Stony Brook University Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you Thank you .......Rochester and Wright State University are the other two....

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you Thank you .......Rochester and Wright State University are the other two....

awesome. i applied to Rochester too but got rejected...lol... i take it you are a NY resident?.... good luck with those schools.

Thanks good luck to you too.....How good is Stony for early clinical experience......besides ICM.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks good luck to you too.....How good is Stony for early clinical experience......besides ICM.....

from what i hear, SB is not the in the best tier for clinical experience since it is located far out in long island so the patient pool is not as diverse as in the city. But the clinical skill center looks like i place where we might pick up many skills early in our journey.

i think SB med school students might have more to say about this topic though.

ICM and the clinical skills center, as well as course specific patient simulations (you will have a little in biochem, a few in physiology) is all the clinical experience you get during first year. With each ICM, you get a corresponding morning lecture and also skills workshop for whatever section of the history and physical exam (H&P) you are covering that day. For example, you may have a lecture in the morning on the cardio portion of the physical exam, then you go to your workshop where a preceptor runs you through actually doing things like measuring JVD, auscultating, etc.

How educational your actual patient experience is depends alot on your site and your preceptor. Some people only spent like a couple hours at their ICM and barely had to do anything. For example, one of my friends was at Stony, went in for a couple hours, only did the portion of the H&P that they learned that morning (sometimes their preceptors would postpone their sessions and let them do them later), and that was it.

For me, I had my ICM site at the VA hospital, which is an hour away from Stony. I would drive there after morning class, and sometimes it would last 3-4 hours. The site director would give his own lecture on the portion of the H&P for about an hour, and then we would go meet our preceptor and patient, and have to do the WHOLE thing up to what we learned that day. On top of that we had to do patient writeups as well. And they took their evaluations seriously.

The drive and not being able to use that day to study or horse around was annoying, but in retrospect it was good practice. At the end of the year, there is an OSCE (simulated patient exam) that you must pass, in the Clinical skills center. I thought I had to go Friday, but actually I was slotted for THURSDAY, and found out 15 min before my time slot. Because I had SO much practice throughout the year, I went in there with no prep and did just fine. Other people were doing stuff like watching videos and reading transcripts and practicing on each other to prepare - I didn't have to.

So your clinical experience first year all depends. Everyone's will be different.

ICM and the clinical skills center, as well as course specific patient simulations (you will have a little in biochem, a few in physiology) is all the clinical experience you get during first year. With each ICM, you get a corresponding morning lecture and also skills workshop for whatever section of the history and physical exam (H&P) you are covering that day. For example, you may have a lecture in the morning on the cardio portion of the physical exam, then you go to your workshop where a preceptor runs you through actually doing things like measuring JVD, auscultating, etc.

How educational your actual patient experience is depends alot on your site and your preceptor. Some people only spent like a couple hours at their ICM and barely had to do anything. For example, one of my friends was at Stony, went in for a couple hours, only did the portion of the H&P that they learned that morning (sometimes their preceptors would postpone their sessions and let them do them later), and that was it.

For me, I had my ICM site at the VA hospital, which is an hour away from Stony. I would drive there after morning class, and sometimes it would last 3-4 hours. The site director would give his own lecture on the portion of the H&P for about an hour, and then we would go meet our preceptor and patient, and have to do the WHOLE thing up to what we learned that day. On top of that we had to do patient writeups as well. And they took their evaluations seriously.

The drive and not being able to use that day to study or horse around was annoying, but in retrospect it was good practice. At the end of the year, there is an OSCE (simulated patient exam) that you must pass, in the Clinical skills center. I thought I had to go Friday, but actually I was slotted for THURSDAY, and found out 15 min before my time slot. Because I had SO much practice throughout the year, I went in there with no prep and did just fine. Other people were doing stuff like watching videos and reading transcripts and practicing on each other to prepare - I didn't have to.

So your clinical experience first year all depends. Everyone's will be different.
Thank you very much for the reply so icm is the preceptor class? I thought it was the class where students just practiced on standardized patients and dummies......

Thank you very much for the reply so icm is the preceptor class? I thought it was the class where students just practiced on standardized patients and dummies......

It's both standardized patients and real patients.

