I feel stressed about finding someone to be in a relationship during this coronavirus pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousMDStudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're going to comment something, please recognize this is a sensitive topic for me and I'm being vulnerable here so please go easy on me. I recognize this is an unconventional question and I feel some people will make fun of me for this but I want perspectives from other medical students or healthcare professionals and I don't have anywhere else to go so here I go:

All throughout college, I never really pursued a relationship because of the fact that medical school was the goal for me. I felt that getting into medical school was this ridiculously difficult feat and so I had this mentality that if I didn't put 100% into getting into medical school, I wouldn't get in.

This caused me to forego certain opportunities at relationships as I was afraid of ending up in a long-distance relationship or getting my heart broken and my academics being affected due to that. I ended up getting into medical school but now I look around me and I question my life choices. I'm a guy and I'm 22 but I feel so lonely and behind (on life) in medical school. A good portion of my class is already in relationships with people they met in college or during their gap years and seem so happy. A decent amount of people are already engaged and married!

The plan was always that I'd go to med school and find someone but now that this CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC IS HERE. I feel like I'm never going to find someone since I can't even meet classmates. People estimate that this could even go past December or January and could last another year or two. Some of my classmates are talking about how they're dm'ing classmates or meeting classmates on online dating apps but I don't really know how to do that. I really like to get to know people first and see if there's something there. Hence why I'm stressed since I feel like I'm so behind on this aspect of my life and feel it's so much harder to succeed in it with this pandemic.

Students have been organizing mini social distanced social events and those have been decent but there are so few that are planned and only a few people attend and we're so far apart from each other during events that it's hard to talk and get to know people.

I tell myself a lot: I came to medical school to be a doctor and there's not a lot I can do about relationships so I should go study since that's why I'm here. However, I literally tell myself this for 5 minutes. then study for 20 minutes. And then I get stressed about relationships again.

I don't know. Maybe I just need Goro to yell at me and tell me to study and stop worrying about stuff I can't control lol.

tl;dr: I feel distracted and stressed since so many people in my class seem to already be in happy relationships and with coronavirus, Idk if I will ever find anybody.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Bro, I understand where you're coming from. The "Game" can be tough.

But listen, don't harp on the "lost" years. They're already behind you. Focus on what you can now. Studying all day everyday isn't going to net you some big reward - at some point, studying turns into diminishing returns. You got to find where that point is for you, and then go socialize. Go to bars, go to parties, make friends, get outside your comfort zone, and enjoy your life. If you're interested in talking to women, then literally go talk to them - even if that is online on an app or through texting or whatever. I don't think Goro would come in here and tell you to study your life away either.

The coronavirus pandemic isn't going to be around fo 3 years. I honestly wouldn't even say its going to be around much longer. Almost every other country has returned to normal. The US is the third largest country by size AND population (Canada and Russia being larger but with a lot less people), so its taken us a little longer to get things under control.

OP, I'm sorry you've been feeling this way. I'm curious...do you have a good group of friends? I mean a core group of people you can really be yourself around, that you have commonalities with (aside from school), and who see things the way you do. I think having a good group of friends might benefit you just as much as a relationship. Especially during these trying times, having friends will only help you cope and avoid burning out. And you never know...those people might just be the ones to introduce you to "their friend that is single and would be perfect for you." Join some of your school's student interest groups, work at the free clinic, go to optional events, try things you think you might enjoy, etc. Try to put yourself out there and meet people without having any preconceived expectations of what your relationship with them needs to become. I've met some of my best friends (including girls) by just being myself and following my own interests.

I know it seems like you're falling behind, but trust me--YOU AREN'T! I'm an almost 27 year old guy, a first year, and I met my girlfriend almost 3 years ago on my last day of college right before a final exam. 2.5 years of long distance later and we now live together. It probably doesn't feel like it to you, but you're still very young. Most people your age are going to bars, parties, traveling, and working internships if they're working at all. Pursuing medicine at a younger age requires sacrificing being able to live a lifestyle like that. With that being said, your studies don't need to consume every second of your life. I still managed to see my friends once earlier this week and have plans for one day off this weekend.

Finally, I wanted to remind you that your schools counseling center can also address these kinds of feelings. I promise you that you're not the first person to feel this way, especially with COVID putting a massive damper on all things social. If these feelings persist (and it sounds like they really are starting to), don't forget that they're always ready to listen to you and can help you.

