Structured postbac vs. DIY curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMH1313

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated from a highly regarded university with a liberal arts degree (very light on science courses) and a 3.4 GPA. Since then, I've decided that I would like to go to medical school. In order to do so, of course, I'll need to complete all of the necessary pre-med courses. I've been told that there are a couple of options for me: (1) a structured postbac program or (2) enrolling at a university and taking the required course without an organized postbac program. There aren't any postbac programs in my state, and money is rather tight, so the second option is more appealing to me. As an additional note, I'm planning on doing volunteer work in a hospital, and grades should not be a problem. Has anyone seen success with option (2)? Do medical schools frown upon people who take this route rather than a postbac program? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of folks go DIY for many of the reasons you are thinking of it( no formal post-bacc in the area, lack of $). I'm doing it because of funds and because I can't move at the moment.

Some people start out this way and then move over after a year or so. Many get admitted this route. More than a handful of them post on SDN.

Do what is best for your situation. Consider the whole picture, EC's, LOR's. MCAT, clinical experience.

A stellar MCAT score is the great equalizer! :p

sunnyjohn said:
Lots of folks go DIY for many of the reasons you are thinking of it( no formal post-bacc in the area, lack of $). I'm doing it because of funds and because I can't move at the moment.

Some people start out this way and then move over after a year or so. Many get admitted this route. More than a handful of them post on SDN.

Do what is best for your situation. Consider the whole picture, EC's, LOR's. MCAT, clinical experience.

A stellar MCAT score is the great equalizer! :p

Thanks for the info. If I do go the DIY route, is there some comprehensive list of all the courses I'll need to take? Part of my worries about DIY is that I'll miss something and set myself back even further.

Members don't see this ad :)
JMH1313 said:
Thanks for the info. If I do go the DIY route, is there some comprehensive list of all the courses I'll need to take? Part of my worries about DIY is that I'll miss something and set myself back even further.

You need Bio I&II, General Chemistry I&II, Physics I&II and Organic Chemistry I&II.

Algebra-based physics is fine. You will be well prepared for the MCAT.

Some med schools ask for Biochemistry, so it might not be a bad idea to look at the schools you are interested in to see if they ask for it.

Although the first eight classes are all that are required, some people throw in extra science classes. A course in Genetics is supposed to be helpful. So does an upper level Human Anatomy or Physiology class. Do your homework and search the forums before you register for any extras.

I recommend getting a copy of the MSAR, Medical School Admission Requirements. It will give you official stats (MCAT & GPA), application procedures, and information for every med school in Canada and the US.

You can compare your stats to the students that apply to the schools you are interested in.

I'll stop now. Smarter folks than I will soon chime in and give you more info.
:p

So, I take it that it would be required/prudent to wait until completing all of those courses you listed before taking the MCAT? Which would mean, in turn, that I would have to take another year off before then beginning medical school?

I'm just trying to figure out a timetable for getting from where I am now (A liberal arts degree and few science classes) to medical school.

I'm already looking at at least 6 mos. off before I can get into a state school to start the pre-reqs, then 2 years to finish the pre-reqs, then a year off before med school, for total of 3.5 years. Does my math add up right?

So you are looking to start your pre-req's in Jan '07?

If you have proper Math preparation and at least a strong grasp of College Algebra, there are plans out there to complete all those classes in a year. It does take a heavy commitment and you must be prepared to work hard, balance your family life and do well. Most of the plans use a summer session start, but they can be tailored to any start time.

I hesitate to post my own ideas here because what you do will depend on your science background, level of commitment, work situation, your school's schedule, you family commitment and how much you think you can take AND DO WELL!

Are you going to be working full time in a very demanding job with a heavy family commitment , or do you have a fairly laid back job?

The plan is to work PT volunteering at a local hospital. I'll be living with my parents, since they're close to the university I'm hoping to attend, and beyond that family life is a non-issue. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can focus almost entirely on studying. I'm waiting to hear back from the university about when I can start classes, but it would be Fall '06 at the latest (that's assuming I apply this coming fall). So the most likely path from there would be MCAT/applications in late '07 and hopefully med school in '08.

Does that sound about right to you?

Thanks for all your help, by the way. It's much appreciated.

No med school is going to care abou taking the pre-reqs at a formal program vs an informal DIY one. The only thing that matters is that you complete the pre-reqs at THE MOST COMPETITVE institution you can. This means no community college and picking the school nearby whereever you live that is the most well regarded academically.

Frankly, I think you are wasting time if you plan to begin with the pre-reqs in 2006. Medicine, particularly, is a very long haul and you want to start as soon as possible. Even if that means taking out loans to do it. Think about it: even if you take out $50k in loans to attend Columbia or Georgetowns post-bacc pre-med programs (both are excellent, by the way) and end up paying back $80k with interest, the year you save comes at the end of your career, when you make the most. A 20 year career in medicine, yields an average of $300k.

junebuguf said:
No med school is going to care abou taking the pre-reqs at a formal program vs an informal DIY one. The only thing that matters is that you complete the pre-reqs at THE MOST COMPETITVE institution you can. This means no community college and picking the school nearby whereever you live that is the most well regarded academically.

Frankly, I think you are wasting time if you plan to begin with the pre-reqs in 2006. Medicine, particularly, is a very long haul and you want to start as soon as possible. Even if that means taking out loans to do it. Think about it: even if you take out $50k in loans to attend Columbia or Georgetowns post-bacc pre-med programs (both are excellent, by the way) and end up paying back $80k with interest, the year you save comes at the end of your career, when you make the most. A 20 year career in medicine, yields an average of $300k.
I was accepted into the state school to finish my pre-reqs. Under the current plan, I'd do pre-reqs from Fall 2005-Winter 2007, Spring '07 MCAT and apply late '07, matriculating in 2008. Does that sound like a good plan?

JMH:

You're on the same schedule as I am. Here's my proposed plan if I do go the MD route:

Spring 06 - Spring 07
Take Premed classes/pre-reqs
Spring 07
MCAT
Summer 07
MCAT again
first round of applications?
Fall 07
Interviews and/or decisions
Spring 08
Final decisions
Summer 08
Break
Fall 08
Commence med school
Spring 2012
Graduate

MaryWrathers said:
JMH:

You're on the same schedule as I am. Here's my proposed plan if I do go the MD route:

Spring 06 - Spring 07
Take Premed classes/pre-reqs
Spring 07
MCAT
Summer 07
MCAT again
first round of applications?
Fall 07
Interviews and/or decisions
Spring 08
Final decisions
Summer 08
Break
Fall 08
Commence med school
Spring 2012
Graduate

Good plan
:thumbup:

junebuguf said:
junebuguf said:
Everyones situation is different. IF you are single, no job, no family commitments, no children, then I would say DONT go to a CC to complete your coursework. However, IF one or even all of these apply, you are in a different situation. Do what you can to get the classes done. Some people arent able to take out 50K to spend on prereqs because they have other commitments at home (kids, wife, job) they need to take care of. My advice is do the prereqs were it is possible for you. CC or University whatever they case may be... just make sure you KILL the MCAT.

From what I have heard, adcoms look at how you manage time.
IF you can handle a lot of things at once, and do well... your on a good path.