Strong nucleophile or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalLonghorn2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So, a phosphorus with 3 R groups and N with 3 R groups. Chad said that P can be a strong base but in a Q&A they said a P with 3 R groups is not a good nucleophile due to it being too "fat". Also, what about N?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Even though N is smaller than P, NR3 is still going to be pretty bulky making it a poor nucleophile.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all,

So, a phosphorus with 3 R groups and N with 3 R groups. Chad said that P can be a strong base but in a Q&A they said a P with 3 R groups is not a good nucleophile due to it being too "fat". Also, what about N?

Thank you!!

Phosphorus is among our VERY BEST nucleophiles. We use them in many reactions such as the Wittig and Gilbert reaction. Even a sterically hindered nucleophile works great.....the Phosphorus -atom distance is reasonably long, the electrons are very loosely held. Although, not as common as S, N, or O nucleophiles,,,,,,these reagents are AMAZING !!!! I have read many books on Phosphorus Chemistry, and count it as one of my favorite elements !!!!

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Here are a few examples.......

sdn ex.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Phosphorus is among our VERY BEST nucleophiles. We use them in many reactions such as the Wittig and Gilbert reaction. Even a sterically hindered nucleophile works great.....the Phosphorus -atom distance is reasonably long, the electrons are very loosely held. Although, not as common as S, N, or O nucleophiles,,,,,,these reagents are AMAZING !!!! I have read many books on Phosphorus Chemistry, and count it as one of my favorite elements !!!!

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Here are a few examples.......

View attachment 195361

Thank you Dr. Romano. What about N with 3 R groups? Would that be a weak nucleophile but decent base?

Thank you Dr. Romano. What about N with 3 R groups? Would that be a weak nucleophile but decent base?

A nitrogen with 3 R groups is usually the Kiss of Death when it comes to nucleophilicity,,,,,,just too damn big ! As far as basicity goes,,,,,we usually see an increase in its strength. For reasons still debated, steric effects dont count as heavily when basicity is concerned, likely because we are capturing a simple hydrogen ion. Interestingly, quinuclidine is a tertiary amine, that is a decent nucleophile. Can you tell me why ?

Here is a picture of the compound......
dental LH.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
A nitrogen with 3 R groups is usually the Kiss of Death when it comes to nucleophilicity,,,,,,just too damn big ! As far as basicity goes,,,,,we usually see an increase in its strength. For reasons still debated, steric effects dont count as heavily when basicity is concerned, likely because we are capturing a simple hydrogen ion. Interestingly, quinuclidine is a tertiary amine, that is a decent nucleophile. Can you tell me why ?

Here is a picture of the compound......
View attachment 195375

Is it because there's less hinderance? This may sound dumb but there's more "free " space in the front with the nitrogen than the back?