Structured Post-Bacc even worth it? Need advice 3.74 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midnightmd2

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who has done a structured post-bacc, what did you gain from it that you couldn't have gotten with a DIY approach, and was it worth the fees?

I graduated in 2018 after having taken zero science or math classes... like none. I did get a 3.74 cGPA though. I have been doing research at a military medical center since graduation so I do have research experience. I also just took Biology I and II at a community college and got A's in both. But I have done no shadowing and have limited clinical experience.

I need to take the rest of the chem, physics, etc. courses required, and have been so torn between a DIY which is very cheap and can be from a reputable institution like Harvard's Extension School, or doing a formal program that comes with a committee letter, potential linkage, and the advising.

What do!!!!!??

Structured post-bacc vs. DIY post-bacc?

Members don't see this ad.

To anyone who has done a structured post-bacc, what did you gain from it that you couldn't have gotten with a DIY approach, and was it worth the fees?

I graduated in 2018 after having taken zero science or math classes... like none. I did get a 3.74 cGPA though. I have been doing research at a military medical center since graduation so I do have research experience. I also just took Biology I and II at a community college and got A's in both. But I have done no shadowing and have limited clinical experience.

I need to take the rest of the chem, physics, etc. courses required, and have been so torn between a DIY which is very cheap and can be from a reputable institution like Harvard's Extension School, or doing a formal program that comes with a committee letter, potential linkage, and the advising.

What do!!!!!??

Something you may want to consider in favor of a structured, formal program is that shadowing and volunteering opportunities are often built into these programs, so you won't have to do the extra work of finding these on your own like you would with a DIY.

Your GPA is excellent and as long as your SAT/ACT scores are decent, you would probably not have trouble getting into a reputable formal post-bacc that offers linkages. I also don't think having extensive clinical experience matters as much at this stage; what matters is whether you have some relevant experience to inform your desire to pursue medicine. Research experience could be fine for this.

Reactions: 1 user

What do!!!!!??

The only benefit from a structured post-bac is that you get advising and ideally, MCAT prep as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only benefit from a structured post-bac is that you get advising and ideally, MCAT prep as well.
I'm honored to have the great Goro give me advice! Would you even recommend looking into those structured post-baccs with conditional acceptances to their med schools (e.g., Temple)? Or do you think that a DIY is more or less the way to go?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm honored to have the great Goro give me advice! Would you even recommend looking into those structured post-baccs with conditional acceptances to their med schools (e.g., Temple)? Or do you think that a DIY is more or less the way to go?
A program with linkage is even better than just a program!

Do DIY is money is an issue. That's the major benefit.

Reactions: 1 users