Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Josh

So I'd really like to go to SB. I have a few months before I apply. What can I do to help my application. I fear I'm only average and i see so many sdners with much better stats who didn't even get an interview. What are they looking for?

Members don't see this ad.

hard to say. my MCAT was average and my GPA was well below average and I got an interview. I am not URM.

One interviewer said he really liked my essays and overall app.

You might want to work extra hard on the PS and also alot on the three supplemental one page essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
hard to say. my MCAT was average and my GPA was well below average and I got an interview. I am not URM.

You might want to work extra hard on the PS and also alot on the three supplemental one page essays.

I mentioned on a different thread that I think LI ties and research are also pluses. I forgot about those essays -- I spent forever on them. They might have helped. I suspect that's why I got my GW interview as well despite my low stats and non-trad status.

That and my non-doctor interviewer thought working as a clinical coordinator with lots of patient contact was perhaps the perfect job for a medical school applicant finished with undergrad. I'll remember that the next time one screams at me. :D

Having a unique application (ECs, a fantastic personal statement plus going out of your way to have stellar and thoughtful secondary essay responses) goes a long way at Stony Brook based on my limited experience there. While my MCAT is good, I can definitely say that my stats weren't what got me into Stony Brook. Good letters seem to help too!

Having a unique application (ECs, a fantastic personal statement plus going out of your way to have stellar and thoughtful secondary essay responses) goes a long way at Stony Brook based on my limited experience there. While my MCAT is good, I can definitely say that my stats weren't what got me in to Stony Brook. Good letters seem to help too!

Wanna write me one? :D

"Dear SB Adcom,

There's this very nice person on SDN I think would be a fantastic addition to the class of 2011..."

I mentioned on a different thread that I think LI ties and research are also pluses. I forgot about those essays -- I spent forever on them. They might have helped. I suspect that's why I got my GW interview as well despite my low stats and non-trad status.

That and my non-doctor interviewer thought working as a clinical coordinator with lots of patient contact was perhaps the perfect job for a medical school applicant finished with undergrad. I'll remember that the next time one screams at me. :D

Hrmm. Well I'm not a NY resident, but I do have years of research.

Wanna write me one? :D

"Dear SB Adcom,

There's this very nice person on SDN I think would be a fantastic addition to the class of 2011..."

Lol - If only fellow SDNer LORs held any clout! Have you heard back yet post-interview Epi?

Lol - If only fellow SDNer LORs held any clout! Have you heard back yet post-interview Epi?

Not at all. The third week of February will be the six week mark. I'm hoping just a little that they'll have a meeting right around Valentine's Day and let me in.

congrats!

what were the supplemental essays? are they the same every year? what kind of ECs did you have?

This year the three essays were 1) Discuss an important contemporary medical issue 2) what was your most infliencial non-science class 3) what is your most important non-medical experience.

I imagine they rely on these to really let people elaborate on things that aren't featured heavily in the AMCAS app. They are not the sort of essays that can be copied/pasted from others.

I am told they like research a lot too--I have a very heavy research background (> 5yrs) and they seemed to like me (One of my last secondaries and first acceptance!!).

:luck:

This year the three essays were 1) Discuss an important contemporary medical issue 2) what was your most infliencial non-science class 3) what is your most important non-medical experience.

I imagine they rely on these to really let people elaborate on things that aren't featured heavily in the AMCAS app. They are not the sort of essays that can be copied/pasted from others.

I am told they like research a lot too--I have a very heavy research background (> 5yrs) and they seemed to like me (One of my last secondaries and first acceptance!!).

congrats! so are you going there?

as far as research I suppose they want real medical lab research? so they consider that more important than clinical experience? I volunteered as a research assistant and just did a medical outcome study; and i did a psychological independent study research; volunteered a short time in a research lab but that was pretty useless; so I guess my exprience pretty much sucks for SB, wouldn't you say?