Intro to Clinical Medicine has different components. They split up the H&P into different segments (H: chief complaint, history of present illness, past medical and surgical history, meds, allergies, family history, social history, review of systems; P: Vitals, HEENT, Back, Lungs, Heart, Abdomen, Neuro/Musculoskeletal) for which you will have a lecture and then a small group workshop with a preceptor/leader who will run thru the individual techniques.

Your ICM clinical site (SBU HSC, Winthrop, VA, NUMC) is where you will meet with real patients and perform whatever portion of the H&P you learned that day (or in my case, do everything up to what you learned, and submit a writeup). They usually split the group up at each site into 2s, and you and yoru partner are assigned a preceptor at that site, who will supervise and evaluate you while you work with the patient.

ICM also includes sessions at the Clinical Skills Center - those are the standardized patients (actors) in simulated clinical settings.

And on a minor note, there are mandatory shadowing events at the beginning of the year at different sites (and in different specialities) which also fall under ICM (or "special events" on the calendar).

ICM is pass fail so don't sweat it.

It's both standardized patients and real patients.

Intro to Clinical Medicine has different components. They split up the H&P into different segments (H: chief complaint, history of present illness, past medical and surgical history, meds, allergies, family history, social history, review of systems; P: Vitals, HEENT, Back, Lungs, Heart, Abdomen, Neuro/Musculoskeletal) for which you will have a lecture and then a small group workshop with a preceptor/leader who will run thru the individual techniques.

Your ICM clinical site (SBU HSC, Winthrop, VA, NUMC) is where you will meet with real patients and perform whatever portion of the H&P you learned that day (or in my case, do everything up to what you learned, and submit a writeup). They usually split the group up at each site into 2s, and you and yoru partner are assigned a preceptor at that site, who will supervise and evaluate you while you work with the patient.

ICM also includes sessions at the Clinical Skills Center - those are the standardized patients (actors) in simulated clinical settings.

And on a minor note, there are mandatory shadowing events at the beginning of the year at different sites (and in different specialities) which also fall under ICM (or "special events" on the calendar).

ICM is pass fail so don't sweat it.

thanks for the information eternalrage! this type of feedback is very valuable.

hey all, just wanted to stop by... I just got my acceptance letter. I'm from Minnesota but was really impressed with the school on my visit and am fairly certain I'll be attending.

hey all, just wanted to stop by... I just got my acceptance letter. I'm from Minnesota but was really impressed with the school on my visit and am fairly certain I'll be attending.

congratulations! where else did u apply?

I applied all over and interviewed at Minnesota, Wisconsin, George Washington, Stony Brook, Wayne State, Penn State, and NYMC.

Stony Brook is easily a top choice though.

I applied all over and interviewed at Minnesota, Wisconsin, George Washington, Stony Brook, Wayne State, Penn State, and NYMC.

Stony Brook is easily a top choice though.

glad to hear that....... good luck and mayb see you next year.

from what i hear, SB is not the in the best tier for clinical experience since it is located far out in long island so the patient pool is not as diverse as in the city.

False. Stony Brook is a Level 1 trauma center with every medical and surgical subspecialty you can think of besides major (i.e. other than kidney) transplantation. You get the affluent, insured patients from the south fork (think Hamptons) and North Shore, plus the illegal immigrant day laborers and everyone in between. With the immigrant population comes healthy amounts of rare diseases not endemic to this region (Tb, Hepatitis, malaria), plus the opportunity to serve the uninsured. Ironically enough, Stony Brook itself provides lots of interesting pathology, as it attracts many foreign born citizens to work the graduate research arena. I've seen a number of international Stony Brook employees with really random diseases. Is it a knife and gun club like inner city hospitals? Certainly not, but there is plenty of trauma with all the terrible drivers on Long Island, not to mention boating and motorcycles in the summer.

Also, none of this really matters in terms of early clinical experience, as learning how to do a good H&P will be enough without trying to diagnose bird flu in your patient with a cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
False. Stony Brook is a Level 1 trauma center with every medical and surgical subspecialty you can think of besides major (i.e. other than kidney) transplantation. You get the affluent, insured patients from the south fork (think Hamptons) and North Shore, plus the illegal immigrant day laborers and everyone in between. With the immigrant population comes healthy amounts of rare diseases not endemic to this region (Tb, Hepatitis, malaria), plus the opportunity to serve the uninsured. Ironically enough, Stony Brook itself provides lots of interesting pathology, as it attracts many foreign born citizens to work the graduate research arena. I've seen a number of international Stony Brook employees with really random diseases. Is it a knife and gun club like inner city hospitals? Certainly not, but there is plenty of trauma with all the terrible drivers on Long Island, not to mention boating and motorcycles in the summer.

