Strategic relocation to a less competitive state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drross90210

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A MD applicant's chance of an acceptance varies by their state of residence. Yet, I rarely see advice for applicants to relocate to a less competitive state. For example: finish up at a UC school in May, move from California to Texas or Oregon in June, and work in a clinical job in Texas or Oregon for a year. If the first application cycle doesn't result in an acceptance, reapply as a Texas or Oregon resident during the second cycle. Or someone from Massachusetts moves to Vermont or South Carolina, etc. It's not very hard to establish residency if you move someplace to work. Could strategically relocating be a reasonable backup plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really. It could probably work for some people at the margins, but it seems like a very personally disruptive way to maybe obtain an incremental advantage. It's important to keep in mind that the published stats are aggregates, but that each of us is an individual. A weak candidate does not become a strong one by moving from a state like CA, with a relatively low matriculation rate, to a state like WV, with a higher one.

Of course, that is an extreme example, and it could work, assuming one is willing to upend their life by moving, working, and then attending school and maybe residency in WV. By far the less disruptive and more efficient path is to simply do whatever is necessary to improve your application from wherever you happen to already be established.

And, for the record, it will not be easy to actually gain whatever advantage is reserved for IS applicants at state schools by establishing residency for a year or two before applying, since that really doesn't evidence a commitment to stay post graduation.

TX and OR are actually terrible examples. While their schools are famous for favoring IS applicants, the ratio of applicants to available seats is very unfavorable for applicants. As a result, only 15.1% of OR applicants matriculate IS. The comparable number for TX is 27.3% The numbers are better for VT or SC, but hardly good enough to chase by moving and then praying.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorta in that boat right now when considering re-app. My spouse and I talked about it for well over a year. What do we do if I don't get in? Should we make a strategic relocation to a state that best fits our needs? For me, it's a matter of a.) taking a gap year if I don't get in this cycle, b.) finding a state that has public med schools that I'm a good fit for, and c.) finding a state that is a good fit for us (employment, geography, weather, culture, COLA, ect.). Not a move I take lightly, but I don't think it's irrational if it means a lot to you. Reflect on it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really. It could probably work for some people at the margins, but it seems like a very personally disruptive way to maybe obtain an incremental advantage. It's important to keep in mind that the published stats are aggregates, but that each of us is an individual. A weak candidate does not become a strong one by moving from a state like CA, with a relatively low matriculation rate, to a state like WV, with a higher one.

Of course, that is an extreme example, and it could work, assuming one is willing to upend their life by moving, working, and then attending school and maybe residency in WV. By far the less disruptive and more efficient path is to simply do whatever is necessary to improve your application from wherever you happen to already be established.

And, for the record, it will not be easy to actually gain whatever advantage is reserved for IS applicants at state schools by establishing residency for a year or two before applying, since that really doesn't evidence a commitment to stay post graduation.

TX and OR are actually terrible examples. While their schools are famous for favoring IS applicants, the ratio of applicants to available seats is very unfavorable for applicants. As a result, only 15.1% of OR applicants matriculate IS. The comparable number for TX is 27.3% The numbers are better for VT or SC, but hardly good enough to chase by moving and then praying.
I'll defer to you if it's more favorable to be an applicant from OR/TX rather than CA (although looking the MCAT 25-75th percentiles at the public med schools in CA, TX, and OR, it would suggest to me that it's not more favorable to be from CA). If your weakness is a lack of clinical exposure and life experience, obtaining a clinical job in another state could be what makes you a stronger candidate. And if it does turn out that moving to a new state is too disruptive to handle, this be good to know about oneself before applying broadly across the country for med school. So to me, the issue may be picking the right state. However, I wasn't aware that "commitment to stay post graduation" is considered----is that generally true?

