Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't recall if I have introduced myself to this forum yet. I believe I may have started a few threads. Anyhow, straight to the point- I am a dentist and have a few neurologically related questions.
I had a patient with Parkinson's disease this morning. He needed to get a tooth pulled. He displayed the typical resting tremors (at the level of the hands only not in the head and neck area) which seemed to increase when he was under stress (when I gave him local anesthesia). He told me that L-dopa is not as effective as it used to be.
My questions :
How does one deal with the eventual ineffectiveness of L-dopa /carbidopa ?
How does one approach stress management in patients afflicted with Parkinson's disease?
Do patients afflicted with Parkinson's have a tendency to clench their teeth more? My patient complained about the clenching. Is it a side effect of the medications prescribed for Parkinson's?
I am particularly interested in the answers as I may possibly write up a research paper. The owner of the clinic I work at and the other associate (who has a lot of research experience), expressed their interest in publishing articles in the future. I am very excited of course!
References please, if possible.
Thanks, for any replies.
I had a patient with Parkinson's disease this morning. He needed to get a tooth pulled. He displayed the typical resting tremors (at the level of the hands only not in the head and neck area) which seemed to increase when he was under stress (when I gave him local anesthesia). He told me that L-dopa is not as effective as it used to be.
My questions :
How does one deal with the eventual ineffectiveness of L-dopa /carbidopa ?
How does one approach stress management in patients afflicted with Parkinson's disease?
Do patients afflicted with Parkinson's have a tendency to clench their teeth more? My patient complained about the clenching. Is it a side effect of the medications prescribed for Parkinson's?
I am particularly interested in the answers as I may possibly write up a research paper. The owner of the clinic I work at and the other associate (who has a lot of research experience), expressed their interest in publishing articles in the future. I am very excited of course!
References please, if possible.
Thanks, for any replies.