Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Athena

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have just a quick question for those of you who attend SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine. I was recently offered admission, and I am really excited to most likely be going there in the fall. During my visit there I absolutely fell in love with the students, I was really impressed with the facilities, and I heard many great things about the faculty. The only thing that worries me is the seeming lack of patient diversity in the hospitals where I would be doing rotations during the 3rd and 4th years (Long Island seems a little homogenous).

With that in mind, I would really appreciate it if anyone who is currenly at Stony Brook, or has done rotations there, would let me know whether my concerns have base. I can really see myself being happy at the school, but I also do not want to limit the diversity of my clinical training.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Athena,
Long Island is not as homogeneous as some may think. I'm currently at Stony Brook, and this summer I've been working on the East End (near the Hamptons) where there is a large Hispanic population. One of the two clinics I've been working at is located on the North Fork, and is actually designated as a rural health care center by the federal government (and therefore physicians who work there are eligible for loan repayment). This population is in desperate need of health care, especially from those who speak Spanish. I grew up in California, where speaking Spanish is an accepted requirement for health care professionals. However, I've noticed there is a lack of bilingual health care providers in NY.
Also on the East End, there are large groups of immigrant populations from Eastern Europe, Russia, etc.
Don't let lack of diversity be a reason not to choose Stony Brook. There are plenty of opportunities to help a diverse group of people, and it's a great school.

l.a.liznyc said:
One of the two clinics I've been working at is located on the North Fork, and is actually designated as a rural health care center by the federal government (and therefore physicians who work there are eligible for loan repayment). This population is in desperate need of health care, especially from those who speak Spanish. I grew up in California, where speaking Spanish is an accepted requirement for health care professionals. However, I've noticed there is a lack of bilingual health care providers in NY.
Also on the East End, there are large groups of immigrant populations from Eastern Europe, Russia, etc.
QUOTE]
Hi l. a. liznyc,

I'm currently taking some classes at Stony Brook and was looking for a good part time or volunteer opportunity to work with a clinic that sees a large immigrant population. Can you tell me alittle more about the clinics you work at? Maybe some contact info or web link?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stony Brook is the ONLY tertiary care facility in Sulfolk county, and one of the best hospital on Long Island. Therefore, you will see plenty of challenging and diverse cases at SB. Stony Brook serves a large population, and while is not as diverse as it might be in the city, it isn't 100% white. You will see plenty of interesting cases in the ER, which isn't too hectic. But that could be good, it means the resident and attending will have more time to teach you :) , and no one is shoving you out of the way when a trauma case comes in :D

hope to see you in August, Athena

hey hey hey..... its as diverse as it gets since i was born in that hospital. :D