stressed..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grey1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. So in two weeks my classes will start and I still haven't figured out my way out of the stress I have been carrying around for so long. Last semester I used to get these anxiety attacks and be stressed all the time and sitting in the classes had became inbarable for me. The reason for it.. Well I'm not sure if there is one, more like a couple.. But non of them can be eliminated or anything. So I wanted to know.. Is there something I can do to reduce this amount of stress and not being tachycardiac this often? Anybody has got any advice or experience on this.. Please share.
(By the way going to a doctor or a shrink to reduce my stress haven't worked out for me so far. So if you have anything on self managing it.. It'll be awesome.)

Members don't see this ad.

How can you be stressed without even doing anything

Reactions: 2 users
Well it's constant stress.. Most of the time, I have no reason for it whatsoever. I thought I have hyperthyroidism but I don't. So.. Yeah I can have stress even if I'm doing nothing!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry you're feeling this way. I know you said that you had sought professional help and that it hadn't worked out. Even so, I would still encourage you to search until you can find someone able to help you. Most schools have services for students who are going through things like you are; if you have fully explored them and been unable to find any relief, then you may want to go to your student health MD and get a referral to someone else. Whoever you see, do fully try whatever course of treatment they recommend before deciding whether or not it works for you. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Are you on any medication?

Maybe that's why going to a psychiatrist/psychologist hasn't helped you bc you aren't following their medical advice.
Do you have all the facts here to make that kind of conclusion? Have you watched "I am legend"? What do you think he had to do to overcome his fears which he had all along the film? He was all alone with a lot of fear surrounding him. Now based on that.. Assuming that I have to figure it out by myself.. Tell me what to do.

Do you have all the facts here to make that kind of conclusion? Have you watched "I am legend"? What do you think he had to do to overcome his fears which he had all along the film? He was all alone with a lot of fear surrounding him. Now based on that.. Assuming that I have to figure it out by myself.. Tell me what to do.
Based on what you've said so far: "Hey guys.. So in two weeks my classes will start and I still haven't figured out my way out of the stress I have been carrying around for so long. Last semester I used to get these anxiety attacks and be stressed all the time and sitting in the classes had became inbarable for me. The reason for it.. Well I'm not sure if there is one, more like a couple.. But non of them can be eliminated or anything. So I wanted to know.. Is there something I can do to reduce this amount of stress and not being tachycardiac this often? Anybody has got any advice or experience on this.. Please share."

You can't "self-manage" anxiety or depression. These are disorders that when not managed properly can be mentally incapacitating even resulting in suicide. They should be taken seriously.

Reactions: 3 users
I masturbate whenever I'm stressed and this isn't a joke.

Reactions: 6 users
Have you tried a low dose of propanolol to help with performance anxiety/quell your racing heart rate. I have friends that benefited from it dramatically. A lot of medical students suffer from a different type of anxiety since they are self-conscious about their thoughts about subject material around the constant prospect of intellectual scrutiny.

I find all of my best medical guidance comes from "I Am Legend".

Reactions: 16 users
Have you tried a low dose of propanolol to help with performance anxiety/quell your racing heart rate. I have friends that benefited from it dramatically. A lot of medical students suffer from a different type of anxiety since they are self-conscious about their thoughts about subject material around the constant prospect of intellectual scrutiny.
Yes I have. And that's when I discovered that it seems like the problem is in my mind cause it seemed like when my mind was still stressed or depressed even.. I did put my trust in others to help me with this but they didn't succeed so I decided that it's time for me to figure this out on my own.. This amount of constant stress.. I can't live this way forever.. This minimizes me. So.. I hope I figure it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to a psychiatrist, say " I have anxiety all day." They will take it from here.

Also the things you said!!!

I don't think the tachycardia is the problem. His anxious thoughts cause his heart to speed up.

Go to a psychiatrist, say " I have anxiety all day." They will take it from here.
I think I mentioned that I have already done that mate.. He was an idiot whom even diagnosed me incorrectly. So till I find a better one THAT I CAN PAY FOR, I'm on my own for now.

I think I mentioned that I have already done that mate.. He was an idiot whom even diagnosed me incorrectly. So till I find a better one THAT I CAN PAY FOR, I'm on my own for now.