Also, none of this really matters in terms of early clinical experience, as learning how to do a good H&P will be enough without trying to diagnose bird flu in your patient with a cold.

thanks for clearing that up!

I only started to look for housing the week before classes and there were plenty of options, so do not worry about that
Pre-orientation was in June. I found my housing sometime in July, and that was fine. I think a lot of leases are August-August, or at least mine was. You will have plenty of time.

I think there was also a second look in April, you might be able to meet some people there that you would be interested in rooming with.

hey, speaking of housing. My wife and I are hoping to come out in the spring to get a better idea of the area and to look at housing-most likely apartments I guess. Does anyone have any knowledge of areas/specific buildings to look at? I noticed that the website recommended a couple of nice complexes:

http://www.atlanticpointapts.com/home.html
-this one is in Bellport which google maps said is 27min away

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/avaloncore/nfloor.asp?comm=72
-this one is in Smithtown which google maps says is 13min away

Does anyone have any experience with these complexes or areas? Also, does anyone know where most of the students live, I'd lioke to stay close to wherever most of the class lives.

From what I've heard, the class is kind of spread out through the general area with some living right in stony brook, some in port jefferson/port jefferson station, setauket, centereach, selden, etc...all of these areas are within 12ish minutes of the school. I would think that bellport is kinda far from the campus, but smithtown is probably close enough.

Please reply only if you have been accepted to the class of 2013.

Could you guys give me idea about date of application, date of interview, date of acceptance, GPA, MCAT, and state of residency.

My application complete: 1/7, no interview yet, not accepted, GPA: 3.91, MCAT: 30, State of residency: New York.

Thanks and Congrats on being accepted

App complete 9/10
Interview invite 9/16 (for 10/14)
accepted 10/31
GPA: 3.76
mcat: 34
NY resident

hope this helps :)

Could you guys give me idea about date of application, date of interview, date of acceptance, GPA, MCAT, and state of residency.

My application complete: 1/7, no interview yet, not accepted, GPA: 3.91, MCAT: 30, State of residency: New York.

your application is extremely late...most interview spots have already been given away as well as many acceptances.

you can see my stats in my MDapps profile and my application dates (along with those of other accepted students) in he accepted students thread

APP COMPLETE: 8/20
I: 11/19
A: 12/2

NY Resident

if u really applied 1/7, i wish you the best of luck!!!

Last edited:
hey, speaking of housing. My wife and I are hoping to come out in the spring to get a better idea of the area and to look at housing-most likely apartments I guess. Does anyone have any knowledge of areas/specific buildings to look at? I noticed that the website recommended a couple of nice complexes:

http://www.atlanticpointapts.com/home.html
-this one is in Bellport which google maps said is 27min away

http://www.avaloncommunities.com/avaloncore/nfloor.asp?comm=72
-this one is in Smithtown which google maps says is 13min away

Does anyone have any experience with these complexes or areas? Also, does anyone know where most of the students live, I'd lioke to stay close to wherever most of the class lives.
Bellport does seem far. But if you are willing to wake up early and make the trek, in order to live in nicer surroundings, more power to you. We had someone in our class commute from Queens during first year...

GonnaBaDoc222 is correct about locations. Majority of the class lives within a 15 min driving radius of SB HSC.

Isn't 1/7 a little late...especially for a school like stony? But you have good stats so just keep you fiingers crossed and hope for the best.

Bellport does seem far. But if you are willing to wake up early and make the trek, in order to live in nicer surroundings, more power to you. We had someone in our class commute from Queens during first year...

GonnaBaDoc222 is correct about locations. Majority of the class lives within a 15 min driving radius of SB HSC.

Thats what I kinda thought. Do you know of any nice places people have lived in that are closer? I'm trying to look on the internet but its hard to get a feel for quality or distance when I'm here in MN and can't really see the places yet.

