Strength of a school in terms of residency matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingImpatiently

Long Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can I find some sort of list (anything) that ranks/rates/discusses the strength of schools with regard to residency matching?

I know that someone posted that link about how top schools send most of their students to top residency programs, but what about the rest of the medical schools? How would USC compare with, say, Einstein?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
U can go to USNews ranking site and sort the list by "reputation by residency directors". That'll give you an idea of how the residency honchoes will rate you coming from school X.

I compared the 2001 lists for Hopkins, Michigan, Yale, and Stanford and they all looked pretty similar. I bet the top 10 lists are virtually similar except for the fact that the majority of graduates tend to stay in the same region. Also, the % of students entering each specialty are remarkably similar. (derm=2, neurosurg=3, ophthy=4, primary care=~50% etc) It seems like ~25% end up staying at the same institution. Finally, the matchlist can vary a lot year to year within the same school.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by chef:
•Hi,
U can go to USNews ranking site and sort the list by "reputation by residency directors". That'll give you an idea of how the residency honchoes will rate you coming from school X.

I compared the 2001 lists for Hopkins, Michigan, Yale, and Stanford and they all looked pretty similar. I bet the top 10 lists are virtually similar except for the fact that the majority of graduates tend to stay in the same region. Also, the % of students entering each specialty are remarkably similar. (derm=2, neurosurg=3, ophthy=4, primary care=~50% etc) It seems like ~25% end up staying at the same institution. Finally, the matchlist can vary a lot year to year within the same school.•••••Thanks, but some schools give you a list of where every single one of their graduates is heading next year... that's what I would want, ideally.

mcwmd.com has a non-comprensive list of links to the info you're looking for. also, checking school sites may prove successful.