Ok so after anxiety treating medicine, you still had anxiety? That would be something you'd communicate with the psychiatrist, who would give you something stronger or that works through a different mechanism. Medicine isn't binary, if what a doctor tries first time doesn't work, it's not like they're incompetent and you shouldn't see them again. I could see the argument if you've tried 10 different drugs but come on. You say it's so debilitating and then give up nearly as soon as possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys.. So in two weeks my classes will start and I still haven't figured out my way out of the stress I have been carrying around for so long. Last semester I used to get these anxiety attacks and be stressed all the time and sitting in the classes had became inbarable for me. The reason for it.. Well I'm not sure if there is one, more like a couple.. But non of them can be eliminated or anything. So I wanted to know.. Is there something I can do to reduce this amount of stress and not being tachycardiac this often? Anybody has got any advice or experience on this.. Please share.
(By the way going to a doctor or a shrink to reduce my stress haven't worked out for me so far. So if you have anything on self managing it.. It'll be awesome.)
Not completely sure what the causes of your anxiety are but I've struggled with similar anxiety issues in MS1, had trouble concentrating in class, felt like my stomach would get upset and my heartbeat sped up a bit. It's not fun and makes med school seem impossible.

Self management things that worked for me, it was having good friends to talk to and spend time with. If I got that way, being with good friends brought me back to reality and got me out of my head. While studying, things like music can also help with that. A friend who struggled with anxiety problems also recommended running every day so you might give that a try.

Also, have you seen multiple therapists or just one? I say this because therapists can vary, some you will not click with and will be of no help, but you might find one that fits your needs well and you feel better with. Sometimes, these things are hard to manage by yourself, and I would encourage you keep trying with finding a therapist or psychiatrist that suits you well. Lastly, have you seen your physician about this? They may recommend medication of some kind once they assess you.

Best of luck OP

Ok so after anxiety treating medicine, you still had anxiety? That would be something you'd communicate with the psychiatrist, who would give you something stronger or that works through a different mechanism. Medicine isn't binary, if what a doctor tries first time doesn't work, it's not like they're incompetent and you shouldn't see them again. I could see the argument if you've tried 10 different drugs but come on. You say it's so debilitating and then give up nearly as soon as possible.
Come on.. I know medicine.. I am living medicine.. What I am saying is that currently I can't pay to see a psychiatrist.. I don't have the money.. (Actually I didn't want to say it like that!!!) And I also don't want to sit and do nothing for now.. So.. I am trying to see if there is an other way to it. Although drugs have side effects and especially since I should get strong doses there will be side effects like making me sleepy and so on, but if it stays for the next month or so.. I will most probably go back to taking medication for it. My circumstances are complicated. I also should go back to a class where there is the person who broke my heart and to a city where I don't want to be in.. So things are complicated. But I'm not running from anything. So don't be mistaken. I'm trying to solve all of these.

Come on.. I know medicine.. I am living medicine.. What I am saying is that currently I can't pay to see a psychiatrist.. I don't have the money.. (Actually I didn't want to say it like that!!!) And I also don't want to sit and do nothing for now.. So.. I am trying to see if there is an other way to it. Although drugs have side effects and especially since I should get strong doses there will be side effects like making me sleepy and so on, but if it stays for the next month or so.. I will most probably go back to taking medication for it. My circumstances are complicated. I also should go back to a class where there is the person who broke my heart and to a city where I don't want to be in.. So things are complicated. But I'm not running from anything. So don't be mistaken. I'm trying to solve all of these.
You don't pay for a psychiatrist. Insurance does. Your circumstances are complicated - all the more reason to not go about it alone. But you're going to do what you want to do regardless of what any of us say.

Many med schools offer free counseling services and the may even cover meds if you have the student insurance. That may be an option worth looking into.

It's tough but keep at it, and like DermViser said, don't go it alone. Look to supportive friends and family if nothing else.

Reactions: 1 users
When did "I'm starting M1 in a few weeks" become "I'm living medicine"?

Reactions: 4 users
Not completely sure what the causes of your anxiety are but I've struggled with similar anxiety issues in MS1, had trouble concentrating in class, felt like my stomach would get upset and my heartbeat sped up a bit. It's not fun and makes med school seem impossible.

Self management things, for it was having good friends to talk to and spend time with. If I got that way, being with good friends brought me back to reality and got me out of my head. While studying, things like music and also help with that. A friend who struggled with anxiety problems also recommended running every day so you might give that a try.

Also, have you seen multiple therapists or just one? I say this because therapists vary, some you will not click with and will be of no help, but you might find one that fits your needs well and you feel better with.