I hope things work out for you! PM me if you want to chat more.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m 25 and single. I wish I could be 22 and single :(

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Only you can decided if a relationship is worth a (potential) hit to your career - though it sounds like staying single is taking its own toll.

Personally, I don't perceive the difference between a 'good' and 'great' career to be worth neglecting all other parts of life.

• Hmm
Even though dating in the age of COVID is different, it's certainly not impossible. I have several friends who have begun relationships during the age of coronavirus. They've had to rely more heavily on apps, since spontaneously meeting new people is a bit harder, but still very doable. And don't forget, the app is just a way to facilitate a meeting, and it's still very possible that an on-app connection can quickly turn into an in-person one (keeping in mind COVID precautions, of course.)

Medical school is important but it's only one part of your life, and your personal life shouldn't have to pause because of school. Once you figure out a good rhythm for studying, you can figure out how to work in socializing and dating. If dating is something that's important to you, prioritize it. Set aside time and money for it, even if it's at a slight expense of studying.

The wonderful thing about life is there are a LOT of people out there who feel just like you and are afraid to speak up. Throw your own party for single people. I promise you there are people in your class right now who are quietly suffering from the same emotions.

I think "good" relationships, even ones that require energy and effort in their infancy, will help revitalize and motivate you and may improve your performance in med school. So desiring and pursuing someone in medical school, IMO, is part of some people's journey. But you are struggling with some loneliness, maybe mild anxiety or depression. Hypothetically, if you work hard at it find and relationship right now, when that loneliness goes away (because it will someday soon), you will change so much about your desires, your habits, your personality. You might find that person you desired when you were lonely was really only that, someone to keep you from feeling like you are missing out. Not someone you actually connect with. I'm not saying that is a for sure thing, but it happens. When you approach social interactions from the mindset that you are trying to escape loneliness or make up for missed opportunities, IMO, you aren't being true to your actual desires in who you'd want to partner with.

My advice- have fun. Learn to laugh at this cosmically bizarre period of history that you are living through. I do think that hobbies help a lot. You said you like to get to know someone before you date them, which I think is great. So get to know someone through a hobby, sport, interest. Maybe that can't happen now with COVID, so try new things by yourself, broaden those interests and hobbies while your alone. While remembering that this could be the thing that introduces you to your future partner.

And remember that the people (or types of people) you are attracted to now, will still be attractive in a year or in ten years. You won't miss out on love because you waited to find it. If your in the US, then you may be aware how much our culture brainwashes us to worship youth. Everything we see and hear is exaggerating the value and beauty of young love. Its all a lie man.

I spent the "best years" of my life in the military (18-23, when most go to college, party, date, fall in love). We were overseas for years, in locations where the male to female ratio of US service members was like 63:1. Those really were some of the best, and least romantic/sexual years of my life. And although I watched all my friends back home meet someone, or multiple people, get married, start thinking about families, I would not change anything about the things I missed out on.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to comment something, please recognize this is a sensitive topic for me and I'm being vulnerable here so please go easy on me. I recognize this is an unconventional question and I feel some people will make fun of me for this but I want perspectives from other medical students or healthcare professionals and I don't have anywhere else to go so here I go:

All throughout college, I never really pursued a relationship because of the fact that medical school was the goal for me. I felt that getting into medical school was this ridiculously difficult feat and so I had this mentality that if I didn't put 100% into getting into medical school, I wouldn't get in.

This caused me to forego certain opportunities at relationships as I was afraid of ending up in a long-distance relationship or getting my heart broken and my academics being affected due to that. I ended up getting into medical school but now I look around me and I question my life choices. I'm a guy and I'm 22 but I feel so lonely and behind (on life) in medical school. A good portion of my class is already in relationships with people they met in college or during their gap years and seem so happy. A decent amount of people are already engaged and married!

The plan was always that I'd go to med school and find someone but now that this CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC IS HERE. I feel like I'm never going to find someone since I can't even meet classmates. People estimate that this could even go past December or January and could last another year or two. Some of my classmates are talking about how they're dm'ing classmates or meeting classmates on online dating apps but I don't really know how to do that. I really like to get to know people first and see if there's something there. Hence why I'm stressed since I feel like I'm so behind on this aspect of my life and feel it's so much harder to succeed in it with this pandemic.

