Stress -free zone for applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stfrancis126

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! Like many of you, I am currently anxiously waiting and worrying about my applications and whether I will be interviewed or accepted anywhere (c/o 2019). I am finding this stress to be all-consuming and anxiety inducing, and most of the threads I've read on here only seem to intensify these feelings. So I just really want to make a thread where we DO NOT talk about applications, and instead create a stress free zone where we can come to feel better and still be supported. My hope is that everyone on here can stop talking about their chances of getting into X or Y vet school for a few moments and instead share some of their favorite memories of their experiences in vet med or with animals, what made you interested in the field, etc. I promise you, talking about why we love this field so much will relieve some of the stress of applying, even if only for a little while! I'll start:

I have always wanted to be a vet (because we haven't all heard that 1000 times). I've had the opportunity to work as a vet tech during undergrad, and I love every day I spend at the hospital. But I think one experience that made me fall in love with the field even more has happened at home. On the day I brought my Ragdoll kitten home, he was playing and we think inhaled a feather from a new toy. He started salivating uncontrollably, pawing at his mouth and collapsed in my arms, gums gray, eyes completely dilated, and no breathing. Thanks to my time at the hospital I was able to save his life. When he came back to me and regained color in his gums and started breathing and crying again, it was the best feeling in the world, and I reaffirmed to myself that I was in the right field. If I hadn't been training at the hospital, he likely would have died. He got a clean bill of health and hasn't had a problem in the few years since.

Being able to help and save animals is why we are all putting ourselves through this! So your turn guys, what are some of your favorite memories?
 
Great thread idea!!!!!! My favorite was during my first day observing a surgery. The doctor was spaying a dog and I thought the process would be like something off of House and was super nervous. When he was doing the surgery, he started poking around in the dog, pulled out something long and pink and then, in a moment I'll never forget, said "oops, wrong one!" Just FYI, hes a great doctor, but this experience really made me relax