Thats what I kinda thought. Do you know of any nice places people have lived in that are closer? I'm trying to look on the internet but its hard to get a feel for quality or distance when I'm here in MN and can't really see the places yet.

i know exactly what u mean, all i can do is use google maps and hope for the best

I went to undergrad at stony brook. And for two summer's commuted from Queens. It took me about 45 - 60 minutes. Traffic wasn't too bad, because most people were heading west. For my senior and junior years, I lived in miller place. I made the daily trip in about 15-30 minutes by avioding the major roads like Nichols and 347.

Roads such as nichols and 347 have alot of traffic during the morning, afternoon and lunch time hours. So if you would like to live off campus consider a location that avoids them.

Also I had some friends who lived in Huntington, Patchogue, and Shirley, and they commuted daily by car or by train.

Last edited:
Is any one else really anxious to start med school? I am so excited.....I can't wait

i wanna start now! lol

i got an email saying revisit is on APRIL 24, preorientation is on JUNE 12, Orientation is AUGUST 24-28, and first day of classes AUGUST 31.

I got that message too, you all planning on attending the revisit and pre-orientation? I am, seems like a good chance to get the wife out there to see the area and look at living arrangements.

Speaking of which, are any of you entering school with a SO or husband/wife? I'm hoping to find some other couples to get together with.

I got that message too, you all planning on attending the revisit and pre-orientation? I am, seems like a good chance to get the wife out there to see the area and look at living arrangements.

Speaking of which, are any of you entering school with a SO or husband/wife? I'm hoping to find some other couples to get together with.

i would really like to go but i have to see if its doable because i would have to book a flight to ny (i go to miami undergrad), and i would also still be in the middle of classes and tests. As april approaches i will know more of what kind of week it will be for me down here and if its doable, then ill revisit on the 24th.

Hi guys, I'm Daniel, a current 4th year. Congrats to each and every one of you; you're coming to a great school. Also, Eternalrage, who I don't know, is giving you great advice that is spot on, and panerai1 and OHMANOH are both friends of mine - great people, and both, by the way, AOA members that represent top of our class.

Some things I wished I'd understood better before sitting down for the first day of classes:
1) The traffic here isn't bad, it BLOWS. And Suffolk County is either the number one or number two county in NY for vehicular mortality EVERY YEAR - Nassau (the other Long Island county) is the one they alternate with. Buckle up!
2) The first two years - with three VERY notable exceptions, does not matter in the grand scheme of life (ie: residency, overall class rank, etc). At all. Really. If you can honor everything in the first two years w/depression & psychosis, or high pass an maintain your sanity, do the latter. Those grades just do not matter. No first or second year has this perspective, but you'll see what happens when the dean's letters and AOA selection come out. (The three exceptions are: 1. everything you can learn the first time makes it easier to relearn the second time, 2. Step 1 is an extremely important exam, and I remember our professors and administration not telling us to focus on it. DO WELL ON IT, and 3. you need to at least pass everything, obviously, to advance.)
3) Third year is the single most important year in medical school, and some will argue that no other year matters. You must know your stuff, be great with patients, play well with classmates, and do well on the standardized tests.
4) Our Match List routinely kicks ass. Every year. Our class will be no different, if early results are indicative: 3 into ophthalmology (Downstate, Stony Brook, and Maryland) and 4 into Urology (Maimonides, Albany, Downstate, and UMDNJ)...keep in mind all 4 that applied matched, and Urology had only a 69% Match rate this year! You are coming to a place that will get you into a great career.

Things I'd ask if I were in your shoes:
1) What arrangements have been made to the parking, now that they're letting 40 more kids in per class?
2) Are there enough sites for clinical rotations? One of our rotations had to have a "volunteer" drive into Manhattan every day for a month...

Either way - great school you've chosen! Congrats!

dc

Hi guys, I'm Daniel, a current 4th year. Congrats to each and every one of you; you're coming to a great school. Also, Eternalrage, who I don't know, is giving you great advice that is spot on, and panerai1 and OHMANOH are both friends of mine - great people, and both, by the way, AOA members that represent top of our class.