Students have been organizing mini social distanced social events and those have been decent but there are so few that are planned and only a few people attend and we're so far apart from each other during events that it's hard to talk and get to know people.

I tell myself a lot: I came to medical school to be a doctor and there's not a lot I can do about relationships so I should go study since that's why I'm here. However, I literally tell myself this for 5 minutes. then study for 20 minutes. And then I get stressed about relationships again.

I don't know. Maybe I just need Goro to yell at me and tell me to study and stop worrying about stuff I can't control lol.

tl;dr: I feel distracted and stressed since so many people in my class seem to already be in happy relationships and with coronavirus, Idk if I will ever find anybody.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Dude worrying about being 22 and single is like complaining about being 12 and not knowing how to drive. You’re fine, you’ll be young and dateable for a long time.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
If you're going to keep letting potential geographic displacement get in your way....that's a very long road. You're going to have to move for college, med school, residency, potentially fellowship, and then for work (probably with multiple moves after that). There's literally always the possibility that you're going to move so like...why let it control your life? I'm not implying you should be like me and move every 12-18 months but like...don't let medium-term geographic instability ruin your life.

Dating during covid is annoying but not fatal. Can def still meet people/have decent conversations/see if there's anything there. Plus given the millennial/Gen Z predilection to apps, this isn't that bad. You're also a first semester M1 (I think), so its going to take time to actually feel people out (generally I'd say a 6-month bedding-in period for moving within the US). Give it time and just appreciate your classmates for what they are for now.

Also maybe don't live your life so comparatively. There will always be someone who is smarter, richer, healthier, fitter, etc etc than you. Comparative mindset now leads to mid-life crisis later, so just make sure you're doing the best for where you're at.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel your pain but don’t sweat it. I was 22 and in Med school when I got my first serious relationship, 10 years later I found someone to marry, but I was like you feeling like I lost out. It’s hard now with the pandemic but now you have all these apps to help, honestly it’s a bit of a blessing in disguise because you can meet someone digitally go on some virtual dates and not have that physical contact thing driving your decision making because that often leads people on paths of bad relationships. This is jus my personal opinion and not neceSarilly something that will work for you, but taking a more passive and relaxed approach might help calm you. Know that generally there is someone for everyone and just download bumble or Hinge or Grindr or some other app or all the apps and See what comes of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pursue self improvement and put yourself out there. You're already doing a lot professionally - so that doesn't need any work. Focus on maximizing your appearance (nice hair cut, good clothes, cologne, clear skin, good build, etc.). Then put yourself out there as much as possible. It'll eventually work out.

You need to quit comparing your life to the lives of others. There is no upper age limit for finding meaningful relationships. If you were a woman, I could perhaps understand your worry from a biological clock standpoint (though even that would be premature at your age). You can either try to meet people virtually, or engage in whatever socially distanced activity options are in your area. Or you could just wait it out. Whatever you decide on you probably need some mental health help if this worry is intrusive to the degree you describe.

If you just want to find people to go on dates with, then I will refer you to "Osminog's quick-and-dirty guide to finding dates as a male medical student during a pandemic": Install Tinder. Photo 1: white coat, Photo 2: smiling and playing with dog, Photo 3: engaged in athletic activity, Photo 4: group photo with good-looking friends. Bio: a goofy but memorable joke about you. Swipe right unless there's a very compelling reason not to (e.g., swastika tattoo on forehead).

If you want high-quality dates, or you want a long-term, meaningful relationship... well, there's no "quick-and-dirty guide" for that. Maybe a date you find one day through Osminog's guide will lead to something more. Or maybe it won't. This is one of those things that takes time. Fortunately for you, time is something you still have plenty of.

Also, you don't have to go out of your way to date classmates. Medical students can be ****ing nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

These people are also older than you.

I noticed how so many of my classmates were in relationships and then i remembered many of them are like 6-10 years older

How’s my bio? :
All I've ever wanted in life was that blonde haired, blue eyed sorority girl. All she has ever wanted has been Chad the 6'2 dude with a 260 and top tier Ortho residency.
With matching profile pic

37224eb~4.jpg

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
If it makes ya'll feel better, it usually just ends at 6'2 Chad (who is otherwise average) and not chad the orthopod. In other words, I don't see the ortho guys killing it just cause they're ortho.

