StonyBrook Waitlisted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any idea when the waitlists starts moving and how much of the waitlist actually gets accepted?

Any of those who got accepted off Waitlist last year or even this year (if they moved any yet?) have any advice, because stonybrook is my #1 choice.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

boyz of 4d said:
Any idea when the waitlists starts moving and how much of the waitlist actually gets accepted?

Any of those who got accepted off Waitlist last year or even this year (if they moved any yet?) have any advice, because stonybrook is my #1 choice.

Thanks

no idea...really sorry. i'd like to know myself. i am also waitlisted by stonybk

bump... anyone have any success in emailing dr. fuhrer?

Members don't see this ad :)
i have an interview at stonybrook tomorrow...their last day..and my first interview...

any advice or thoughts about the interview day there?

boyz of 4d said:
bump... anyone have any success in emailing dr. fuhrer?

I don't think that'd be a good idea. I spoke with the admissions office...they said they discourage trying to contact the dean. But maybe other ppl have tried and been successful. dunno......

Are you on the waitlist?

Do you know about how much come off the waitlist or anythin

PJ1120 said:
I don't think that'd be a good idea. I spoke with the admissions office...they said they discourage trying to contact the dean. But maybe other ppl have tried and been successful. dunno......

boyz of 4d said:
Are you on the waitlist?

Do you know about how much come off the waitlist or anythin

Hey, I've been trying to read past threads on the waitlist, and it seems a third of the class comes from the waitlist...

My questions are...if anyone is on SB's waitlist, are we all on SB's "high priority" list? Or is just everyone on SDN on this high priority list? Is there even a regular waitlist?

Last couple of years, people talk about a waitlist and there was doubt that there was an official high priority list...

My mom's happier with my waitlist letters as to her, they seem to be getting friendlier and closer to an acceptance :oops: LOL

hey guys, there is only one wait list and it is ranked. But they wont tell you your rank, you can write a LOI or send more recs if it is your number one choice, but a prof. on the admin committee told me those have a slim chance of helping. SB is slow and some of us can be waiting to get off the list up until August, so keep your hopes up! :eek:

while I was interviewing at SB, I talked to some second-years and they told me that at least 30 people were offered admission by phone on May 15th. they didn't know the exact number, only that around 30 accepted and are now attending.

I declined my spot last friday (great timing to get my deposit back!), I hope it goes to one of you wonderful SDNers!

nairay said:
I declined my spot last friday (great timing to get my deposit back!), I hope it goes to one of you wonderful SDNers!

what sucks is that based on last year, they don't start calling till June 9th. Wow, 4 more weeks of this crap!

This has been the year of the "Dangling Carrot."

yeah, june 9th seems to be the date. good luck everyone. thanks nairay

Members don't see this ad :)
Mr. Sparkle, is June 9th based on something somebody in admissions told you? I called last week and they told me they should move either this week or the next. I sure hope that is right because I hate the waiting. Let me know.

mr. sparkle said:
yeah, june 9th seems to be the date. good luck everyone. thanks nairay

who told you that in admissions? i heard july....

boyz of 4d said:
Mr. Sparkle, is June 9th based on something somebody in admissions told you? I called last week and they told me they should move either this week or the next. I sure hope that is right because I hate the waiting. Let me know.

boyz of 4d said:
secretary when i called

yeah, but if you look on the Waitlist Movement from Last year you will see there was movement starting June 9th up till mid july.

Hoping it's sooner obviously.

making us wait is just cruel. :smuggrin:

anyone know how many people are on the waitlist?

boyz of 4d said:
yeah, it was based on movement from last year.

Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted off the HPL with a phone call! I'll be attending SB. Good luck to all of you :)

CONGRATS!! Thats great news.... and good to know some waitlists are moving along :) yay for alfie

alfie110 said:
Hi Everyone,

I just got accepted off the HPL with a phone call! I'll be attending SB. Good luck to all of you :)

Congrats!! So, tell us your secret. Did you have the surgeon general send a letter of rec? Personal call from Mr. Bush? j/k but did you send a letter of intent, call alot, etc. I would love to be joining you in August!

alfie110 said:
Hi Everyone,

Congrats Alfie! Glad to hear that the waitlist is moving :thumbup:

Alfie,

Do you mind posting your stats to see if I have a snowball's chance in hell?

Thanks,

I Fell

Hellooo,

Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes. To answer some of your questions :

-I interviewed early on (early September) and was notified that I was on the High Priority List at the beginning of October.

-I finished my senior year of college this year. Throughout the year, I kept the schools notified of changes and sent the following info:
*A transcript with my fall semester grades in January
* As soon as I received a letter about being placed on the waitlist, I wrote a letter to the Dean to acknowledge my placement on the waitlist and indicate my desire to attend the school. I made it a point to list all the reasons why I was still motivated and excited to be an applicant to Stony Brook.
* In early April, I sent a 'Letter of Updates' in which I discussed new things that were going on since my interview (ie. new leadership positions, jobs, honors, awards)
*Also in April, I sent a Letter of Intent stating that Stony Brook was my first choice
*I have also sent a transcript with my spring semester grades as well as my Degree Posting. If you just graduated, be sure to have transcripts sent to all the schools you are waiting for!

- I did call every now and then, but wasn't compulsive about it either. On the average, I probably called every other month either to check my status or ask a question.

-My most recent contact with the Admissions Office was last week when I called and then sent them an e-mail notifying them that I would be travelling out of the country for a week in June. They wrote back right away to confirm they had received my e-mail. If any of you have travel plans out of the US, you should notify all your schools and give them a contact person who can receive information and make decisions on your behalf.

-I received an acceptance phone call on May 26th around 3:00 pm. You will have to answer a few questions on the phone. I was told that an acceptance packet will be sent to me over night.

I hope this helps all of you. Please let me know if I can answer any more questions!

gpa /and mcat

alfie110 said:
Hellooo,

Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes. To answer some of your questions :

-I interviewed early on (early September) and was notified that I was on the High Priority List at the beginning of October.

-I finished my senior year of college this year. Throughout the year, I kept the schools notified of changes and sent the following info:
*A transcript with my fall semester grades in January
* As soon as I received a letter about being placed on the waitlist, I wrote a letter to the Dean to acknowledge my placement on the waitlist and indicate my desire to attend the school. I made it a point to list all the reasons why I was still motivated and excited to be an applicant to Stony Brook.
* In early April, I sent a 'Letter of Updates' in which I discussed new things that were going on since my interview (ie. new leadership positions, jobs, honors, awards)
*Also in April, I sent a Letter of Intent stating that Stony Brook was my first choice
*I have also sent a transcript with my spring semester grades as well as my Degree Posting. If you just graduated, be sure to have transcripts sent to all the schools you are waiting for!

- I did call every now and then, but wasn't compulsive about it either. On the average, I probably called every other month either to check my status or ask a question.

-My most recent contact with the Admissions Office was last week when I called and then sent them an e-mail notifying them that I would be travelling out of the country for a week in June. They wrote back right away to confirm they had received my e-mail. If any of you have travel plans out of the US, you should notify all your schools and give them a contact person who can receive information and make decisions on your behalf.

-I received an acceptance phone call on May 26th around 3:00 pm. You will have to answer a few questions on the phone. I was told that an acceptance packet will be sent to me over night.

I hope this helps all of you. Please let me know if I can answer any more questions!

Me too. has anyone been sending updat letters/letter of interest?

Good luck to everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :thumbup: