Jongho Yoon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I was lucky to get accepted to both schools, and I just wanted to hear you guy's opinion about this (couldn't find a thread about this). I like SF area and weather very much, but SB's tuition is cheaper (+ housing is cheaper too). I think both schools are great. So it's basically great area/weather vs. money for me. Please tell me any info about these schools I might not know but want to know too. Thank you.

jaa

Jun 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I would pick Stony Brook. The weather in SF isn't that great...its usually very gloomy. Stony Brook is considerably cheaper and you get the most out of your education because of its small class size. Also, Stony Brook is pretty close to NYC, so its a great balance.

Destiny11

7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I would pick Stony Brook. The weather in SF isn't that great...its usually very gloomy. Stony Brook is considerably cheaper and you get the most out of your education because of its small class size. Also, Stony Brook is pretty close to NYC, so its a great balance.
weather...isn't NY known as being snowy in the winter and humid in the summer?

gegogi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Both are public schools, so cheap tuition would not be a significant factor now. Who said the weather in SF isn't that great? Have you ever been in LI, NY? A lot of cold and snow at stony brook. As saying Stonybrook, it's not that great school. It's just known for a cheap school among other private schools in Boston and NY area. And, their class size is so small(~40), so it's obvious that their GPA and DAT are way higher than others. But, you should know that every top 40 of schools has that high GPA and DAT. Some of my friends kept saying that stonybrook has very high applicants and their performances are way better than others, but it's not true. They should have learn Stat.

Streetwolf

Ultra Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
NJ
Status
Dentist
Both are public schools, so cheap tuition would not be a significant factor now. Who said the weather in SF isn't that great? Have you ever been in LI, NY? A lot of cold and snow at stony brook. As saying Stonybrook, it's not that great school. It's just known for a cheap school among other private schools in Boston and NY area. And, their class size is so small(~40), so it's obvious that their GPA and DAT are way higher than others. But, you should know that every top 40 of schools has that high GPA and DAT. Some of my friends kept saying that stonybrook has very high applicants and their performances are way better than others, but it's not true. They should have learn Stat.
You try going to SB Dental. Then come back and say that again.

I suppose Harvard with their less than 39 students is the same.

We're not 'better' but most of my classmates are very smart when it comes to academics.

sonofapizzaman

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Streetwolf, I am really on the fence here, and I think you might be able to help.

I have been accepted to Stony Brook and am wait listed at Buffalo and Maryland. Right now if I were given a spot in either of the other 2 programs I would likely take it. I feel like a class size that small will make me feel claustrophobic and it will lead to some real gunning. I also like the idea of being in an area that isn't so suburban.

You've been there a while. What can you tell me about the SB program that would convince me to come? What can you tell me about some negatives?

Also, please don't tell me anything about the other programs because you haven't taken classes in their dental program.

Mar 25, 2010
Status
I was lucky to get accepted to both schools, and I just wanted to hear you guy's opinion about this (couldn't find a thread about this). I like SF area and weather very much, but SB's tuition is cheaper (+ housing is cheaper too). I think both schools are great. So it's basically great area/weather vs. money for me. Please tell me any info about these schools I might not know but want to know too. Thank you.
Jongho Yoon, did you get accepted off the waitlist? if so, when??

Jongho Yoon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Jongho Yoon, did you get accepted off the waitlist? if so, when??
Yeah, just yesterday. I didn't expect to get a seat, when I signed off the waitlist form, because I was from OOS and thought I had almost no chance of getting in.

How's life in SB? Aren't students so competitive due to ABCF grading system and small class size?

Dec 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Yeah, just yesterday. I didn't expect to get a seat, when I signed off the waitlist form, because I was from OOS and thought I had almost no chance of getting in.

How's life in SB? Aren't students so competitive due to ABCF grading system and small class size?
I guarantee P/F system will protect your sanity during your dental school years :)

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2009
Status
Dentist
i would take UCSF

but that's TOTALLY my opinion :D

CONGRATS though!

UCSF2012

Tooth Rehab Student
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2007
Status
Rehab Sci Student
I hear SB teaches their students to have parallel walls on an MO prep, not converging walls. ...That's just ridiculous. I try to be understanding and all, but this one takes the cake. I won't have any part in this propaganda.

Streetwolf

Ultra Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
NJ
Status
Dentist
Streetwolf, I am really on the fence here, and I think you might be able to help.

I have been accepted to Stony Brook and am wait listed at Buffalo and Maryland. Right now if I were given a spot in either of the other 2 programs I would likely take it. I feel like a class size that small will make me feel claustrophobic and it will lead to some real gunning. I also like the idea of being in an area that isn't so suburban.

You've been there a while. What can you tell me about the SB program that would convince me to come? What can you tell me about some negatives?