Some things I wished I'd understood better before sitting down for the first day of classes:
1) The traffic here isn't bad, it BLOWS. And Suffolk County is either the number one or number two county in NY for vehicular mortality EVERY YEAR - Nassau (the other Long Island county) is the one they alternate with. Buckle up!
2) The first two years - with three VERY notable exceptions, does not matter in the grand scheme of life (ie: residency, overall class rank, etc). At all. Really. If you can honor everything in the first two years w/depression & psychosis, or high pass an maintain your sanity, do the latter. Those grades just do not matter. No first or second year has this perspective, but you'll see what happens when the dean's letters and AOA selection come out. (The three exceptions are: 1. everything you can learn the first time makes it easier to relearn the second time, 2. Step 1 is an extremely important exam, and I remember our professors and administration not telling us to focus on it. DO WELL ON IT, and 3. you need to at least pass everything, obviously, to advance.)
3) Third year is the single most important year in medical school, and some will argue that no other year matters. You must know your stuff, be great with patients, play well with classmates, and do well on the standardized tests.
4) Our Match List routinely kicks ass. Every year. Our class will be no different, if early results are indicative: 3 into ophthalmology (Downstate, Stony Brook, and Maryland) and 4 into Urology (Maimonides, Albany, Downstate, and UMDNJ)...keep in mind all 4 that applied matched, and Urology had only a 69% Match rate this year! You are coming to a place that will get you into a great career.

Things I'd ask if I were in your shoes:
1) What arrangements have been made to the parking, now that they're letting 40 more kids in per class?
2) Are there enough sites for clinical rotations? One of our rotations had to have a "volunteer" drive into Manhattan every day for a month...

Either way - great school you've chosen! Congrats!

dc

thanks for the advice!
i had a question, what is the AOA? is it a club that you join or must you be selected and how?

thanks

Hi im a junior at sb, and i live on the island about 20 mins from the school.... my major is biology, my gpa is 3.6 and i took the mcat the first time and got a 32, i have above average community service hours and most of them have been in hospitals....i havnt applied yet but im going to very soon, i just wanted to know how my chances were of getting accepted to the sb medical school would be?? and what else i can do to help my chances, if any?? please help im freaking out about this...

thanks for the advice!
i had a question, what is the AOA? is it a club that you join or must you be selected and how?

thanks

AOA=Alpha Omega Alpha, the national medical student honor society. It is looked very highly upon by residencies, esp. the more competitive ones like Ortho, derm, etc. (could be looked at as almost an unofficial requirement for some). Schools vary, but generally only 2/3 of the top 25% of your class is allowed in.

...and BigDan is a member too, don't be modest brother :D

Hi im a junior at sb, and i live on the island about 20 mins from the school.... my major is biology, my gpa is 3.6 and i took the mcat the first time and got a 32, i have above average community service hours and most of them have been in hospitals....i havnt applied yet but im going to very soon, i just wanted to know how my chances were of getting accepted to the sb medical school would be?? and what else i can do to help my chances, if any?? please help im freaking out about this...

Your stats are decent. Better than mine. I got my acceptance. Keep in mind that numbers aren't everything. A lot of things come into play in addition to numbers, ECs, LOR, and your PS. Sometimes luck plays a role too. My advice is to keep doing well and start planning your PS and LORs.

And I remember from my interview, I heard that Stony is a feeder school to its own med school. So... yeahhh

You may wanna check out the "What are my chances" forum.

i think u have a pretty good chance, but you will learn that the whole application, interview and acceptance process is very random and alot of things are taken into consideration, not just mcat and gpa. i suggest you make yourself known at the medical school since you attend there.

best of luck

2) The first two years - with three VERY notable exceptions, does not matter in the grand scheme of life (ie: residency, overall class rank, etc). At all. Really. If you can honor everything in the first two years w/depression & psychosis, or high pass an maintain your sanity, do the latter. Those grades just do not matter. No first or second year has this perspective
HAH I have little regard for anything first or second year, coursewise. (In fact as I write this post, I am skipping a Renal small group.) I am estatic with passes, and refuse to put in the insane amount of work for honors or even high pass. Actually, a good number of second years (I can't speak for the first years, those guys are gung ho) do share the "pass with sanity" >> "honors with craziness", mostly from proper indoctrination by upper classmen.

Early in my first year, Dean Schiavone said something during orientation along the lines of "we want you to have a life, don't give up other passions in your life, because they made you who you are, and we accepted you partly based on who you are, so don't lose yourself in the process of studying and taking exams and getting grades" (paraphrased).

So take that and run with it people.