Yeah, I really have no part to play in this discussion, I just wanted to post that meme

Reactions: 1 users
If it makes ya'll feel better, it usually just ends at 6'2 Chad (who is otherwise average) and not chad the orthopod. In other words, I don't see the ortho guys killing it just cause they're ortho.

Just like @slowthai , except I just wanted to post that quote

Hey OP- I totally feel your pain. I’m 25, and have never been in a relationship. Although I admit I am very social, I have moved far away from friends/family and dating is a huge priority for me. All I have to say is don’t give up on the apps.

Before moving, I finally met someone during COVID on hinge a few months before school. He was everything I have ever wanted (I’m gay, and unfortunately only attracted to a certain type of guy). For a brief moment, I felt happy for the first time in my life. However, I had to move for school, and it still is incredibly painful. I think about it every single day. I say this to tell you that your concerns with moving are valid, and are just a part of the reality. BUT you gotta keep trying with the apps. I literally use three of them (hinge, bumble, and tinder) and hit them hard every single day like it’s my second anki.

If it could work for me once, someone who is attracted to .0001% of the already slim gay dating pool, it can work for you ten times. Don’t give up. Just work on yourself (go to the gym, get haircuts as often as you can, etc) and you WILL find someone. I wish you the best.

• Care
I'm about to turn 40 and am at the tail end of my second divorce that hasn't been finalized just yet. I have no children, so I feel your pain. Going back into the dating world during a pandemic, and really wanting to have a family of my own. I'm just hoping to not be that "creepy old dude" but my soon to be ex-wife refused to have children after 35. So now my target demographic will have to be late 20s, early 30s so that I don't run into this situation again.

• Hmm
I'm about to turn 40 and am at the tail end of my second divorce that hasn't been finalized just yet. I have no children, so I feel your pain. Going back into the dating world during a pandemic, and really wanting to have a family of my own. I'm just hoping to not be that "creepy old dude" but my soon to be ex-wife refused to have children after 35. So now my target demographic will have to be late 20s, early 30s so that I don't run into this situation again.
Seems like that was a discussion that you should have had before marriage.

Sounds like it was a dealbreaker for you so it just makes me wonder why you would proceed with marriage in that situation.

Because it never (at first) seemed like it wouldn't actually happen. It was a major reason we were together in the first place - to start a family - we were both very much on board... until she started waffling back and forth every other month as to whether or not she even wanted one. Then once she hit 35, whoops, too late for a child!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Because it never (at first) seemed like it wouldn't actually happen. It was a major reason we were together in the first place - to start a family - we were both very much on board... until she started waffling back and forth every other month as to whether or not she even wanted one. Then once she his 35, whoops, too late for a child!

Could it be that she was having concerns about the marriage and wasn't sure if she wanted a kid in that situation? I feel like most people tend to get more desperate over time (especially if > 35) to have kids rather than give up altogether.

OP is 22. Most men are marrying later and later. You are fine.

As for ValX, I can't speak from experience, but I think there are probably a lot of women in their 30's who want kids but haven't found a partner? Moreso than men anyway.

OP is 22. Most men are marrying later and later. You are fine.

As for ValX, I can't speak from experience, but I think there are probably a lot of women in their 30's who want kids but haven't found a partner? Moreso than men anyway.
There are far more single women by choice than single men by choice. And people do tend to meet their partners at younger ages and not at like age 28 (majority anyways).
And most quality women are with someone.

• Dislike
  • Sad
Could it be that she was having concerns about the marriage and wasn't sure if she wanted a kid in that situation? I feel like most people tend to get more desperate over time (especially if > 35) to have kids rather than give up altogether.
Attitudes also change. I wanted nothing more than a family when i was younger. Im now on the edge of 30 and not convinced I want kids at all anymore.

How does everyone feel about hookup culture?

@OP I feel more depressed that my roommates get along better with each other, granted, I usually don't like going out to just drink. I don't mind going out, however, after a test I reset by having some alone time. Besides living with my roommates, with covid going on, I sit alone at my computer mashing space bar. It's only been 3 weeks since the start of school though.

How does everyone feel about hookup culture?

