thread, despite the "just wondering what your opinion is" disguise. I wish I had not even responded or given it the time of day. The most disappointing thing is that my colleagues feel a certain way that they only feel comfortable discussing when identities are not revealed. Makes me wonder what my co-worker is thinking of me. Do they think I'm a "chinaman" if I was Asian or that I got a free ticket since I'm black? That my parents are rich and that I'm spoiled if I was white? That I can't speak English well if I were a FMG?Sickening.

Moderator, please discontinue the thread. It has nothing to do with anesthesia, anyway. No negative responses, please.

Go ahead and respond with your "token" flames, Future.

But I'll post this again.

I have 3 partners.

One a Mississippi crakka.

One a black-native-New-Orleanian

One Indian.

Each was selected because of their deft ability to be an anesthesiologist.

You seem to correlate anti-AA attitudes with racism.

Just ain't true.

starsop93 said:

Affirmative Action has been mostly successful in medicine and has resulted in a much more diverse physician population, more quickly than would have occurred otherwise. It is undoubtedly unfair to upper middle class Caucasians and Asians, but until Blacks, Hispanics, and Native Americans get anywhere near the access to the quality primary and secondary education that the former groups have, it is needed to even the playing field. I really don't feel too bad for the "whiny" frat boys out there complaining that they don't get to be a doctor while lying on the beach in the Hamptons. Maybe I would feel different if I had been rejected from medical school, but chances are I would have found something else to do that would have been just as lucrative (maybe moreso) without too much stress. Worst case I could just live off my parents who do pretty well. That's usually not the case for many of the minorities that get in med school with AA.

Just another angry liberal...

Hmmmm....where do I start?

jetproppilot said:
Great.

See ya later then. Buh-bye.

BTW, its OK to have a non-politically-correct opinion and concominantly be a doctor.

Its OK that we all don't follow the "this-is-the-way-you-should-think-and-respond-since you-are-a-doctor" creed.

I'm not an AA fan. Saying that is not a racial slur.

I'm not a fan of outside-the-match slots for DOs. Saying that does not mean I think DOs are inferior.

The above means I'm a fan of a level playing ground.

As Mil so eloquently observed, the NBA is mostly....uhhhhhh... black. The NAVY SEALS are mostly....uhhhhhh....in-shape-assassins. Are these groups discriminating against white basketball players and fat soldiers?

No. They've leveled the playing ground. And they've selected the best individuals.

Medicine should be no different.
OH MY GOD. That was so ridiculously nicely put. Wow. That was amazing jet. Wow... Your my new hero! lol

Wow jet. You've got some mad skills. Your a da mn good motivational-speaker. JETPROPPILOT FOR PRESIDENT!!!

I hope you guys are upset because AA makes its easier for URMs to get into med school, not that AA produces inferior doctors. Like Jet said, "Each was selected because of their deft ability to be an anesthesiologist." This includes the black-native-New-Orleanian.

I'm sure you can list examples of doctors (who happen to be URMs) who screwed up an operation or misdiagnosed someone, but to blame this on AA is a stretch.

What was Dr. James Jaggers' excuse (botched the surgery of Jesica Santillan)? or Dr. Chae Hyun Moon's (performed unnecessary and invasive heart procedures)? or Dr. Allan Zarkin's (carved his initials into the belly of a patient after performing a C-section)? or the excuse of any number of the non-URM physicians whose screw-ups can be read about in books like "Internal Bleeding" or "Wall of Silence"?

You can get rid of AA tomorrow and doctors (Caucasians, Asians, and URMs) will still make mistakes, regardless of what their GPAs and Board Scores were in med school.

militarymd said:
You have impressive stats. AA or no AA....it doesn't matter, you will get into (and you did) medical school....and likely do VERY well in medical school.

Sooooo.....as a URM who DERSERVES to be anything you want to be......why would you want to be associated with a group of people (AA beneficiaries) who perform much lower than you and use their skin color to get something they otherwise would not get.....sort of like nepotism.

Oh...and BTW......AA advocates say the AA URMs will more likely go into primary care and serve URM communities in providing basic, often neglected healthcare......

It is not lost on me....that you are posting on the ANESTHESIA forum....a specialty where the folks make BIG money and work short hours......I believe that's why you're interested per your first posts here????