One thing alot of my classmates in the second year have adopted is to use the courses at Stony for board studying only, rather than to do well in the course itself. You will find that some courses here, like Pharm, aren't taught conducive to Step 1 (I haven't taken it yet obviously, but this is from what I am told and what I gather from looking at Step 1 materials vs course materials). So some people take from class what is relevant to Step 1, doing things like writing notes in their First Aid book (which is what I do), and studying those and just passing the class in favor of preparing for Step 1 down the road. Of course, you could always do both, but time and energy being a factor, it's pretty hard unless you live in the library or are a genius.

In any case, yeah first and second year grades mean little unless you failed or are trying to get into AOA.

When you apply, do so EARLY, without sacrificing application quality. Those additional three essays on the secondaries - do a good job on those.

If you can, get in some research before you apply, since Stony is a big research school. I got in out of state, with a 3.2 cumulative GPA, 32 MCAT, and 3.0 BCPM (which surprises me to no end). I think that my research experience and pubs helped tremendously.

Also, since Stony is a people-place, try to do well on your interviews.

this is for those students at SB. I am currently taking a gross anatomy course and so far it has been a lot of work. We started dissecting the hand and the forearm and we have gone over so many anatomical structures. While is a lot of memorization, i feel that its doable. My question is, how exactly is gross anatomy taught at SB? how many hours do you usually use to study for this course?

thanks

this is for those students at SB. I am currently taking a gross anatomy course and so far it has been a lot of work. We started dissecting the hand and the forearm and we have gone over so many anatomical structures. While is a lot of memorization, i feel that its doable. My question is, how exactly is gross anatomy taught at SB? how many hours do you usually use to study for this course?

thanks
Last year when I took anatomy, it was pretty easy.

The following is assuming that the course you will have is the same as mine. The current first years will tell you something different, because they had some... issues... that resulted in a much harder anatomy course.

The following is also a bit overkill to be thinking about right now, just finish out your year strong and enjoy your summer. But just to give you a view of what our anatomy course is like:

There are the lectures, lab, EGA textbook, Core Concepts in Anatomy textbook, Clinical Sidelights packet, Grant's Dissector book, and the Netters textbook. Seems like alot, and it would be, but the method of evaluation in this course is mostly recycled from previous years. There are online quizzes, a midterm, and a final exam. There are anatomy questions, radiology questions, clinical anatomy questions, and a lab practical portion to both the midterm and final.

When I took this course, all the previous years exams were made available to us, dating back to like the late 90s. Also, for the quizzes, there is a massive online database of questions that is used to comprise each quiz. After your first try on the quiz (which counts as a grade), you can reenter the quiz online and get new questions. The midterm and final that we had were COMPLETELY recycled, questions taken from both previous years' exams and the quiz databank. The only thing new were the lab practical portions of the exams, and even then, upperclassmen drafted excel spreadsheets of the most commonly tested structures, so you can pretty much anticipate what is "high yield."

I knew people my year who never went to lecture, barely cracked open any of the text, and just studied old questions over and over, and honored the course. It might seem strange, but the rationale is that since anatomy is pretty fact based - whether you learn it off a textbook, off lecture, or off old exams, you are still learning it regardless. The only thing is, with the old exams, you know what's important and what will probably show up. Don't have the same advantage if you go thru all the material (which is just downright crazy and would take wayyy too much time). The amount of old finals, midterms, and quizzes (back when it was on paper) are enough to fill a 2" to the absolute maximum capacity.

Do not open EGA (Netters and Grant's are just for lab purposes, they don't help much on the exams), lectures aren't really necessary, and you have to go to lab, but the TAs will usually help you with everything. If you want to make sure you honor the course, you read Core Concepts and Clinical Sidelights, and absolutely must do all the previous years exams and go thru the quiz bank online.

So to sum up and answer your question, if you try and go thru everything - like all the textbooks, lectures, and lab stuff, it will take you an ENORMOUS amount of time. If you do what most people end up doing - a little bit of Core and Clinical Sidelights, with alot of old questions, it will take alot less time and be very nice to your sanity.

Again, that was an overkill answer, but if I had just responded with "I only studied 2-3 hrs a day for anatomy and barely missed honors" you might have raised an eyebrow...

Hopefully you will have anatomy similar to what my experience was, and not what the first years had to go thru.

Last year when I took anatomy, it was pretty easy.

