Strengthen Pediatric Dentistry Application D3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddodent2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D3 wanting to apply to peds. Is there anything I can do to strengthen my application before the end of August? I didn't know I wanted to specialize until a few months ago. What can I do before I submit my application?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Try to assist a peds resident with their research project at your school. Good way to meet the other residents/faculty/etc.

2. Externships (I visited three or so back in the day). Externships are two sided; can be super helpful or hurt you. Dependent on if you are courteous/respectful/engaged vs. annoying/any bad quality you can think of.

3. Pediatric focused volunteering (give kids a smile, non-dental children related volunteer opportunities)

4. Shadowing pediatric dental offices (good to network and sometimes they may be affiliated with a program as an adjunct faculty which can lead to a good rec letter).

5. Reach out of pediatric faculty at your school and talk with them about how to improve your chances and their thoughts on what a constitutes a good applicant.

**Programs are looking for those that are interested in working with kids, how they have demonstrated that through their activities and that they are academically qualified to pass the pediatric board exams.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I appreciate your help
1. Try to assist a peds resident with their research project at your school. Good way to meet the other residents/faculty/etc.

2. Externships (I visited three or so back in the day). Externships are two sided; can be super helpful or hurt you. Dependent on if you are courteous/respectful/engaged vs. annoying/any bad quality you can think of.

3. Pediatric focused volunteering (give kids a smile, non-dental children related volunteer opportunities)

4. Shadowing pediatric dental offices (good to network and sometimes they may be affiliated with a program as an adjunct faculty which can lead to a good rec letter).

5. Reach out of pediatric faculty at your school and talk with them about how to improve your chances and their thoughts on what a constitutes a good applicant.

**Programs are looking for those that are interested in working with kids, how they have demonstrated that through their activities and that they are academically qualified to pass the pediatric board exams.
  1. I did start a research project with a faculty and pediatric faculty. I did a poster presentation, but it is not published yet.
  2. I have been thinking of applying for externships. Does the name of the program make a difference? or is it better to do it based on what I consider is my top choice/think I might be able to get an interview from there?
  3. I have been trying to do more volunteering. I did one where we educated kids about hygiene. GKAS is coming up, and I'm super excited to be a part of it
  4. This is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. Thank you!
  5. I have reached out to one of our faculty and asked for a letter of recommendation. He said he would be happy to write me one.
We don't know our ranks yet. My GPA is higher than 3.5. I don't think I will be in the top half of my class, there isn't much I can do to change this sadly.

I haven't done anything that shows I have experience working with kids like tutoring them in math or babysitting lol

Thank you so much for your feedback! I appreciate your help

1. I did start a research project with a faculty and pediatric faculty. I did a poster presentation, but it is not published yet. Awesome!
  2. I have been thinking of applying for externships. Does the name of the program make a difference? or is it better to do it based on what I consider is my top choice/think I might be able to get an interview from there? No I would say visit the programs you want to go to and/or would like to get an interview from.

1. I have been trying to do more volunteering. I did one where we educated kids about hygiene. GKAS is coming up, and I'm super excited to be a part of it
  2. This is a good idea that I hadn't thought of. Thank you! Welcome!
  3. I have reached out to one of our faculty and asked for a letter of recommendation. He said he would be happy to write me one.
We don't know our ranks yet. My GPA is higher than 3.5. I don't think I will be in the top half of my class, there isn't much I can do to change this sadly.
I haven't done anything that shows I have experience working with kids like tutoring them in math or babysitting lol. All good, the big thing is if you are able to visit the peds clinic at your school and either shadow when you don't have patients or try to see more patients there when you can. As you get interviews, a common question they will ask if you have actually treated patients and how do you know you enjoy working with kids? Hard to interview if you have only ever done sealants on a child and then want to specialize in peds.