Strange question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of an odd question. Anyone who has witnessed a surgery or perhaps a childbirth, how would you describe that aseptic smell from inside the body. I can't really describe what the smell is but it smells sterile. In case you are wondering, I'm starting to write my personal statement and am trying to describe this smell. Someone who knows what I'm talking about, please help.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that what the aseptic smell is from?

Members don't see this ad :)
dradams said:
I have a bit of an odd question. Anyone who has witnessed a surgery or perhaps a childbirth, how would you describe that aseptic smell from inside the body. I can't really describe what the smell is but it smells sterile. In case you are wondering, I'm starting to write my personal statement and am trying to describe this smell. Someone who knows what I'm talking about, please help.

Thanks.

We should start a poll for the scariest or most disturbing post ever. My vote is for this one.
:laugh:

dradams said:
Is that what the aseptic smell is from?

It is the bacteriocidal iodine compound that it used to prep incision sites. Brown, comes in translucent bottles, dries to a thin film on the skin. If you have tincture of iodine@home, go smell it.

AKA Povidone

Thanks. I guess that is the smell I'm thinking of.

betadine isn't put inside a body. Don't try to write about something that you don't understand, just write what you experienced and describe it in terms that you understand.

Is betadine used for childbirth?

dradams said:

Thanks.

My personal statement starts of with witnessing a childbirth too. :) I couldn't think of how to describe the smell so I went with describing what I saw or what I felt as I was watching the process

Maybe it's blood, that tends to smell a bit metallic
~doc

just call it "the very distinct odor" or or something to that effect.

From the surgeries that I've witnessed, the only thing I can remember is the smell of burnt tissue from being cauterized. I've worked closely with rabbit surgeries and they smell like blood (metallicky smell). I'm not sure what you mean about a "sterile" smell. Maybe betadine....but I never realized you can smell that through a face mask.

Doc Ivy said:
Maybe it's blood, that tends to smell a bit metallic
~doc

It's the iron in the hemoglobin (I used to smell this 2-3 times a week when I had to decapitate rats for experiements)

-nina

dradams said:
Is betadine used for childbirth?

Not for a natural childbirth (except maybe for episiotomy but a lot of women elect not to have those anymore because they are un-needed and cause more tearing), maybe a c-sect since that is surgery?

MamaMD

Well, the doc used betadine on my wife when my son was being born. Not exactly sure why. Didn't ask him at the time. Could it be in case there is tearing?

dradams said:
Well, the doc used betadine on my wife when my son was being born. Not exactly sure why. Didn't ask him at the time. Could it be in case there is tearing?

I guess that is what I meant by my above post....they will use it, especially when an episiotomy is being performed. Of course it totaly depends on the doctor, some may use it for every delivery no matter what.

I guess I just know mainly natural type childbirth docs and midwifes so my thinking must be different with this ;)

Marilyn