Also, please don't tell me anything about the other programs because you haven't taken classes in their dental program.

Forgot about this thread. Don't come into this subforum too often.

Really there aren't many people in my class that are gunners. During the first year and a half perhaps 3-5 but now it's about 1-2 and it can be overlooked here and there. A lot of us are very friendly.

I like the whole paperless system and digital radiographs. I'm sure it could be better (I hear Maryland is pretty awesome with that stuff) but I'd much rather have what we have than be writing in patients' charts by hand.

I think our faculty is really good at the school. I think we learn a lot for the clinic and we also start very early (November of 2nd year). We're doing operative procedures usually by January of 2nd year.

There's always going to be something bad about the school. I think our administration could be better, but we just recently got a new Dean and also a new Dean of Academic Affairs. So far things seem pretty good with that. There are always obnoxious policies in clinic wherever you are. Never a problem getting new patients but you don't always end up with what you need.

The school is also pretty heavy on the perio and oral biology departments. If you like either of these, then you'll have a great time. I personally am sick and tired of these classes. They keep coming back. They also push research hard at us (not required to do any), so you'll have to deal with some 'research days' where they pull you out of clinic to watch presentations.

All in all I made the right choice for me. If you're looking to specialize you can STILL come here and be good with that. You'll also graduate being a great clinician.

Oh and the location sucks. I am sick of Long Island haha.

sonofapizzaman

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
Forgot about this thread. Don't come into this subforum too often.

Really there aren't many people in my class that are gunners. During the first year and a half perhaps 3-5 but now it's about 1-2 and it can be overlooked here and there. A lot of us are very friendly.

I like the whole paperless system and digital radiographs. I'm sure it could be better (I hear Maryland is pretty awesome with that stuff) but I'd much rather have what we have than be writing in patients' charts by hand.

I think our faculty is really good at the school. I think we learn a lot for the clinic and we also start very early (November of 2nd year). We're doing operative procedures usually by January of 2nd year.

There's always going to be something bad about the school. I think our administration could be better, but we just recently got a new Dean and also a new Dean of Academic Affairs. So far things seem pretty good with that. There are always obnoxious policies in clinic wherever you are. Never a problem getting new patients but you don't always end up with what you need.

The school is also pretty heavy on the perio and oral biology departments. If you like either of these, then you'll have a great time. I personally am sick and tired of these classes. They keep coming back. They also push research hard at us (not required to do any), so you'll have to deal with some 'research days' where they pull you out of clinic to watch presentations.

All in all I made the right choice for me. If you're looking to specialize you can STILL come here and be good with that. You'll also graduate being a great clinician.

Oh and the location sucks. I am sick of Long Island haha.
Thanks for the response. I think that I would be very happy with my decision. At the end of the day, I do not have a desire to go into a specialty. I just want to be a GP. I am glad that you think that the training will make that a reality!

Good luck. I do have one last question: how do year 3/4 compare to 1/2? I know that you're more into clinical, just like any other school, but have you been happy with the transition? Are you able to focus on dentistry and making yourself a better clinician?

Streetwolf

Ultra Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
NJ
Status
Dentist
Thanks for the response. I think that I would be very happy with my decision. At the end of the day, I do not have a desire to go into a specialty. I just want to be a GP. I am glad that you think that the training will make that a reality!

Good luck. I do have one last question: how do year 3/4 compare to 1/2? I know that you're more into clinical, just like any other school, but have you been happy with the transition? Are you able to focus on dentistry and making yourself a better clinician?
I am soooooo much more relaxed right now (year 3) than I was one year ago.

I think year 1 is all about getting adjusted to dental school.
Year 2 at SB is where they throw EVERYTHING at you. It's tough but manageable in the end. You also start clinic and working with patients so the transition into year 3 clinic isn't bad.
Year 3 starts out kind of tough but by about March it gets pretty good. You'll be in clinic 4 days a week.
Year 4 seems to be the best (why wouldn't it be?). It's pretty much all about requirements by that point. And everyone gets the requirements done eventually.

Streetwolf

Ultra Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
NJ
Status
Dentist
hey Streetwolf ~

SB dental is P/F right? so how do the students get a ranking? Is there no ranking system?
The vast majority of classes are A,B,C,F.
Clinical courses are U,S,H (honors).

A few didactic courses are U,S,H as well.

They keep rankings for administrative purposes but otherwise don't send out GPAs or ranks to programs as far as I know.

wigglytooth

Assistant Wiggle-ator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Clinic is actually turning into ABCF. I think this silly but they want to give us more grades b/c the boards will eventually be p/f. Yay guinea pig year! To the OP, listen to Streetwolf. I second what he says (I am a second year).