Student Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering starting an Atheist V Theist debate club at my school. Of course I live in the good old bible belt so I know what kind of beating I can expect from some but I have been receiving alot of positive feedback about the idea. I was planing on doing the semantics for the club over the summer and start meeting for it in the fall. I wonder if this club would be a good idea for leadership experence or if it may not be the best of ideas consitering the offencive nature of the subject for some people. I really don't want it to be a major turn off at interviews in the future. I figure I would run this by SDN peeps.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I might title it something a little less controversial, like Religious Discussion Forum or something.

Either way, if you're going to be open about starting a religious debate club, I'd expect to possibly have religious debates on the interview trail. Your interviewer could take major offense by your stance. Of course they're supposed to be impartial as far as religious view goes, but you never know how you'll come off to someone.

Remember that your patients will largely have some sort of religious views (they say 90%+ do) so you'll be expected to be empathetic to their needs.

If it were me, I wouldn't even mention this in my application.

Most docs on faculty are VERY conservative. A few I know on our admissions committee LOVE to talk to patients about their mutual religion. I could easily see one of them taking offense to you starting debates on religion.

I live in the south though.....maybe you'd do better in the NE or coastal regions.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were me, I wouldn't even mention this in my application.

Most docs on faculty are VERY conservative. A few I know on our admissions committee LOVE to talk to patients about their mutual religion. I could easily see one of them taking offense to you starting debates on religion.

I live in the south though.....maybe you'd do better in the NE or coastal regions.

Wow, you have faculty at your medical school who are religious? That is a mind blower. According to many people on SDN, being a competent doctor and being religious are mutually exclusive.

I was thinking of calling it Iron Chariots, after the bible verse in 1st Judges. I actually was trying to get out of the south as I live in Jacksonville, Fl and well it is quite conservative here. I am quite empathic toward the beliefs of others ( one of the reason for starting the club is because I feel for them) and I respect anyones view points. I respect them so much I have no problem pointing out flaws in a persons faith. I know some don't take it that way though.:laugh: Oh well, we shall see how the opinion flows as so far it is just in the conscept phase and if it turns out to be good leadership experence I will definitly but it in the application after all, the admins don't need to know what side I was on now do they?

I was thinking of calling it Iron Chariots, after the bible verse in 1st Judges. I actually was trying to get out of the south as I live in Jacksonville, Fl and well it is quite conservative here. I am quite empathic toward the beliefs of others ( one of the reason for starting the club is because I feel for them) and I respect anyones view points. I respect them so much I have no problem pointing out flaws in a persons faith. I know some don't take it that way though.:laugh: Oh well, we shall see how the opinion flows as so far it is just in the conscept phase and if it turns out to be good leadership experence I will definitly but it in the application after all, the admins don't need to know what side I was on now do they?

:laugh: Empathy and sympathy are not the same thing.

I dont see it as a problem per se on the interview trail. I dont know that I even agree that the majority of interviewers are that conservative. I would expect however, to get into it in every interview. Possibly even having the debate again there (some would do it just to see how you react). Giving your interviewer fuel to "test" you might prove detrimental. I think standing up for your beliefs is a positive thing, but it could overshadow your interview or application if taken wrong. I would think a brief mention of it would be perfect, but its a personal decision.

I've always been one for showing uniqueness of character and personality on my app, so of course I say its fine, but there are benefits to "not rocking the boat" so to speak when it comes to your med school app and interviews.

Your reasoning is flawed. A die-hard theist wouldn't start an atheist vs theist debate club. They would start a religious club that benefits charities, etc. (like the hundreds of them already). By starting the club, you put a big flag on your head that says "atheist".

Well then I where that flag proudly. Thanks for the input everybody. I think a brief mention would be best. If it does go down that road explaining my stand point on things isn't that hard nor conflictive. I am sure they have had quite a few atheist come through and if they are true christians I doubt to many would want to damage their witness to me by making an example of "the atheist that interviewed here". Beside if it is that kind of school I doubt I would be a very good fit there anyways.