Strong Academic Programs Focusing on Clinical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Torsades42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all of those who recently matched. Initially I was planning on applying this year, but I'm staying on another year to be a chief resident. I tend to plan ahead, and I'm going to be somewhat selective in my applications for PCCM programs in the upcoming cycle.

What's a short list of academic programs (that do lung transplant) and don't shove basic science research down your throat? I'm all about clinical research, but bench is not my thing. By no means do I have an interest in lung transplant per say, but I'd like to train at a center that does that to gain exposure with managing those patients. No specific restriction in geographic regions either.

Members don't see this ad.

While you may not have a geographic restriction surely you have a geographic preference?
How serious are you about research? Is academics a potential future career?
How strong of a candidate are you? US MD coming from a university program?
It's fairly unreasonable to ask strangers to make your list with no information.

Fair questions. Honest answers below.

Geographic preferences: I'd like to avoid the south central states (AL, MS, KS, etc.). Other wise, everything else is game.

Research preferences: Interested in clinical research, most surely will go into an academic career.

Profile summary:
Non-Caribbean IMG, U.S. citizen, training at a clinically strong univ. affiliated IM program (we are lung Tx center), 4 case report poster presentations (all first author, all national conferences, one at a Chest meeting), 1 research poster presentation (ID Week), 1 research oral presentation (AMA), 1 research poster discussion presentation (ATS, manuscript submitted), 1 research publication (PubMed indexed, low IF journal but PubMed indexed, it was GME related research). I also have another research poster presented at a national conference which I was third author on. Chief year coming up. Involved with organized medicine (AMA, etc.) at the national level.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I can speak to is the programs I visited. The ones I would say fit your desires would be:

Cleveland Clinic
Utah
Indiana
Ohio State
WashU
Emory
Yale
UTSW
Minnesota
Boston Univ (clinical is getting better, but traditionally is strong in basic)
Colorado (could do clinical, but research is a must here)

Fair questions. Honest answers below.

Geographic preferences: I'd like to avoid the south central states (AL, MS, KS, etc.). Other wise, everything else is game.

Research preferences: Interested in clinical research, most surely will go into an academic career.

Profile summary:
Non-Caribbean IMG, U.S. citizen, training at a clinically strong univ. affiliated IM program (we are lung Tx center), 4 case report poster presentations (all first author, all national conferences, one at a Chest meeting), 1 research poster presentation (ID Week), 1 research oral presentation (AMA), 1 research poster discussion presentation (ATS, manuscript submitted), 1 research publication (PubMed indexed, low IF journal but PubMed indexed, it was GME related research). I also have another research poster presented at a national conference which I was third author on. Chief year coming up. Involved with organized medicine (AMA, etc.) at the national level.

A couple quick questions for you to think about but for which you don't necessarily need to respond. What draws you to academic medicine? Is it teaching opportunities or the clinical research itself? If it's the teaching, there are plenty of opportunities out there that are more quasi academic. If its the clinical research, are you interested in a particular disease area? Is is transplant? You mentioned wanting to have exposure to this field. There are some programs that do transplant and then there are programs that DO transplant. Likewise, not all fellowship programs are created equally in their clinical exposure and experiences. Also, some programs offer masters in clinical research degrees, etc. Would you be interested in this? If you know/ figure out the answers to these questions, where to apply will become more clear.

how many places try to shove basic science down your throat? better yet how many places will just hand you an opportunity for clinical research