Stressing...have questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jolie_Fleur

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm kind of the new kid here so you may have already discussed this. My apologies if that is the case.

I am applying to MSTP's and I have a problem with the practice vision AMCAS essay. Ten years from now medical research is likely to have an entirely different face. How do I know what my practice will be like?

I can describe what I want to do, but I don't know if it will be necessary 10 years from now. I don't want to sound like I'm making unjustified assumptions.

Also, I'm from a very small (pop. 450) liberal arts college and I don't know that it even has a reputation for pre-med. We've had one student go on to med school in the last two years. But my GPA is decent, and I am highly involved (student body pres, campus activities board pres, track team, etc.). Should I be shaking in my boots? Of my fellow science majors, some say yes, some say no. What do you think?

It's okay to be brutal, it will soften the blow later.

;)

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to refrain from being overly specific in your practice vision essay. I think one of the main purposes of it is to see if applicants have a specific inclination at this early stage for one specialty over another, if they want to be in academic medicine, private practice, primary care, etc. If you're doing MSTP, you might still be in residency in 4 years, or just going onto a fellowship, or possibly pursuing a research fellowship for a year or two. I think it's okay to mention the one or two most likely scenarios that fit with your current plans. If you feel more comfortable, I think it's fine to state that you are aware your plans may significantly change based on certain medical advancements thay may occur during medical school, or even on your own research or experiences.

As for your chances, if you think your GPA and MCATs are in the ballpark for the programs you are applying to, and you have some significant research experience on your side already (MSTP), then you should be a competitive applicant.