MD Stress Management Department (instead of Psychological Counseling)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tsunnami

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a member of the Student's Council in my Medical school.
Today we have the annual meeting in which anyone can come up with new ideas to implement in the school.
The administrative and bureaucratic part of the school is solved, there are plenty of departments for any administrative and financial problem that can occur in the university.

Thus I thought about creating something new that doesn't exist yet: stress management department - a department that is about the mental well-being of students.
In our country students don't use the free counseling of the school, this is a fact. Psychological problems have a strong negative stigma in our country (we are a European country) and people are very skeptical about talking to psychologists (don't even mention shrinks).

I think that such a department would be more approachable to anyone who has difficulties, who struggles with the workload, who gets overwhelmed by the pressure, than the typical psychological counseling, because students would actually have the courage to get involved in such a department, which would be composed of fellow students.
Open-minded communication and game-like approach would be used in tackling the problems that each student deals with. In this way, the whole thing wouldn't seem too heavy and too dry, which would scare most students away.

My questions are:
1. What do you think of this idea ?
2. Does your school has such a department ?
3. Was this idea ever proposed in your school ?
If yes, how did it work out ?
4. Do you have any suggestions that could increase the chances of the realization of this idea ?

Thanks and have a nice day !

Members don't see this ad.

Bonus points if it's ever available at a time when 3rd years could use it reliably...
"Use the counselours", they say. "Don't worry, they're totally available anytime between 9am and 3pm and need to be scheduled ahead of time. Oh, your rotation hours are 6am to 5pm and even though you sometimes get out early, it's never predictable in advance? I'm sure you'll make it work!"

Reactions: 1 users