Student Academy of Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalAud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the current Au.D students, does your program have a SAA chapter (Student Academy of Audiology)? If so, how do you like it? Is your chapter active and how so (e.g. summer camps for the deaf and hearing impaired, Special Olympics, etc..)

For perspective Au.D students like myself: See if your dream school(s) offer(s) a SAA chapter. Information can be accessed at http://www.audiology.org/education/students/SAA/Documents/45_Uni_Chapters.pdf.

Members don't see this ad.

I just joined a few months ago, although our school chapter is not very active. Maybe I can help change that. There just doesn't seem to be much interest in branching out.

The SAA is pretty new, only being around for about a year. Before that there was NAFDA, but that was absorbed into AAA and became SAA. Each school has varying degress of SAA activity and I think it depends on the leadership. Some are very active and do camps or conferences and others are very involved with the Special Olympics. Others are inactive or non-existant. I think that either of these scenarios presents a great opportunity if you are interested in leadership and community service. On one hand, if you're with an active chapter, you can dive right in and be a part of something great. On the other hand, you can jumpstart an inactive chapter and make it something great. The good news is that either way you go, you can get help from the national SAA body to get ideas for fundraising and activities.

My chapter put on a conference this year. Last year they started a White Coat Ceremony for graduates. It's great!