Strengths in Non-Medical Fields -- Where to apply?

Started by pianola
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I just finished taking the MCAT and I'm now in the process of trying to decide where to apply. I was wondering if anyone had any particular advice in the area of schools that take an active interest in "unusual" candidates...

About me: I double majored in a Romance language and one of the fine arts; I am about to receive a master's degree in nutritional sciences. I briefly interned with a biotechnology company in the bay area. I will be trained as a nursing assistant this summer. (Assorted other volunteer and research experience).

**My question is: Outside of my state schools (to which I will obviously apply), what schools are interested in candidates with unique/unusual educational backgrounds? Are there any schools that particularly welcome candidates with broad educational backgrounds and/or backgrounds in newer areas of health (e.g. nutrition)?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Pianola






~~~~~~~~~
Stats (for reference):
Grad GPA: 4.0 (mid-tier college)
Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (top tier college)
MCAT: [35? Just took it today. I actually have no idea what I made. Assume 35 is a somewhat reasonable guess.]
Resident: Florida
 
Hi, I just finished taking the MCAT and I'm now in the process of trying to decide where to apply. I was wondering if anyone had any particular advice in the area of schools that take an active interest in "unusual" candidates...

About me: I double majored in a Romance language and one of the fine arts; I am about to receive a master's degree in nutritional sciences. I briefly interned with a biotechnology company in the bay area. I will be trained as a nursing assistant this summer. (Assorted other volunteer and research experience).

**My question is: Outside of my state schools (to which I will obviously apply), what schools are interested in candidates with unique/unusual educational backgrounds? Are there any schools that particularly welcome candidates with broad educational backgrounds and/or backgrounds in newer areas of health (e.g. nutrition)?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Pianola






~~~~~~~~~
Stats (for reference):
Grad GPA: 4.0 (mid-tier college)
Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (top tier college)
MCAT: [35? Just took it today. I actually have no idea what I made. Assume 35 is a somewhat reasonable guess.]
Resident: Florida


I would say apply anywhere you'd like. As long as you have the pre-reqs and a good science GPA, as well as solid MCAT scores, I don't see why your major/educational experience would be a hindrance. As far as I've heard, every school is looking for diversity as far as majors go.