Reactions: 1 user
I'll defer to you if it's more favorable to be an applicant from OR/TX rather than CA (although looking the MCAT 25-75th percentiles at the public med schools in CA, TX, and OR, it would suggest to me that it's not more favorable to be from CA). If your weakness is a lack of clinical exposure and life experience, obtaining a clinical job in another state could be what makes you a stronger candidate. And if it does turn out that moving to a new state is too disruptive to handle, this be good to know about oneself before applying broadly across the country for med school. So to me, the issue may be picking the right state. However, I wasn't aware that "commitment to stay post graduation" is considered----is that generally true?
It's not explicitly required, but it's implied. The taxpayer benefit is not designed for people to come in from OOS, establish residency, grab the benefit, and then go back to where they came from. Schools will screen for this, to greater or lesser degrees, depending on how attractive you are as a candidate.

Most state schools, other than the national ones like UCLA, UCSF, Michigan, etc., have training physicians to serve in the state as part of their mission. You make an excellent point about knowing whether or not a big move would be disruptive prior to making it for school. My point was more about making it for no reason other than to enhance one's chances to get into a school, and then still not getting into school.

As far as med school admissions go, it's important to keep in mind that a lot more goes into it than just MCAT and GPA. The IS success rates in OR and TX are far below the national averages, even though they heavily favor their own residents. This is because there is a much larger than average imbalance there between applicants and seats.

Whatever your stats happen to be, I am just doubting that a weak CA applicant becomes a strong OR or TX applicant after living there for a year or two. Any improvements you make would equally apply if you stayed in CA. Overall, CA had a slightly below average 34.5% success rate last cycle. It was 33.7% in OR, and 32.8% in TX.

Hardly worth moving for, notwithstanding the fact that their public schools have lower stats than those in CA. It just means they have lower scoring IS applicants, but there is no reason to believe they care about raising their stats. Harvard, UCSF and Duke have lower MCAT numbers than WashU, Penn and NYU. They could certainly be higher if they cared about it.

There is no guarantee any place you moved to would consider you one of their own after a year or two, and warmly embrace you and your superior stats, if they are focused on training people with roots in the state, which definitely seems to be a thing in places like TX. A move makes sense if you have multiple reasons to do it, and would be happy being in the place if med school doesn't work out. OTOH, planning a move around hopefully enhancing the odds of getting into med school just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 2742 Californians got into med school last cycle. There is no reason you cannot do it as well, without having to move across the country before applying.

Last edited:
Every state has rules setting up residency, and I think moving just to get yourself a chance for medical school seems to me a silly strategy.

I think you may be better served going into the military for a few years, then get honorably discharged and apply, provided you are eligible for the GI Bill benefits. Some states' residency rules are very friendly to veterans and often treat them as if they were in-state (check policies if those exist). Let others correct me if I am mistaken with this simplified suggestion. Of course you still need an awesome application.

Every state has rules setting up residency, and I think moving just to get yourself a chance for medical school seems to me a silly strategy.

I think you may be better served going into the military for a few years, then get honorably discharged and apply, provided you are eligible for the GI Bill benefits. Some states' residency rules are very friendly to veterans and often treat them as if they were in-state (check policies if those exist). Let others correct me if I am mistaken with this simplified suggestion. Of course you still need an awesome application.
I dunno. If moving to another state to enhance the odds is going far out of one's way, what is serving in the military to achieve the same goal? :)

I'm not a military expert (maybe @Matthew9Thirtyfive can comment?), but my understanding is that you keep your state of residence while serving, and are also considered a resident of whatever state you happen to be based in while serving. It's not as simple as a veteran being considered IS in all 50 states (or in any state other than the one they happen to live in, post-discharge, just like anyone else)! :)

Finally, my points were not about the technical requirements to be considered IS for tuition purposes. In most states, being a resident for a full year by the time of matriculation (with time spent as a full time student not counting) is usually sufficient. That's for IS tuition. Actually receiving an IS admission preference, however, is an entirely different matter.

At state schools looking to train people to serve the state, recently moving to the state and claiming a lifelong desire to serve could possibly be subject to some skeptical scrutiny. Being ex-military and not originally from the state wouldn't really be any different.

This is, of course, totally separate from the boost ex-military receive in general, due to all the leadership and service qualities they bring. But, spending several years in the military just to try to get a leg up on a future med school application does seem like taking the most difficult route possible.

