Stressed. I Need Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBSTX

kingly
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
from what i've read, everyone seems to be in their junior/senior yrs so u guys should be able to help.
I really need some advice. I would appreciate any advice from anyone with experience pertaining to any of my questions.

Alright. Heres the stuff...
I'm currently a freshman at a community college who's going to transfer to Texas A&M University after my sophomore year.
Im participating in their Pre Professional program in which they give u a scholarship and prep u on how to apply ect ect ect.
Im doing well on my bio and chems ect. Also im planning on interning pretty soon.

Here are my questions:
How badly will I get srutinized for completing my basic sciences at a community college? Hell, the sciences are not easy either, but I'm pulling As. How bad is a C in Organic scrutinized? (not that i want one!!!)

I'm not taking Calculus, but most pre-dent sites I go to mention it, but most schools dont have it up as a requirement. I just need finite 1 & 2 for poly sci.

how useful are KAPLAN courses (the expensive ones)? What is the absolute BEST way I can ensure a HIGH score on the DAT? personal tutor? ect? what?

My major is Political science (i like politics a lot)...how will this play into admissions? I keep hearing u can major in ne thing but how many lib arts majors r there as compared to bio majors??

Also, what does the typical applicant look like whos get accepted with just 3 yrs of undergrad under their belt? GPA? DAT? how good is this 3 yr undergrad applicant? Im considering doing this...

if i decide to claim credit for english, do dent schools calculate the ap score into ur avg for ur gpa? Im talking bout dent schools, not the unversities.

how bad does it look to apply more than once to the same school? (hypothetically i dont get in with just 3 yrs undergrad prep, but then i apply with a bachelors)

what do i essentially NEED to be a successful applicant with only 3 yrs of undergrad prep???

When dent schools mention "1 course in college math" what exactly are they refering to? calc? or what? or is it diff for diff schools?

also, considering i might take some upper level bios at A&M...how bad is it if I get like a B/C over there, yet my community coll. grades are in excellent shape (bio/chem/organ/phys).

thanks to anyone to replies. you guys are my heros!

:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

If you are getting A's in most of you classes I think a C in Ochem shouldn't hurt you, but be prepared to explain it. YOu can counter the C with a great score on the DAT. You should take a couple of quarters/semesters of math. Most schools would like calculus but any math is fine, I believe. You should major in something that interests you, and if it is political science go for it.

If you want to apply in three years you should have a 3.5 + very good DAT scores 20+ and good recommendations and ample experience in the dental setting.

AP scores will only count as Pass or No Pass for dental schools. If don't get into a program in three years then you can reapply but make sure you make changes when you reapply.

Take as many upper level classes as you can to impress the adcoms and to learn the stuff before you have to in dental school.

Sorry for the short replies, its late, but check your Private messages and I will try to answer more thoroughly.

Hope this helps for now.

DesiDentist

My understanding from the dean of admissions of my now defunct dental school is that "Columbia College (Chicago) is not Columbia University (New York)." Tenths of a point are added to or deducted from your GPA depending on your college. Strength of your program is also considered.

I was encouraged to apply after only 2 years of college but organic chemistry killed me and I needed more maturity. The strongest candidates do get in after 3 years and it will not hurt a further application when your B.S. is complete. Just don't screw up your DAT scores.

I got D's in the first two quarters of Organic Chem and took the third at a community college and got an "A." I took Stanley Kaplan for the DAT and highly recommend it. I imagine Princeton Review is just as good. It is only worth it if you take the time to study and take every practice test they have and go over the answers and explanations. I do not think it helped much with the PAT part. I did amazing well on the DAT except the PAT. I even got 78-90% on the Organic Chem!

Every interview I went on that my acceptance was in doubt I was always asked why my grades were mediocre and my DAT scores were so high. I told them that Northwestern U was a superior program.

Since you take the courses that are on DAT in the freshman and sophmore years there is no reason to delay taking it and applying to dental school.

thanks for the insight on this subject. if all goes well, ill be taking the dat exactly summer after next. and then applying. thanks again to u all. and gluck to those of u who applied.