The IRONY is sooooo thick.

Hey future,

Why is it that anytime there is pro/con thread on topics like this....the usual progression is this:

1) Pro AA guy, like me, asks questions, points out some facts, hoping to see the other sides arguments....other than "diversity" is good....because I'm pointing out the "diversity" leads to decreased measurable performance

2) This is rapidly followed by name calling and deviation from the questions asked.

For example, my above thread.....no answers.....another example...my questions to LizzyM...about why URMs have difficulty passing boards etc...if they are equally qualified as she points out......NO ANSWERS....

Only calling me names....why?

I think I know why.

I hope you address my questions.....but I know what to expect.

FutureStork said:
The most disappointing thing is that my colleagues feel a certain way that they only feel comfortable discussing when identities are not revealed.

My identity is no secret.

I'm just waiting for Ernie Els to become a US citizen so he can say he is african-american and get all the benies.

militarymd said:
Hey future,

I hope you address my questions.....but I know what to expect.

Yep, your right! You know what to expect. :laugh:

Again, don't mistake silence for agreement with you or that you "shut someone up." Or if it makes you feel better, think what you want to think. No more (as Jet put it) "token" responses from me. Just don't want to give this anymore time.

God bless!

dogbone65 said:
I'm just waiting for Ernie Els to become a US citizen so he can say he is african-american and get all the benies.

Had a buddy in college who emigrated from South Africa in his younger years. He always claimed to be "African-American".

militarymd said:
Why is it that anytime there is pro/con thread on topics like this....the usual progression is this...
2) This is rapidly followed by name calling and deviation from the questions asked...

stumbled on this thread... i'm a cardiotron, but since this is a non-gas related topic, i hope you guys will forgive my intrusion...

this is a very charged topic, and any expectation to not see some flaming is parochial. especially since even the supreme court was largely divided on this issue with emotional arguments going both ways (Grutter v. Bollinger, 5:4).

albeit the pro-AA guys have resorted to senseless name-calling, the anti-AA guys generally seem to own this thread with sarcasm and even have a cheering squad. ;)

i'm not a big fan of AA as it stands, but i am a believer in making diversity a compelling interest of higher education. jetpropilot's argument regarding the NBA and SEALs is a good one, but it has it's shortcomings. the paramount goal of the participants in both organizations is performance: in the first, it's for competition, and the second, for survival. i have a hard time translating this logic to higher education. i don't feel education should be a meritocracy based strictly on performance, but also should make diversity (in many forms) an implicit goal in the academic environment. admittedly, the process is imperfect...

P.S. 'twas an NICE job you did with the afibber, milMD. :)

Qtip96 said:
jetpropilot's argument regarding the NBA and SEALs is a good one, but it has it's shortcomings. the paramount goal of the participants in both organizations is performance: in the first, it's for competition, and the second, for survival. i have a hard time translating this logic to higher education. i don't feel education should be a meritocracy based strictly on performance, but also should make diversity (in many forms) an implicit goal in the academic environment. admittedly, the process is imperfect...

I would counter that Medicine is also about saving lives (survival), not strictly "higher education". Wouldn't you want to be sure that the individual taking care of you is the best possible individual you can get?

In the other areas of higher education, I don't feel as strongly. Seldom does anyone die in a debate of who the true writer of all Shakespeare's work is.

FutureStork said:
Yep, your right! You know what to expect. :laugh:

Again, don't mistake silence for agreement with you or that you "shut someone up." Or if it makes you feel better, think what you want to think. No more (as Jet put it) "token" responses from me. Just don't want to give this anymore time.

God bless!

I am not mistaking silence for agreement....I want you to answer the questions that I posed....why can't that be done?

If URMs are equally qualified, then why the problems with passing standardized measures of performance.

And why you, a stellar performer, would ever want to be lumped in with those who do not perform?

Qtip96 said:
albeit the pro-AA guys have resorted to senseless name-calling, the anti-AA guys generally seem to own this thread with sarcasm and even have a cheering squad. ;)

It's hard not to show sarcasm when your opponent in the debate resorts to name calling when unable to give answers that support their point of view in an mature manner.

Thanks for the compliment btw...