1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Stony Brook vs. UMDNJ

Discussion in 'Dental' started by avnaks, Dec 13, 2005.

1. avnaks

avnaks Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hello,

I was accepted to both Stony Brook and UMDNJ and am about to make the crucial decision. I know that both are good schools, but does anyone have any input as to what the pros and cons are of each school? Thank you very much.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Floss

Floss Member
    7+ Year Member

currently at SB. I don't really know much about UMDNJ, but i can give you some info on SB:
    CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. Lots of clinical experience - you start at the beginning of second year. strong basic medicine- your basic science classes are taken with the med school. Small class - this actually is a con for me, i'm pretty sick of spending all day with the same few people. In clinic - third year and fourth year,you have your own chair - so no scrambling around every day. Area - it's in a pretty remote area, so if you;re from a big city and need the nightlife, you may be bothered by this. if you any questions, feel free to ask or PM

4. Tzips

Tzips Chocoholic
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm at UMDNJ, and pretty much picked it over Stony because of the location - Stony is a bit too close to where the world ends and people get eaten by sea monsters. As far as clinical goes, we start in middle-second to third year, but AFAIK everyone comes out very well grounded in the clinicals. We have the same basic science didactic profs as the medschool, but we have seperate classes. Medium class size - my class is 90 - which works pretty well for me. Third- and fourth-years also get their own chairs. And as far as money goes, well, UMDNJ actually turned out to be cheaper for me than SB, and even without my circumstances the difference isn't that great for most people. Assuming you get NJ residency (which pretty much everyone does), tuition is about $21k. PM me for more details.