Student Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsweet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you entering pharmacy school this year or already in pharmacy school, are you purchasing your student health care insurance or getting it from other companies? Is student health care insurance usually a ripoff? I have to get a plan separately for the first time and I'm not sure whether I should go with the school's plan or get individual health insurance from another company.

Members don't see this ad.

starsweet said:
For those of you entering pharmacy school this year or already in pharmacy school, are you purchasing your student health care insurance or getting it from other companies? Is student health care insurance usually a ripoff? I have to get a plan separately for the first time and I'm not sure whether I should go with the school's plan or get individual health insurance from another company.

The health my school uses is a rip of if you ask me. Its quite expensive and they only cover around %70 of expenses across the board. Take a look at Blue cross blue shield, that is what I am trying to get, it is just as expensive, maybe a tad bit more, but it has much better coverage.

starsweet said:

Check out unicare insurance at www.healthuni.com

For about $85/month, you have unlimited office visits with only a $30 copay. You will only need to meet your deductible if you're hospitalized then you're 100% covered.

Members don't see this ad :)
The health insurance at my pre-pharmacy school was fantastic. I had some minor surgery a couple of summers ago and paid absolutely nothing for it. Of course I paid about $1500 a year for the insurance and I only used it once - so I paid about $4500 for my surgery if you look at it that way. I think I'll start going to the doctor for everything from now on just to get my money's worth. Cold? Doctor visit. Hang nail? Doctor visit. Foot callus? Doctor visit. he-he

One thing I would do is look into high deductible ins. that has little, if any, coverage for office visits. This is assuming you are healthy and rarely visit the Dr. My thoughts are if you get a minor sickness or want a physical, use your student health center. It is usually low cost for visits anyway. I look at insurance as a way to provide for my catastrophic needs (Heart/liver transplant!). You can save alot of money in the long run. Sure you may develop some rare problem or break your leg and need to visit the Dr., but this is unlikely(assuming your healthy and don't have hang-gliding as a hobby!). Just some thoughts!

kvl1027 said:
The health my school uses is a rip of if you ask me. Its quite expensive and they only cover around %70 of expenses across the board. Take a look at Blue cross blue shield, that is what I am trying to get, it is just as expensive, maybe a tad bit more, but it has much better coverage.

Hmmm... I actually already have Blue Cross Blue Shield through my former employer but since I got laid off the rates go up every year so I am trying to decide whether it is worth it to pay a higher rate every year that I decide to continue with them. So many decisions to make. :scared: So which company is your school insurance, mine is Pearce and Pearce?