Student Budgets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shannon804

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending SUNY in the fall, but I imagine this will be helpful for many of us, regardless of what school we will attend. Can current students give us some ideas about what your student budget looks like? If any of you are willing to share more specific breakdowns, that would be extremely useful (but I understand if you don't want to do that). What outside help, if any, do you receive from family members?

Members don't see this ad.

I live at home. I get no grants/scholarships. My parents pay for everything including transportation costs. Life is good :thumbup: But I'm moving out next year so life will not be so good :( Do you have any specific questions in terms of apartments or transportation costs or other things?

I live at home. I get no grants/scholarships. My parents pay for everything including transportation costs. Life is good :thumbup: But I'm moving out next year so life will not be so good :( Do you have any specific questions in terms of apartments or transportation costs or other things?

I'm not sure if you'd be able to help with this, but what would you say that your classmates' spend on rent and utilities each month? Also, would you save signifcant money each month by living within walking distance of school versus commuting and perhaps having to buy a monthly pass for the subway?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if you'd be able to help with this, but what would you say that your classmates' spend on rent and utilities each month? Also, would you save signifcant money each month by living within walking distance of school versus commuting and perhaps having to buy a monthly pass for the subway?

Really depends where they live. And NO. You will NOT save money by living close to school. If money is a priority that is a big no no. Commuting by subway in New York City costs about $100 a month. I'd say 80% of people commute by subway. What you want to do is live in a neighborhood that is reasonably away from Manhattan but at the same time cheap.

Example: One friend I know lives on 52nd st and 3rd ave. She pays $3800 for a STUDIO. Sure you can walk to school and be there in 15 minutes. (And yes, you can find obscure studios for like $2000 a month with no windows that another one of my friends lives in.)

Another friend I know lives in Jamaica, Queens. Lives with a classmate and they share a 3 bedroom HOUSE. He pays $600 a month. HUGE difference. So that is $600 + $100 for commuting although the commute is a little over an hour.

Personally, I'd find something in the middle like 30 minutes away and like $800-$1000 to room with someone. That is why Astoria, Queens is so popular with my class.

Really depends where they live. And NO. You will NOT save money by living close to school. If money is a priority that is a big no no. Commuting by subway in New York City costs about $100 a month. I'd say 80% of people commute by subway. What you want to do is live in a neighborhood that is reasonably away from Manhattan but at the same time cheap.

Example: One friend I know lives on 52nd st and 3rd ave. She pays $3800 for a STUDIO. Sure you can walk to school and be there in 15 minutes. (And yes, you can find obscure studios for like $2000 a month with no windows that another one of my friends lives in.)

Another friend I know lives in Jamaica, Queens. Lives with a classmate and they share a 3 bedroom HOUSE. He pays $600 a month. HUGE difference. So that is $600 + $100 for commuting although the commute is a little over an hour.

Personally, I'd find something in the middle like 30 minutes away and like $800-$1000 to room with someone. That is why Astoria, Queens is so popular with my class.

$3800 for a studio is crazy! Queens is looking pretty good right now, although Jamaica is way too far away. Thanks for the info!

$3800 for a studio is crazy! Queens is looking pretty good right now, although Jamaica is way too far away. Thanks for the info!

Yup. I don't really see all the fascination with NYC.

No offense, but that's probably because you're practically from NYC. :)

True, its what everyone tells me. I've met loads of people that would never want to live in NYC and never did, however.