Strongest Programs in Southeast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saturday’s Child

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to give their thoughts on the strongest ortho residencies in the southeast? Many reviews I have found are at least a couple years old (SDN, orthogate, reddit, etc.) and may be outdated. I realize "strength" is often subjective and depends on an individual's goals and preferences, so I am just curious about general qualities like overall reputation, operative experience/autonomy, research opportunities, etc. Feel free to offer a personal ranking or just comments on each program.

Some names that come to mind: Duke, Vandy, Ortho Carolinas, Emory, Campbell Clinic, Miami, UF, UAB

Members don't see this ad.

Purely based on brand name/reputation alone, not sure UAB or Miami make the list.

Purely based on brand name/reputation alone, not sure UAB or Miami make the list.
Yeah, tried to cast a wide net but I think that’s a very fair point. Have you heard much about Carolinas? I know they were sort of an “up and coming” or “dark horse” program for a while like 5-10 years ago, but I’m curious to know where they stand now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every program on that list will train you to be a very competent surgeon IMO. I interviewed at Vandy and Campbell clinic for trauma fellowship and they seemed like great programs with heavy trauma experience. Emory is also a great program with unreal trauma.

Reactions: 1 users
Ranked:
Vandy > Duke > Emory > Campbell (strong trauma training, but far less influential now than in decades past, this place is just losing its luster unfortunately) > UAB > Miami (great "extracirriculars" tho) > UF > OrthoCarolina (known more for their many fellowships than their residency)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user