Best of luck OP
Hi.. Thanks for your reply. :) I have seen a couple. There is this psychologist that I bonded with really good but I feel like she doesn't take what's going on that seriously and recently I feel like that's not much of a help anymore. Others... Not so much. Yeah running is good. I try to work out more often recently so I guess that's good. And... Unfortunately I don't have good friends right now in my life... Everybody has moved other places and my classmates... They aren't my type of people or people to rely on in general... So yeah... That could have been awesome if I had any good friends right now, but I don't and I don't have the time to search for new ones.

Hi.. Thanks for your reply. :) I have seen a couple. There is this psychologist that I bonded with really good but I feel like she doesn't take what's going on that seriously and recently I feel like that's not much of a help anymore. Others... Not so much. Yeah running is good. I try to work out more often recently so I guess that's good. And... Unfortunately I don't have good friends right now in my life... Everybody has moved other places and my classmates... They aren't my type of people or people to rely on in general... So yeah... That could have been awesome if I had any good friends right now, but I don't and I don't have the time to search for new ones.
No problem! I've wrestled with anxiety in the past, so I understand it can be tough.

That's good you tried seeing therapists. Sorry to hear they didn't work out. Despite that, I would personally encourage you to keep trying to seek help once you have the resources to do so. If it's a legit anxiety problem, it's worth having the proper professional help dealing with it. Like any other ailment, you need professionals to help you manage it.

And keep up the exercise. As far as friends, I wasn't close to anyone in the area when I moved out for med school. If you don't have the time to form bonds with people near you (although I think it's worth trying to get out there), perhaps you could try calling old friends and family on a regular basis. That helped me a lot last year. I regularly talked to my close friends from college and called home whenever I could.

Just my 2 cents from someone who's been through it. I think a professional or family/friends that know you will be a better resource than an online forum. We don't know your circumstances as well as they do.

Last edited:
No problem! I've wrestled with anxiety in the past, so I understand it can be tough.

That's good you tried seeing therapists. Sorry to hear they didn't work out. Despite that, I would personally encourage you to keep trying to seek help once you have the resources to do so. If it's a legit anxiety problem, it's worth having the proper professional help dealing with it. Like any other ailment, you need professionals to help you manage it.

And keep up the exercise. As far as friends, I wasn't close to anyone in the area when I moved out for med school. If you don't have the time to form bonds with people near you (although I think it's worth trying to get out there), perhaps you could try calling old friends and family on a regular basis. That helped me a lot last year. I regularly talked to my close friends from college and called home whenever I could.

Just my 2 cents from someone who's been through it. I think a professional or family/friends that know you will be a better resource than an online forum. We don't know your circumstances as well as they do.
Yeah you are totally right. I keep these in mind. Thanks. :)

When did I say I'm starting M1 in a few weeks?!
You said your classes start in a few weeks, which I took to mean you're an incoming M1. I apologize if I was incorrect.

If you live medicine you should know what to do. If you aren't happy with your psychiatrist or their treatment, change doctors. Anxiety is something tough to deal with and treat, keep exploring options.

I wish you all the best in the upcoming year

Go and see a PsychIATRIST, NOT a PsychOLOGIST. Get a referral from your PCP if necessary.

Let them know that you've been feeling really anxious all the time w/o concrete triggers.

A basic anxiety medication regimen would be like so:
1. Start propranolol+Ativan for acute attacks.
2. Begin an SSRI for long-term management.
3. Slowly watch the SSRI take effect, and drop off the propranolol+Ativan.
4. Try and work in some CBT through this process to address some of the thought patterns exacerbating the anxiety.

Profit.

Don't you guys think its irresponsible to diagnose the OP based off his post? You can say, well, he is a grown up he can go to the doctor and the doctor will figure it out. True..

But, you have a person thats in med school that is feeling extreme anxiety, so he looks up the drug/disease you describe and starts reading the symptoms (whether they may be there or not) and then becomes convinced he has said disease or the disease the drug treats. Then he goes to the physician and starts popping off symptoms he memorized after convincing himself he has such disorders and the physician perscribes the drugs, when in reality he could just have a mild version of anxiety that he's over-analyzing, because these are med students with Type A personalities, and ends up taking medicine he doesn't need and could better have been help with behavioral therapy.

Stop falling into the cliche of diagnosing your classmates.

Don't you guys think its irresponsible to diagnose the OP based off his post? You can say, well, he is a grown up he can go to the doctor and the doctor will figure it out. True..