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks, how long are those essays supposed to be?

bumping this up in case anyone wants to tell me more about the application/acceptance process and possibilities for SB.:D If I'm taking a year or two off, what do you suggest I do to improve my chances?

i have an interview there coming up, so i can't speak about what gets you an acceptance...

but i can echo the opinion that stonybrook likes clinical research experience with lots of pt contact. that's exactly what i do, and other coordinators before me were also successful in getting SB interviews. also NY residency helps. my MCAT is good but my science GPA is well below avg. i think SB probably does really pay attn to the PS and essays, because my stats are not so impressive.

i have an interview there coming up, so i can't speak about what gets you an acceptance...

but i can echo the opinion that stonybrook likes clinical research experience with lots of pt contact. that's exactly what i do, and other coordinators before me were also successful in getting SB interviews. also NY residency helps. my MCAT is good but my science GPA is well below avg. i think SB probably does really pay attn to the PS and essays, because my stats are not so impressive.

do you mind posting or PMing your stats. also where do you do clinical research? any tips on getting such a job? I live on LI and will be graduating in May, but not with a bio degree; does that matter for such a position?

congrats! so are you going there?

as far as research I suppose they want real medical lab research? so they consider that more important than clinical experience? I volunteered as a research assistant and just did a medical outcome study; and i did a psychological independent study research; volunteered a short time in a research lab but that was pretty useless; so I guess my exprience pretty much sucks for SB, wouldn't you say?

After having spoken to several admissions officers, including three at SB, I can tell you that the specific nature of the research isn't as important as what you got out of it. I had no clinical research experience, all my research was basic. But I was able to talk about it intelligibly, and that impressed them enough to accept me (SBU co 2011, woo hoo!)
And most of the essay responses they see are about a page in length, some a bit longer, some a bit shorter. But as with any essay its the quality of the content more than quantity that matters.

After having spoken to several admissions officers, including three at SB, I can tell you that the specific nature of the research isn't as important as what you got out of it. I had no clinical research experience, all my research was basic. But I was able to talk about it intelligibly, and that impressed them enough to accept me (SBU co 2011, woo hoo!)
And most of the essay responses they see are about a page in length, some a bit longer, some a bit shorter. But as with any essay its the quality of the content more than quantity that matters.

thanks! that was helpful and congrats on your acceptance!

thanks! that was helpful and congrats on your acceptance!

Thank you. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Best of luck in the admissions process.

whens the next adcom meeting, any ideas? Its been 6 weeks for me next week....

thanks, how long are those essays supposed to be?

Sorry I posted and then never checked back... for now I am enrolled in their incoming class, although we have to wait and see.

My research is very much basic science--organic in undergrad and then structural biology after college. Only in the last month or so have I started a position doing work that's more directly clinically relevant. I think MeCord3 is right about the content being less important than the quality of the research experience and what you got out of it.

And I wrote just shy 1 page single spaced essays.

Good luck with everything....

I got a phone call last night from DHL telling me that they attempted to deliver a package twice last week but nobody was home. I took the tracking number from the message and checked online...the package was from Stony Brook, NY and delivery was attempted on 2/8 and 2/9. I am going to pick it up tomorrow morning -- I hope it is what I think it is :)

I interviewed on January 30.

I got a phone call last night from DHL telling me that they attempted to deliver a package twice last week but nobody was home. I took the tracking number from the message and checked online...the package was from Stony Brook, NY and delivery was attempted on 2/8 and 2/9. I am going to pick it up tomorrow morning -- I hope it is what I think it is :)

My guess is is an acceptances so congrats, thats a quick turnaround. I interviewed back in the first week of jan, and am yet to hear. I dont care about waiting as long as eventually its good news :)

It is.... Very exciting!

hey epigastric, are you also still waiting to hear?

Yes, it was an acceptance. I picked it up at 7 this morning. Will be attending in August.

FYI, I think the reason I was accepted so soon was because of my interest in the school. I wrote them a letter informing them that I would withdraw my other acceptances should they accept me.

Good luck!:luck:

hey epigastric, are you also still waiting to hear?

Gah, yes. The only thing that keeps me sane is that 1) stiffany was accepted after being passed over at two adcom meetings, much like I just was, and 2) have landed an interview at NYMC, which was closely tied with SB in my head for where I'd love to go to school next year. So my chances of getting into medical school are no longer solely dependent on the whim of the SB adcom, which makes me feel much better about facing a possible waitlist.