Everyone I have ever spoken to about the subject has advised that the military is great for the right type of person, but is absolutely the wrong decision for anyone without a genuine desire to serve. Using it as a means to an end might be a good call for a kid out of HS with no direction in life, but is generally a bad idea for someone looking for something to put on a med school application, or for someone looking to finance a med school application without a true passion for the mission.

I have served. It's fairly easy to establish residency in a state while serving, even if you don't live there. However, that's a particularly bad reason to join the military (there are many good reasons to join). Moving from CA to WV to work in a rural health clinic is immeasurably less disruptive than joining the military.

Thanks! I appreciate trying to hash out the idea of trying to switch to gain some admissions advantage. Definitely joining the military would not be a great solution, but I threw it out there at least because I was aware of some states doing that.

But OP, if you have served, thank you for your service. I would definitely reach out to schools once you have narrowed down your destination and get some advice about whether you would be supported at those programs.

East TN/Quillan is one such veteran loving school.

Going off what @gonnif said, I wonder how ADCOMs weigh the following (specifically in TX): an applicant who went OOS for undergrad, but stated a permanent resident in their home state, and are now applying for their in-state schools.

Going off what @gonnif said, I wonder how ADCOMs weigh the following (specifically in TX): an applicant who went OOS for undergrad, but stated a permanent resident in their home state, and are now applying for their in-state schools.
There's nothing to wonder about that. It's very common. If you are a legal resident of a state, have grown up in a state, went to UG OOS, and are now applying to medical school as IS, it doesn't take a lot to convince an adcom that your ties to the state are legit.

Attending college out of state does not lose you your Texas resident categorization; you would still be classified in the in-state pool for med school application.

For some states (ex. Tennessee) it may be worth it but I don’t know the residency requirements.

Please be advised that if someone moves to a state with a medical school with relatively low admissions criteria, there is a chance that the members of the admissions committee will smell a rat and deny admission to that applicant. This is what happened to Paula Buchwald when she applied to the University of New Mexico medical school. She sued the medical school in federal court claiming that her constitutional rights were violated. She ultimately lost.

I would be very apprehensive about moving to a relatively poor state, with significant medical workforce problems, hoping that low admissions criteria will pave an easy path to admission.

If they grew up in Texas and graduated HS, going OOS for college will not in anyway damage their ties to the state.
What if someone lived in a state, grew up there, worked there and went to college there, but graduated high school across the border into a neighboring state

This might be more transparent than you think it is. My home state university has a mechanism to protect against this even at the undergraduate level. Most students need to establish 5 years of residence to be considered state residents and qualify for the attractive in state tuition rate.

Texas has so many medschools, if you are even slightly competitive in Cali, establish residency in Texas and you will be a competitive applicant. There was a SDNer based in Washington state who uprooted their entire family to move to Texas and take advantage of the very liberal-minded Texas Academic Fresh Start program College For All Texans: Academic Fresh Start on their journey to matriculating into a Texas medschool.

• Wow
I understand your reasoning gonnif.

I am basing my advice on Texas Fresh Start based on my application experience. I invoked Texas Fresh Start with a gap of 19 years from my first college degree when I started my application to TMDSAS. When I applied under TMDSAS, I remember it was at all 12 schools at the time. Now there are 15 I believe. For "****s and giggles" I also applied to 20(?) AMCAS schools and was not surprised I did not receive any bites from them.

Of the 12 apps, I received and went on 7 invites and interviews. Only one person who interviewed me said something along the lines of "you did Texas Fresh Start..." I said yes that's correct. That was it. Other 6 interviews never mentioned anything about it.

I ended up pre-matched to 5, the 6th (when I called to ask why I didn't match) said I didn't because I didn't rank them #1, otherwise I would have matched. Only one school I interviewed at did not extend an offer.

Based on my experience, interviewers want to see whether you can handle the medschool curriculum, be passionate about medicine, and not quit/fail. A nearly perfect Fresh Start GPA along with a solid MCAT score and the tenacity to travel such a long path to medicine under Fresh Start assuage those concerns. Any gaps in the education is not an issue, and if ever brought up in an interview can easily be addressed by being truthful.
Overall, it's an option to consider for Tx medschools if peeps run out of options with AMCAS schools.