student budget

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by JG777, Mar 13, 2004.

1. JG777

JG777 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello,

(if you are a current scco student, i'd especially like to hear from you)

i was just wondering the best ways to budget expenses in OD school. for example, for books, is it best to buy them all? or can i get away with using the texts on reserve?
    (in college, i was so cheap, i'd photocopy my books to save money :laugh: )

for scco, i was given last year's budget, and $3156 annual was given to books and equipment. how much does the equipment usually cost?

also, is it even possible to save money while in school?

general financial question, is it best to put money in a money market or cd? does anyone know of good resources to compare?

any feedback would be great!! thanks! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    A great way to save money on the books you decide to buy is to look for older editions on half.com (or other used bookseller sites) -- there are usually minimal changes per edition, so usually all you're missing is some formatting changes and minor changes. I save a *lot* of money that way! At SUNY the 2nd years give the 1st years advice about what books to buy at the beginning of the year -- they probably do the same at SCCO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    r_salis,

My wife will be proud that you gave her a by-line.:laugh: