Strange interview questions~anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering....are any of you getting questions that are catching you off guard? I've seen some on here but thought a good list might be nice of random questions from specific schools....so feel free to add on...

A U of Colorado interiewer asked me about what caused homeosexuality, to explain DNA replication...he then went on to ask how males and females were different. Ironically, he had asked the same type of questions during a previous interview and another student posted it at <a href="http://www.interviewfeedback.com" target="_blank">www.interviewfeedback.com</a> so I at least was a little forewarned about him. It was my first interview so I guess I was expecting a slightly different line of questioning! (FYI~interviewfeedback is pretty helpful)

Members don't see this ad.

At my South Alabama interview, I was chatting with a female applicant and she told me that one of her interviewers asked her to pretend they were dating and to break up with him (something like this). I was discussing this with a female med student at my university and she said he was most likely trying to determine how she delivers bad news. Sounds logical to me...though a bit uncomfortable.

Originally posted by Accept_me:
•I was asked to do an Elvis impersonation at the University of Utah.•••

Seriously?!? That's hillarious....how'd you do?

:D :D :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Somebody I knew flew a thousand miles to an interview and the interviewer had his feet on his desk, and asked "tell me a day in the life of a Russian." And that was the interview.

at columbia, i met a guy who just came out of an interview where the interviewer made the applicant (a math major) attempt to solve a difficult math problem. he couldn't do it. he was pretty upset about it.

my interviewer asked if u didnt get accepted to medical school what would u do?

I said, I already got accepted, and then this part which i thought was VERY annoying and none of her business. She had the nerve to ask me which schools I got accepted, and which schools I have interviews...on top of that, she took note of which schools!?

wassup with that?!

The question that was asked of you, whatchamacallit, has been a common one for years.
It is likely that you have an excellent record; the interviewer in that case presumably wanted to know what their competition for you was. It was very much to your advantage to tell her. If you DISPLAYED your irritation, you did yourself a disservice.

As for the other scenarios recounted in this thread, they are not all that uncommon either.
How the interviewee reacts is telling. An interview is not just about getting answers to specific questions. Body language: tone of voice, posture, eye contact, facial expression, can be equally significant or more so than what you know about any subject.

While it was not mentioned, disparaging, putting down anyone, particularly the competition, as well as bad doctors, nurses, teachers, etc. will not earn any brownie points either. Negativity is bad, accentuating the positive is good.

If you feel truly offended by a question, you do not have to sit there and take it. YOU abort the interview, report it IMMEDIATELY to Admissions, and demand another interviewer there and then. Interviewers are instructed on which questions are impermissable. Do not leave and then complain after you get home.

Interviews can be stressful, but they are designed to discover reasons to accept you, not to reject you. If you are invited to interview, you are acceptable on paper.