@OP I feel more depressed that my roommates get along better with each other, granted, I usually don't like going out to just drink. I don't mind going out, however, after a test I reset by having some alone time. Besides living with my roommates, with covid going on, I sit alone at my computer mashing space bar. It's only been 3 weeks since the start of school though.
what about hookup culture?

what about hookup culture?
Like/dislike, do you think it inhibits/catalyzes finding a proper relationship with a member of the opposite sex? Is it ok for boys to huddle together in groups, scroll through classmate's images on social, and discuss their targets for hanky-panky? I've also seen successful relationships begin with hooking up though. To be clear, I'm all for sexual freedom, but when does it get creepy?

• Angry
Why are you limiting your dating pool to med students? Go join sports clubs or any other club your interested in. I can promise you organizing dates doesn't work; from my experience all my long term relationships have been natural in their formation, there was no 'omg lets go on a date' etc it just happened somehow. Do the things you love (not just medicine) and you should meet someone you love.I met my ex at the running track I asked her to time me and it all started from there, my current one I met at a food festival we were both there for the free samples.

You can't plan this ****, it comes when you least expect it and just happens.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Like/dislike, do you think it inhibits/catalyzes finding a proper relationship with a member of the opposite sex? Is it ok for boys to huddle together in groups, scroll through classmate's images on social, and discuss their targets for hanky-panky? I've also seen successful relationships begin with hooking up though. To be clear, I'm all for sexual freedom, but when does it get creepy?
To each their own. Do you have extensive exp hooking up? I feel like those questions are easily answered through personal experiences.
Not sure if it personally helps you find someone or not. But if you're capable of hooking up a lot, you will be capable of finding someone to date.

When does it get creepy? When your advances are unwanted.

Could be. Although based off of our conversations I feel like she had a slightly more selfish reason behind changing her mind. She had a child at 18 and never got to have the typical single young person lifestyle. I did. So as her kid/my step-kid approached 18, the possibility of not having that responsibility 24/7 became more and more appealing to her. Travelling became more appealing. Mind you, over the last few years I've taken her all over the world. Caribbean, Europe, pacific islands. I pointed out to her that our opportunity to safely have a child only had a few more years, whereas the world and traveling would always be there. Either way, I respected her decision and was willing to live a life without a biological child of my own. At any rate, I'm not here to discuss the circumstances or depths of my marriage. I was simply pointing out that in the future I would most likely go for a woman who wouldn't put a specific time limit on possibly having a child.

As age goes up --> options shrink.

As age goes up --> options shrink.

Not in my experience. I met my wife when I was 29. The relationships I had in my late 20s and the women I know now who are in their late 20s or in their 30s are way more interesting and mature than anyone I dated at 22. Which has obvious reasons, but this isn’t like some kind of game where you have to act sooner because the good partners are removed from the pool at some given rate.

And remember, someone who is perfect for you might be a terrible match for me.

chad...

How about Gigachad

Not in my experience. I met my wife when I was 29. The relationships I had in my late 20s and the women I know now who are in their late 20s or in their 30s are way more interesting and mature than anyone I dated at 22. Which has obvious reasons, but this isn’t like some kind of game where you have to act sooner because the good partners are removed from the pool at some given rate.

And remember, someone who is perfect for you might be a terrible match for me.
I'm talking about the population as a whole. Of course there'll be some exceptions.

I'm talking about the population as a whole. Of course there'll be some exceptions.

From my teens to my mid twenties (now), dating has gotten significantly easier. Most men I’m friends with have had the same experience.

Last edited:

I think it catalyzes the relationship usually. I also think people with different positions on that are not likely to get together because in my experience it reflects deeper beliefs etc that make people less likely to associate In the first place. I don’t think its creepy or that it’s any different from behaving similarly outside of med school/with people who aren’t in school...it’s just a little higher stakes to be respectful or end up looking like a huge tool if not done correctly/in moderation when it comes to ”discussing...targets for hanky-panky.”

From my teens to my mid twenties (now), dating has gotten significantly easier. Most men I’m friends with have had the same experience.
Teenage years are tough for a lot of guys. Improving from that point isn't unusual.

Not trying to flex but I think I might have a new bf...

That was fast. o_O

I'll update in about 3 months when it inevitably ends like all my relationships do