The following is assuming that the course you will have is the same as mine. The current first years will tell you something different, because they had some... issues... that resulted in a much harder anatomy course.

The following is also a bit overkill to be thinking about right now, just finish out your year strong and enjoy your summer. But just to give you a view of what our anatomy course is like:

There are the lectures, lab, EGA textbook, Core Concepts in Anatomy textbook, Clinical Sidelights packet, Grant's Dissector book, and the Netters textbook. Seems like alot, and it would be, but the method of evaluation in this course is mostly recycled from previous years. There are online quizzes, a midterm, and a final exam. There are anatomy questions, radiology questions, clinical anatomy questions, and a lab practical portion to both the midterm and final.

When I took this course, all the previous years exams were made available to us, dating back to like the late 90s. Also, for the quizzes, there is a massive online database of questions that is used to comprise each quiz. After your first try on the quiz (which counts as a grade), you can reenter the quiz online and get new questions. The midterm and final that we had were COMPLETELY recycled, questions taken from both previous years' exams and the quiz databank. The only thing new were the lab practical portions of the exams, and even then, upperclassmen drafted excel spreadsheets of the most commonly tested structures, so you can pretty much anticipate what is "high yield."

I knew people my year who never went to lecture, barely cracked open any of the text, and just studied old questions over and over, and honored the course. It might seem strange, but the rationale is that since anatomy is pretty fact based - whether you learn it off a textbook, off lecture, or off old exams, you are still learning it regardless. The only thing is, with the old exams, you know what's important and what will probably show up. Don't have the same advantage if you go thru all the material (which is just downright crazy and would take wayyy too much time). The amount of old finals, midterms, and quizzes (back when it was on paper) are enough to fill a 2" to the absolute maximum capacity.

Do not open EGA (Netters and Grant's are just for lab purposes, they don't help much on the exams), lectures aren't really necessary, and you have to go to lab, but the TAs will usually help you with everything. If you want to make sure you honor the course, you read Core Concepts and Clinical Sidelights, and absolutely must do all the previous years exams and go thru the quiz bank online.

So to sum up and answer your question, if you try and go thru everything - like all the textbooks, lectures, and lab stuff, it will take you an ENORMOUS amount of time. If you do what most people end up doing - a little bit of Core and Clinical Sidelights, with alot of old questions, it will take alot less time and be very nice to your sanity.

Again, that was an overkill answer, but if I had just responded with "I only studied 2-3 hrs a day for anatomy and barely missed honors" you might have raised an eyebrow...

Hopefully you will have anatomy similar to what my experience was, and not what the first years had to go thru.

what were the issues that the first year class had that made it more difficult than what you experienced?

what were the issues that the first year class had that made it more difficult than what you experienced?
It's not important - has nothing to do with how they studied or what they studied. I think they had a tiff with the administration and professors, I don't have the details but it's nothing to be concerned over.

hey all, accepted to stony and its deff one of my top choices... LOVE the cheapness :D

so i got the housing stuff and reading some on this thread it seems the concensus is off campus housing, however...

1) wat is the actuall price difference between off and on?

2) how much further is off campus housing than on campus?

3) is there any forum which posts avalible housing off campus?

4) is there any way to choose housmates off campus in ragards to life styles-- for example: smokers/nonsmoker, dietary (im kosher), how anal ppl are/relaxed (im way too relaxed) ect.

5) why do most people say on campus housing sucks (except chaplin)? what about it makes it "blow ass" as someone put it...

Congratz all who have been accepted!

Last edited:
hey all, accepted to stony and its deff one of my top choices... LOVE the cheapness :D

so i got the housing stuff and reading some on this thread it seems the concensus is off campus housing, however...

1) wat is the actuall price difference between off and on?

2) how much further is off campus housing than on campus?

3) is there any forum which posts avalible housing off campus?

4) is there any way to choose housmates off campus in ragards to life styles-- for example: smokers/nonsmoker, dietary (im kosher), how anal ppl are/relaxed (im way too relaxed) ect.

5) why do most people say on campus housing sucks (except chaplin)? what about it makes it "blow ass" as someone put it...

Congratz all who have been accepted!

These 2 websites should help. One's for off-campus housing and another for on-campus.

http://och.fsa.sunysb.edu/

http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/res/index.shtml