Struggled on chemistry

Started by sodiumd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sodiumd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I felt like a disaster upon taking the chemistry section, felt like I didn't know how to answer the majority of the questions. My score was 50%. The frustrating part about it is that I don't know how to fix this or improve, seeing as I made 'A's in all of my chemistry classes, including Organic I and II. Even my friends who struggle with chemistry got scores in the 70s. What is going on? 😕
One thing I will admit is that I wasn't expecting the bulk of the question to be over organic chemistry. I think there were only 10 general chemistry questions max (not fair).

I appreciate any kind of advice or insight.
 
After using Dr. Collins to study for the PCAT, I began to notice his practice tests, for chemistry in particular, were very predictable and also very similar to the Kaplan and Pearson practice tests. If you have access to Dr. Collins I would highly recommend it. It helped me tremendously. I took gen chem 4 years ago and remembered very little but his study guides did a lot to bring my memory back up to par and I was able to figure out exactly how the chemistry portion of the real PCAT would look with the exception of the new material on the new test..I ended up getting a 93% on chemistry. I would suggest looking at the pcat blueprint on the Pearson website http://www.pcatweb.info/downloads/about/PCAT_Test_Blueprint_and_Sample_Items_2011_12.pdf It tells you essentially what the test will have on it. Use old text books or go to the library and make sure you're familiar with every section/subsection. I would say about 60-65% of the chem is gen chem so make sure you're solid on that, I found those questions to be more in depth than the orgo questions which were more general. Good luck!
 
Sometimes stuff happens. I only have general chemistry 1 and 2 and ended up with a 93 on the chemistry section. I used the Kaplan PCAT for general chemistry, Organic Chemistry As a Second Language Semester One for organic chemistry, and Lehinger Principles of Biochemistry for biochemistry. I'm pretty sure every test is a little different judging by mixed reactions on other sections so it also takes luck to score high. If you're retaking I definitely recommend Kaplan PCAT since there are a lot of conceptual general chemistry questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing I will admit is that I wasn't expecting the bulk of the question to be over organic chemistry. I think there were only 10 general chemistry questions max (not fair). .

Chemistry is chemistry. Organic and general are both chemistry. Of course they'll give you questions you don't expect. It's not supposed to be a piece of cake. There are many ways to improve. Just because you got As in your classes doesn't mean you know it all. Review your textbooks, buy some study materials. And like others have said, stuff happens. A couple questions wrong and your percentile could drop drastically. Don't lose hope buddy.