Stop being a whiner, GOV needs your help (and give you money) in developing COVID test!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipotrader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
“We need all innovators, from the basement to the boardroom, to come together to advance diagnostic technologies, no matter where they are in development,” said NIH Director Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D. “Now is the time for that unmatched American ingenuity to bring the best and most innovative technologies forward to make testing for COVID-19 widely available.”

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I will take the bait: why?

Go read the MIT update that broke down the Columbia University study on the basic science of cellular and humoral immunity of humans to the coronavirus family. We likely have no lasting immunity and maybe not even a short lived immunity. This would make any serology based testing platform or the idea of identifying subpopulations that are immune impossible.

I hope this wrong, I hope Stanford and Mark Davis/Atlas are right. But I have very bad feeling about this one.

Not whining, but Im not sure the massive focus on testing is even remotely warranted given what we now know.

The idea of asymptomatic carrier is interesting. We interface with trillions of microorganisms commensally. The innate immune system deals with gardens of microorganisms on multiple mucosal surfaces. These include a variety coronaviridae. The responses to COVID-19 involves a hyper-exaggerated innate immune response (cytokine storm and all that). How likely is it that a humoral response to COVID-19 and subsequent adaptive immunity will work (A necessity for vaccine development)? A vaccine, cure, or immunity to the common cold viruses have not been demonstrated. These are treated by managing the symptoms resulting from cytokines. COVID-19 may need to be managed by cocktails comprised of protease inhibitors (tamiflu type drugs) and RNA inhibitors (remdisivir). The NIH under the direction of Fauci has attempted an HIV vaccine since the early 1990s and so far unsuccessful. HIV treatment results in an assymptomatic carrier state using inhibitory therapeutics. This may be the most promising option for treating COVID-19. The susceptible (chronically ill and predisposed) can become “asymptomatic carriers“ by prophylaxis/treatment using inhibitory/virucidal cocktail therapeutics while strengthening innate immunity.

Last edited:
"Asymptomatic patient" and "carrier state" are different concepts. I don't see any literature mentioning of carrier state so far, i.e., a patient keeps testing positive for months (or years) for COVID-19 by RT-PCR method. Asymptomatic patient simply means that someone is infected and without any symptoms, BUT this person will have the same course of disease as the ones with symptoms, i.e., the viruses will be cleared out by the body in 3-4 weeks.

If the "carrier state" does exist, and this "healthy" patient keeps shedding virus, then this virus will be truly disastrous due too its high infection rate and air-borne nature of infection. Again, so far I don't see any literature to support that.