I did actually write SB a letter of intent, so here's hoping it works.

For those who discussed their job, I'm a clinical research coordinator as well. My interviewers liked the amount of patient contact I get: I work in vascular, so I screen patients almost daily and talk to them a lot. Although I managed a couple of abstracts this year (not first author), it seemed secondary to seeing what research was like and learning how to deal with often very frightened patients.

I got my job by throwing it at every HR department between Jersey and Boston, and then emailing the heads of every department I was specifically interested in (hint: look for the person named as in charge of research for that department on the hospital web site). Generally hiring will happen in the next couple of months, so you'll want to start looking into it soon. You'll have to decide about whether or not you should be up front about the fact you're hoping to leave in a year (I was; others are not, seems to go either way).

And DrCurious, my exhaustive and possibly OCD calculations show that the adcom should be meeting next on Wednesday, Feb. 28th...precisely two weeks and two days from today. Sit on your hands until then. ;)

Gah, yes. The only thing that keeps me sane is that 1) stiffany was accepted after being passed over at two adcom meetings, much like I just was, and 2) have landed an interview at NYMC, which was closely tied with SB in my head for where I'd love to go to school next year. So my chances of getting into medical school are no longer solely dependent on the whim of the SB adcom, which makes me feel much better about facing a possible waitlist.

I did actually write SB a letter of intent, so here's hoping it works.

For those who discussed their job, I'm a clinical research coordinator as well. My interviewers liked the amount of patient contact I get: I work in vascular, so I screen patients almost daily and talk to them a lot. Although I managed a couple of abstracts this year (not first author), it seemed secondary to seeing what research was like and learning how to deal with often very frightened patients.

I got my job by throwing it at every HR department between Jersey and Boston, and then emailing the heads of every department I was specifically interested in (hint: look for the person named as in charge of research for that department on the hospital web site). Generally hiring will happen in the next couple of months, so you'll want to start looking into it soon. You'll have to decide about whether or not you should be up front about the fact you're hoping to leave in a year (I was; others are not, seems to go either way).

And DrCurious, my exhaustive and possibly OCD calculations show that the adcom should be meeting next on Wednesday, Feb. 28th...precisely two weeks and two days from today. Sit on your hands until then. ;)

Hmm last day in Feb...Interesting. Guess I'll be waiting till march for the mail.
This process has totally drained me, seriously Im starting to lose hair. Dunno if its genetics or stress; likely alot of both :). GL epigastric, ill be waiting with you.

Hmm last day in Feb...Interesting. Guess I'll be waiting till march for the mail.
This process has totally drained me, seriously Im starting to lose hair. Dunno if its genetics or stress; likely alot of both :). GL epigastric, ill be waiting with you.

Or you should get your Vit B12 or zinc levels checked. ;)

Does anyone know if stony brook sends their interview invitations via e-mail or us mail or both?

Anyone know when/if we are able to find out our position on the waitlist?

I called them and they said a letter has been sent to me. I then asked if interview invitations are sent soley via e-mail and she "sometimes." Then she said that she didn't know my status was and i would have to wait for the letter. Then she said "good luck." It is definitely a rejection.

Does anyone know if stony brook sends their interview invitations via e-mail or us mail or both?

Just got an email invite from them today. woot! hows the OOS odds? :confused:

Just got an email invite from them today. woot! hows the OOS odds? :confused:

I believe that once you get to the interview point, the odds of acceptance are roughly the same as IS (about 1:6 according to medschoolready) interviews. Of course, medschoolready's numbers are a bit off from what the dean tells you, but Dean Agnetti also included people accepted off the waitlist.

What were the odds that the Dean gave, I dont remember them being mentioned....

What were the odds that the Dean gave, I dont remember them being mentioned....

That 300 of 560 interviewed candidates were offered admission last year for a class of 108 students. She did not say how many of those 300 were offered their acceptance from the waitlist, just that it included waitlist admits. Nor did she say how long the waitlist is, but it does feel like very few people are rejected post-interview.

