Stony Brook vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spongeman7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Just pondering these two schools and would love some input, thanks in advance!

Stony Brook
Pros:
- Great research funding, facilities, campus, and opportunities (also higher ranked), which would probably lead to mentors and opportunities in specialties
- Seems to have a great alumni base and reputation in the NE with great matches
- In state tuition, so definitely cheaper

Cons:
- Long island is kind of bleh, "close" to the city but not really
- Probably less of a diverse patient population
- Bout 1.5 hr further from home than NYMC (not really sure if this is a con for me, more of a note)

NYMC
Pros:
- Students seem to be very happy here
- Much closer to the city, can do rotations in the city during 3rd and 4th years, so probably more social things to do
- Great clubs and extracurriculars

Cons:
- Will be more expensive
- Seems to be a little less known with not as many research opportunities, lower ranked

They're both P/F now, stony has 1.5 yr pre clinical whereas NYMC has 2 yr, stony has a smaller class size, and both have relatively high cost of livings.

Members don't see this ad.

Stony Brook by a solid yard and a half, at least.

The LIRR ain’t that bad.

Reactions: 2 users
For me, the choice would be stony Brook because of the better rank and price.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow NYS resident. This will not be helpful at all, but wanted to say that from what I've heard about both schools, you legitimately cannot make a bad choice.

I might lean SB as well, if only because—all else equal—their med school reputation is quite prestigious, probably even higher than their ranking implies, and much more so than those of us who only knew them by their undergad reputation (which is very good, but certainly not "prestigious").

That said, while I've seen some stuff in the NYMC threads that seem like very valid critiques, med students seem very happy there and it has a good reputation, especially if you want to stay in NY. I do know people who have done grad programs there who were less thrilled with their experiences, but I think that's more with their programs and not the campus itself.

Excited to hear what you decide! Maybe even stop by each campus and wander around if you haven't been/have the time. Again, I have acquaintances who have gone to both, and have never heard of anyone who regretted their decision to attend either school. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Fellow NYS resident. This will not be helpful at all, but wanted to say that from what I've heard about both schools, you legitimately cannot make a bad choice.

I might lean SB as well, if only because—all else equal—their med school reputation is quite prestigious, probably even higher than their ranking implies, and much more so than those of us who only knew them by their undergad reputation (which is very good, but certainly not "prestigious").

That said, while I've seen some stuff in the NYMC threads that seem like very valid critiques, med students seem very happy there and it has a good reputation, especially if you want to stay in NY. I do know people who have done grad programs there who were less thrilled with their experiences, but I think that's more with their programs and not the campus itself.

Excited to hear what you decide! Maybe even stop by each campus and wander around if you haven't been/have the time. Again, I have acquaintances who have gone to both, and have never heard of anyone who regretted their decision to attend either school. Good luck!!
Thanks for the insight! Yes, they do seem to both be great schools which always makes it harder, and def leaning towards SB but we'll see. Thanks again!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user