Saturday’s Child

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Anyone care to give their thoughts on the strongest ortho residencies in the southeast? Many reviews I have found are at least a couple years old (SDN, orthogate, reddit, etc.) and may be outdated. I realize "strength" is often subjective and depends on an individual's goals and preferences, so I am just curious about general qualities like overall reputation, operative experience/autonomy, research opportunities, etc. Feel free to offer a personal ranking or just comments on each program.

Some names that come to mind: Duke, Vandy, Ortho Carolinas, Emory, Campbell Clinic, Miami, UF, UAB

Miles Gloriosus

“ME-lace” not “Miles”
10+ Year Member
May 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Purely based on brand name/reputation alone, not sure UAB or Miami make the list.

Saturday’s Child

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Purely based on brand name/reputation alone, not sure UAB or Miami make the list.
Yeah, tried to cast a wide net but I think that’s a very fair point. Have you heard much about Carolinas? I know they were sort of an “up and coming” or “dark horse” program for a while like 5-10 years ago, but I’m curious to know where they stand now.

About the Ads

DarkHorizon

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Every program on that list will train you to be a very competent surgeon IMO. I interviewed at Vandy and Campbell clinic for trauma fellowship and they seemed like great programs with heavy trauma experience. Emory is also a great program with unreal trauma.

Reactions: 1 users

KinasePro

Das it mane
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2009
Snap city
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Ranked:
Vandy > Duke > Emory > Campbell (strong trauma training, but far less influential now than in decades past, this place is just losing its luster unfortunately) > UAB > Miami (great "extracirriculars" tho) > UF > OrthoCarolina (known more for their many fellowships than their residency)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.