Given Stony's location, my guess is that even if they place 300 or more on the waitlist, plenty of them drop off during the summer. It's the most competitive SUNY, so I think that most people who interview there have options at decent private schools as well, and may pick them instead.

300/560 are damn good odds, even if it does include waitlist. The class is also increasing in size this year to 118 i think. I figure they accept at least 200 (if not 250) outright to fill their class of 118. Just a guess though.

300/560 are damn good odds, even if it does include waitlist. The class is also increasing in size this year to 118 i think. I figure they accept at least 200 (if not 250) outright to fill their class of 118. Just a guess though.

Yeah, I think my whole group of fellow interviewees went bug-eyed at this casual statement of hers. I know I certainly was a bit more relaxed after she said it.

does anyone know when the adcom meets? i only interviewed last week, but i have started waiting!

does anyone know when the adcom meets? i only interviewed last week, but i have started waiting!

On Wednesdays. I've been saying every three weeks, but DrCurious pointed out that sometimes it's every two weeks. So, they last met the week of 2/7. That means the next adcom will be 2/21 or 2/28. Waitlists go out by email on the same day; DHL acceptances arrive Thursday or Friday-ish.

And as both DrCurious and I have reason to know, you aren't necessarily reviewed at the very next adcom meeting. :rolleyes:

And, hey, if you want to confirm it, you could be awesome and call the office for us to check. We've, uh, called a few too many times recently.

On Wednesdays. I've been saying every three weeks, but DrCurious pointed out that sometimes it's every two weeks. So, they last met the week of 2/7. That means the next adcom will be 2/21 or 2/28. Waitlists go out by email on the same day; DHL acceptances arrive Thursday or Friday-ish.

And as both DrCurious and I have reason to know, you aren't necessarily reviewed at the very next adcom meeting. :rolleyes:

And, hey, if you want to confirm it, you could be awesome and call the office for us to check. We've, uh, called a few too many times recently.

Yea me and epigastric have done our share of calling. I think they are starting to recognize my voice :laugh:. I'm waiting to call and have them say "You again!"

I would speculate though that the meeting is on the 21st and not the 28th, but have no proof, just a guess. Probably because I want it to be sooner then later :). Feb is weird because of its 28 days, screws up our calculations :laugh:.

o dear.. well you guys are a wealth of knowledge! i'm going to ask a few questions and make a phone call today/tomorrow, i'll report back.

any new updates?

Not from me, but people who promise to call ought to keep their promises.

's gonna be a long couple of days, waiting to see if they meet this week or not.

Not from me, but people who promise to call ought to keep their promises.

's gonna be a long couple of days, waiting to see if they meet this week or not.

Admissions was closed today for President's Day.
Just FYI.

So I'm assuming no one called admissions for info. I called today, but no one answered.

Well we will know tomorrow, since if tomorrow is the day then waitlisters will receive their emails.

Plus based on the other stony thread, the emails for waitlist go out early, and acceptances go out postmarked on the tuedsay of that week no wed. So in fact they may actually meet on tuesday evening and send out the waitlists on Wed morning and DHL's on Wed morning as well and reach thursday morning. Just random guessing, I was bored :).

So I'm assuming no one called admissions for info. I called today, but no one answered.

Well we will know tomorrow, since if tomorrow is the day then waitlisters will receive their emails.

Plus based on the other stony thread, the emails for waitlist go out early, and acceptances go out postmarked on the tuedsay of that week no wed. So in fact they may actually meet on tuesday evening and send out the waitlists on Wed morning and DHL's on Wed morning as well and reach thursday morning. Just random guessing, I was bored :).

Yes, inlimboitis, that dread disease.

I've been speculating somewhere along the same lines -- I have no proof they meet on Wednesdays, just that they send off the waitlists on that day and appear to mail off the DHL packages as well. It just sounded nice that they'd be so efficient they'd wrap up the waitlistees by mid-morning and thoughtfully tell them so.

So you can always guess that if they were meeting this week, they might be off a day thanks to our friendly presidents. So no email on Wednesday doesn't mean you're safe yet. ;)