Stressful Decision--Seeking any advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljgissler

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have what I'm viewing as a good problem to have. I applied early this cycle (1st time) and have already been accepted to a school which starts in January! I wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround, but I was given 21 days to put down the deposit. I already paid the deposit to reserve my seat since it is my #2 school. Problem is, I applied to so many other schools and one of those is my top choice. These other schools usually don't give out interview invites until November-December with the first round of interviews being January. Looking at the past stats of my top choice, I'm very competitive and feel that my chances are really good. *If* I get invited for an interview to my top school, should I risk it and withdraw my acceptance/lose the deposit? I've received 2 other interviews since then so the cycle is actually going well for me. I recognize it's dumb to base these kind of decisions on a feeling and interview invites do not mean guaranteed acceptances, which is why I'm really struggling with what to do. Any advice will help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to defer you acceptance at the other school you have already been accepted to? (I saw your post saying you got accepted to USA in another thread and I know they have multiple start dates a year)

Is it possible to defer you acceptance at the other school you have already been accepted to? (I saw your post saying you got accepted to USA in another thread and I know they have multiple start dates a year)
I was under the assumption I was able to do that, but I guess once you're accepted, you're basically locked in and can't switch unless there's a major medical/military reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe worth to make your decision based on finances. Is your 1st choice program cheaper overall compared to the 2nd choice program? If not, I would just stick to the 2nd choice program.
Also if you already got accepted to your 2nd choice school, why would you waste your time (and maybe money) on interviews for any other schools (other than your 1st choice school)???
If you really want to be in your 1st choice school, try to pursue it. If you get in, you will lose your deposit (many-many-many students do). If you don't know about 1st-choice school decision until 2nd-choice school starts, just go with 2nd-choice school.

Reactions: 1 user
They’re both equal tuition, I think +/- 1k which is nothing. Housing at my top choice is cheaper though.

You and I are going through the same dilemma. I was accepted to USA last week for the january start date. I applied to other rolling admissions schools though that would also start in January so I'll have to choose between them. At this point, I've come to terms with not attending the other schools that have later start dates because by the time they start doing interviews in January, I will have already started the program. I'm eager to start! So I think the best thing is to decide whether starting earlier or later really matters to you. If you start earlier, you're 8 months ahead on beginning your adult life and earning an income! That's how I looked at it at least.

Reactions: 1 user