But, you have a person thats in med school that is feeling extreme anxiety, so he looks up the drug/disease you describe and starts reading the symptoms (whether they may be there or not) and then becomes convinced he has said disease or the disease the drug treats. Then he goes to the physician and starts popping off symptoms he memorized after convincing himself he has such disorders and the physician perscribes the drugs, when in reality he could just have a mild version of anxiety that he's over-analyzing, because these are med students with Type A personalities, and ends up taking medicine he doesn't need and could better have been help with behavioral therapy.

Which is what literally every other patient in the world does, besides medical students, therefore physicians aren't just like " oh you think you have XYZ, here's the treatment for that." Give attendings a little more credit than that.

Hypothesis: if you type with >2 ellipses per five thousand words, you're the kind of person who will not succeed in medical school.

If you think psychiatrists are that stupid, you're giving them way too little credit. They are not potted plants.

If you think psychiatrists are that stupid, you're giving them way too little credit. They are not potted plants.
I don't think that's what he really meant... The best doctors know the pathologies. Not that I'm opposing to anything but it's my belief that there are times when medication can't do anything and that's when pathology comes into play. They say medicine ain't exact science. I believe that it is, we just haven't figured it out yet. That being said, rejecting everything is just naive and stupid. I hope this clears it up.

Hi there, I'm wondering what your activity levels are like on a day to day basis? I've always had more of an anxious personality type too..and I've noticed that running, walking at a brisk pace, weight training, doing any sort of cardio at the gym...all that stuff has been phenomenal for me in terms of keeping the stress levels and anxiety at bay. If you're not getting hardcore exercise 3-4x a week, you're doing yourself a slight disservice IMO. Whoever posted on masturbation was onto something there. :)

Also, make sure you're eating well and getting all the appropriate nutrients and vitamins. Vitamin B complex and magnesium tend to have calming, relaxing effects. I take that, a multivitamin, and omega 3's pretty much every day.

Besides your activity levels, I was also curious about what's on your mind/what is it that you believe is making you anxious. Is it the day to day stuff, is it concerns about the future.., etc? Feel free to PM me if you like.

Best of luck to you and really hope that you are able to start feeling more normal soon!! *hugs*

Last edited:
I just want to toss my thought out there and agree you should be really being seeing a psychiatrist (preferably a psychologist as well). It seems like you need meds to help with the anxiety so that you can function better. There is no way you don't have insurance so I'm not sure what exactly you mean by not being able to pay for it.

Also about masturbating: totally works.

I'm a bit similar situation to the OP. I find that masturbating does work, but for me, I have a different issue.

After, I masturbate, I get this intense headache and I'm not good for the next 24 hours. I feel so tired and I just want to close my eyes and rest. It may be underlying sleep deprivation, but I totally find my productivity declines after masturbating.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same experience?

I'm a bit similar situation to the OP. I find that masturbating does work, but for me, I have a different issue.

After, I masturbate, I get this intense headache and I'm not good for the next 24 hours. I feel so tired and I just want to close my eyes and rest. It may be underlying sleep deprivation, but I totally find my productivity declines after masturbating.

Maybe you're going at it way too hard? Is it like a migraine headache? Not shocking that your productivity would decrease afterwards. Are there other activities you do that help you in terms of stress and energy?

Finally! Something that I'm an expert at.

I get really sleepy after I masturbate, I wonder if it's due to some kind of hormonal response. I've had to cut these out of my study breaks because I wouldn't be able to resist laying down for an hour or two afterwards.

Yes, its quite troublesome. I need to study and get work done. I think the urge to masturbate has to do with our societies view on physical appearance. We idealize people based on their physical characteristics when in reality these things will diminish with time.

Enough of that however, I've been doing this for a while and I really want to stop. I was wondering if you guys had ways to get rid of the urge? I was thinking about seeing a urologist to potentially sever nerve supply to the cavernous muscle. I am that serious.

I have no desire to have children nor do I want to waste time having sex. I just want to study, do well on clinical rotations, and be a good contribution to society.

I'm being totally serious here. The way I feel after masturbating is simply unnerving. My cognitive abilities and motor skills get quite impaired, this is not a good thing of a 25 year old male who will be holding lives in his hands in a few years come intern year.

Dear god... psychiatry is so damn frustrating lmao.

I mean when it comes to the patient base.
Is anxiety and depression really anymore "frustrating" than high blood sugars and high blood pressure? The only difference is one is objectively quantifiable and one really isn't. Unless you're referring to the demeanor of patients.

I did try excedrin over the counter for the headache and it gives me relief for 2 hours. However, I am only able to regenerate my productivity a full 24 hours after the masturbation activity.