Other OT-Related Information Struggling in OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lao27746

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else struggled in their first semester of OT school? I have been spending every waking hour preparing for exams, papers, and other class projects. I understand that this is graduate school, but I've never had to study this much in my life. I feel incredibly overwhelmed with all of the material presented in my courses. Anyone else experience this?

Members don't see this ad.

I won't say I'm struggling, but I'm definitely spending every waking moment in a book.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else struggled in their first semester of OT school? I have been spending every waking hour preparing for exams, papers, and other class projects. I understand that this is graduate school, but I've never had to study this much in my life. I feel incredibly overwhelmed with all of the material presented in my courses. Anyone else experience this?

I was extremely overwhelmed last year during my first semester. It is normal. Ultimately you have to learn what works for you. I spent hours studying while the majority of my cohort went out and partied. I knew what I could balance. It definitely gets easier. My second semester was much easier. I'm in my last semester now before starting Level 2 FW and I am much less overwhelmed compared to last year. The first semester is hard because they throw everything at you to get the basic foundation. Later semester start to hone in a bit more to specific populations and settings.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The pace of it is definitely crazy. I'm in my first semester and the amount of work we have done in a month is more than I did during a lot of my undergrad. The days of being a passive student are over but I'm enjoying learning stuff I actually care about. I'm still working on balancing it all out, but I try to squeeze in a little bit of time to relax and get my exercise in every day. Try to do a little bit every day so you don't get behind. Prioritize your readings. You can do it
:)

Reactions: 1 user
My first semester was "easy" content-wise. The volume of work and wrapping the concept of occupation on everything was the hard part. And it only got worse for me... but I'm still hanging in there