SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Strength of a school in terms of residency matching?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WaitingImpatiently, Mar 25, 2002.

1. WaitingImpatiently

WaitingImpatiently Long Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Where can I find some sort of list (anything) that ranks/rates/discusses the strength of schools with regard to residency matching?

I know that someone posted that link about how top schools send most of their students to top residency programs, but what about the rest of the medical schools? How would USC compare with, say, Einstein?

Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chef

chef Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2001
    Hi,
    U can go to USNews ranking site and sort the list by "reputation by residency directors". That'll give you an idea of how the residency honchoes will rate you coming from school X.

I compared the 2001 lists for Hopkins, Michigan, Yale, and Stanford and they all looked pretty similar. I bet the top 10 lists are virtually similar except for the fact that the majority of graduates tend to stay in the same region. Also, the % of students entering each specialty are remarkably similar. (derm=2, neurosurg=3, ophthy=4, primary care=~50% etc) It seems like ~25% end up staying at the same institution. Finally, the matchlist can vary a lot year to year within the same school.

4. WaitingImpatiently

WaitingImpatiently Long Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2002
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by chef:
    <strong>Hi,
    U can go to USNews ranking site and sort the list by "reputation by residency directors". That'll give you an idea of how the residency honchoes will rate you coming from school X.

I compared the 2001 lists for Hopkins, Michigan, Yale, and Stanford and they all looked pretty similar. I bet the top 10 lists are virtually similar except for the fact that the majority of graduates tend to stay in the same region. Also, the % of students entering each specialty are remarkably similar. (derm=2, neurosurg=3, ophthy=4, primary care=~50% etc) It seems like ~25% end up staying at the same institution. Finally, the matchlist can vary a lot year to year within the same school.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, but some schools give you a list of where every single one of their graduates is heading next year... that's what I would want, ideally.

5. pre-hawkdoc

pre-hawkdoc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Iowa
    mcwmd.com has a non-comprensive list of links to the info you're looking for. also, checking school sites may prove successful.