stressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemcnei2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, i graduated from a prestigous undergraduate college with a gpa of 2.756. I know it sucks and hurts really bad because i think its standing in the way of what i really want to do. I am currently enrolled in post bacc program and i am working my little a** off. Studying night and day, so far so good. This week i almost cried because i made a 85 on a quiz.....cuz i just know i gotta make As. I am so stressed because i know i gotta make straight As to make up for my undergrad. I had trouble adjusting from my high school to my college, and my gpa suffered, not that is any excuse. i am trying to fit as many science classes in , take my prerequisites over, and bring my gpa up to a 3.1 by the end of the year to apply to dental school next fall. I am currently doing hands on work in a local dental clinic. What else can i do to ensure that i get into a dental school? My top choice is a really good school, and my bottom choices are Howard and Meharry ( if no one else takes me).
I dont know if anyone out there has been through what i have been through but I am trying to go against the force pulling me downward away from dentistry. My family has terrible credit, are extremely poor, and I am trying to work my way up the ladder to do what i want to do. I just feel like money always gets in the way. In undergrad i had to work 2 jobs to pay for college and etc. I mean it was like, if i didn't work and i ran out of money, i simply didn't eat at all. ( i went without food for a week once)
I keep this picture in mind of what i want to do, but i keep thinking of how in the world am i going to pay for this and will i even get into school.
I feel like i have no one to give me advise because my parents never went to college, my siblings dropped out of high school. No one in my family understands what i am going through right now.
The reason i want to go into dentistry is because 1. i want to deal with the low income population and provide dental care to them at reduced costs. ( i have a plan for this). 2. I want to be the first to make a legacy in my family, graduate from a dental school and show others that were in my situation how to do the same 3. I love it..........i love going to the clinic and working along side my dentist.
Please someone give me more pointers that i can do to become a competitive candidate. Maybe some summer research opportunites? Has anyone gotten into dental school with a lower gpa.....and what other things did you do to make up for your gpa in your application??? Where did you apply? I need all the help i can get.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, there should be some academic or social counselors to help you through this available to you for free on your campus. They're the professionals.

That being said, if you can get your GPA up to at least a 3.0, do tremendous shadowing and volunteering, it might make up.

I would give those bottom choices more of a chance. There have been people who have been admitted into dental school with a low GPA before, so it's not unheard of.

Anyway, welcome to the site and browse around the threads. Make use of the search bar.

Good luck.

Sounds like you want to go to dental school for many good reasons. Just keep working hard and I'm sure you will get a chance at some schools.
Like Near said, there have been a lot of people that got in with low GPA. You should check out the predents site. Get community service, research, and everything else that might make your application look good. Have you taken the DAT?
well good luck on your post bac and applying next year. I will also be applying next summer.

Hey man,
Read your post, and hope I can be of some help. First of all, if you get your GPA to above 3.0 I think thats good enough for dental school. I got in with a 3.12 from my undergrad. Study hard for the DATs, and 20+ across the board should be solid. As for the application process, I think this is where you can share you story and desire to become a dentist. I know a lot of schools likes to give interviews, and pick from a big pool. ASDOH i went this year only picks 1/7 of people they interview, so getting your foot door is relatively easier than getting invited to stay. However, with your genuine character and story interview would definitely set you apart from others. Second, about money for dental school. A lot of people take one step at a time, but often just because u are one step closer, still means there are more steps. One of those steps is knowing how u can pay for school. With government loans, Stafford, sub and non sub, u can get about 45,000 a year and grad plus loan for the rest. This I think is the way students typically pay for school. Most people take an associate job and start paying loans after dental school. Once u graduate, you can get help paying back through working in community clinics. These are usually located in undeserved locations, but if your goal is to do so anyways, its a win win situation. Another plan is to join the military, although Air Force and Navy are out of 4 year scholarships, army has 4 years left. However, AF and Navy will have 3 year ones. HPSP will pay for all of tutition, books and stuff that school requires. Plus about 2000 a month for living expenses. Yes rent will come out of this amount, so be careful about where u choose to live.

Anyways, work hard now and apply early next year. Good luck my friend.