Student hosting at your UG institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonnet43

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be interviewing at my UG institution in Feb. Should I still take advantage of the student hosting program to be able to ask the host questions/get advice?

Or will that just be rude? Taking up the student host's time/energy when I live just nearby and taking up a spot that some out of state student could get hosted?

Confused....Any comments from those who interviewed at nearby universities with hosting programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be interviewing at my UG institution in Feb. Should I still take advantage of the student hosting program to be able to ask the host questions/get advice?

Or will that just be rude? Taking up the student host's time/energy when I live just nearby and taking up a spot that some out of state student could get hosted?

Confused....Any comments from those who interviewed at nearby universities with hosting programs?

You don't know any medical students there? Most schools offer to let you get in touch with current med students if you contact them. That can be helpful for advice or any questions you may have.

If you live in the area, I don't really think you need to camp out with a student host - hosts in general don't mind giving up their time, but if you don't really need their help, you could be taking up a spot that another applicant needs more than you do. Plus, if you already know the area and have some exposure to the school through your UG institution, you may find that your host isn't exactly sure what they should be telling you about.

Take advantage of the lunch and tour to get to know about the school, you don't need an overnight host for that. Some students may even be willing to spend some extra time with you to talk about the program. Personally, I would have no problem going to coffee with an applicant to talk about my school, but I probably wouldn't offer to host someone if they lived in town.