lao27746

2+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2015
Status
DPT / OTD
Has anyone else struggled in their first semester of OT school? I have been spending every waking hour preparing for exams, papers, and other class projects. I understand that this is graduate school, but I've never had to study this much in my life. I feel incredibly overwhelmed with all of the material presented in my courses. Anyone else experience this?

RUNNING_OT

2+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
opportuneot.wordpress.com
Status
Occupational Therapist
Has anyone else struggled in their first semester of OT school? I have been spending every waking hour preparing for exams, papers, and other class projects. I understand that this is graduate school, but I've never had to study this much in my life. I feel incredibly overwhelmed with all of the material presented in my courses. Anyone else experience this?
I was extremely overwhelmed last year during my first semester. It is normal. Ultimately you have to learn what works for you. I spent hours studying while the majority of my cohort went out and partied. I knew what I could balance. It definitely gets easier. My second semester was much easier. I'm in my last semester now before starting Level 2 FW and I am much less overwhelmed compared to last year. The first semester is hard because they throw everything at you to get the basic foundation. Later semester start to hone in a bit more to specific populations and settings.

Good luck! :)

About the Ads

lilbunnies

2+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2016
Status
Occupational Therapy Student
The pace of it is definitely crazy. I'm in my first semester and the amount of work we have done in a month is more than I did during a lot of my undergrad. The days of being a passive student are over but I'm enjoying learning stuff I actually care about. I'm still working on balancing it all out, but I try to squeeze in a little bit of time to relax and get my exercise in every day. Try to do a little bit every day so you don't get behind. Prioritize your readings. You can do it
:)

Reactions: lao27746

dobber

5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Status
Rehab Sci Student
My first semester was "easy" content-wise. The volume of work and wrapping the concept of occupation on everything was the hard part. And it only got worse for me... but I'm still hanging in there

About the Ads