Stony Brook & Mount Siani Merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvinhobbes

Attending Physician and Preceptor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just heard about this being talked about at Stony Brook Medicine, that there is a proposal for a merger with Mount Sinai School of Medicine (it's called Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai now). Any thoughts?

I know Stony Brook has long wanted to send its students to NYC for rotations, so merging with Mount Sinai makes sense. But not sure if this proposed merger is an actual merger of the institutions or just shared rotations spots.

Can anyone at Mount Sinai share intel on this? Stony Brook has all-but finished its proposal and talks with Mount Sinai are on-going but State-approval is needed regardless.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Haha thanks for the correction. Didn't catch that when I was typing on mobile :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Just heard about this being talked about at Stony Brook Medicine, that there is a proposal for a merger with Mount Sinai School of Medicine (it's called Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai now). Any thoughts?

I know Stony Brook has long wanted to send its students to NYC for rotations, so merging with Mount Sinai makes sense. But not sure if this proposed merger is an actual merger of the institutions or just shared rotations spots.

Can anyone at Mount Sinai share intel on this? Stony Brook has all-but finished its proposal and talks with Mount Sinai are on-going but State-approval is needed regardless.

Thanks!

link or it's not real

ps - not really sure what sinai gets out of this

Last edited:
I'm not sure what either group gets out of it. The two schools are very far apart, the commute is a pain in the ass, and they're both tertiary level academic centers with large patient poulations. Only major differences in patient populations are a slightly different trauma populatio, sickle cell and HIV populations in NYC, and lyme populations out at SBUH. Only major subspecialties that you don'g get exposure to at SBUH is transplant medicine

I say this having done med school in NYC and residency out in LI.