Stuck and confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zqn859

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Currently I identify myself as pre-med but recently I seem to go everyday with this overwhelming feeling that I'm biting off more than I can chew and maybe this isn't the correct career path for me. In high school I always took business electives and figured I would go to college and pursue a degree in advertising or somewhere along those lines. I realized that business or advertising isn't something I am actually interested in or something I could see myself dedicating my life to. I figured a business degree was an easy way out and never in a million years would I have imagined I'd be studying pre-med. I've always been fascinated with skin and I really started to take interest in becoming a dermatologist. However as an undergrad sophomore, I'm starting to feel like my goals are unrealistic and it stresses me out on a daily basis. I am not by any means the smartest student, I have always been above average but there are still people with much better grades than me. Currently my GPA is about a 3.3. However, I have always taken pride in being an extremely hard worker. Recently I am starting to wonder if perhaps optometry school would suit me better. It doesn't feel like it would be "settling" for a career, I do take interest in optometry, however it seems it would be a more realistic option. Everyone keeps telling me to just finish my undergrad first and then I can choose a career path but I don't believe that's the greatest advice. If I want to apply to either of these schools I need volunteer hours or a job in the field, so I feel like I should take action now. I was just hoping to receive some advice from anyone who may have been in my shoes before or has any insight. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Being fascinated with skin is normal. However, it is insufficient reason to pursue a long and challenging course that is unlikely to result in a dermatology residency (even for smart and talented medical students).
Your grades will not keep you from becoming a doctor (with sufficient repair), but a commitment to service has to be the foundation of your effort.
There are many ways to be of service. Your job is to find the one that meets your needs and rewards your talents. Explore online and shadow.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadow shadow shadow. Shadow derm, shadow optometrists, and shadow other doctors. Don't focus on derm just yet; that's putting the cart a mile before the horse. Start by deciding if you want to be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user