Student Interest Group for Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue Synapse

The Dude Has Got No Mercy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the annoying caveat that I'm not even a bona fide medical student until this fall, I've always been interested in neurology (yes, I know this is highly subject to change in the next 3-4 years). There is no student interest group at my school for neurology. Is it pretentious and foolhardy for an MS-1 to start a SIGN before he's even finished Gross? Also, was anyone's desire to pursue this specialty shaped by participation in such a group during med school? Kindly share any experience/thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not pretentious at all. In fact, a first year at my school re-started the SIGN this year. All it takes is some collaboration with the neuro faculty at your school and interest by some students. As far as how much influence any kind of specialty-oriented group has, that all depends on how good the group is. If you have meetings that are interesting and fun, that's going to make people like the specialty more. Ultimately your experience in clerkships is most likely what will determine if neuro is really for you or not.

Rogue Synapse said:
With the annoying caveat that I'm not even a bona fide medical student until this fall, I've always been interested in neurology (yes, I know this is highly subject to change in the next 3-4 years). There is no student interest group at my school for neurology. Is it pretentious and foolhardy for an MS-1 to start a SIGN before he's even finished Gross? Also, was anyone's desire to pursue this specialty shaped by participation in such a group during med school? Kindly share any experience/thoughts.

Foolhardy? Not even close!

I started the SIGN group in my medical school as an MS1 (although toward the end of the year, not the beginning), and it was probably the single most valuable thing I did in med school. I got to know the faculty and residents in the department, had my hand at running a new group, and met the faculty member that became my advisor. I was asked about this experience at EVERY interview I went on. So, if you really think you are committed to neurology, go for it! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Definatley go for it! I was president at my school 2nd and 3rd year and we did a lot more changes and activities than were done in the past. there are a ton of things that you can do.
Here is the SIGN web pagehttp://aan.com/students/medical/student.cfm.
You can get scholarship for research, money for you to go to conference. It's been super.
if you have any questions post and we'll do our best to help you out!

Even if you're not 100% sure about neurology but have the interest, it won't hurt to start a SIGN group. One of my classmates liked neurology enough to resurect the SIGN group at our school during first year and ended up going into surgery. It didn't hurt her that she had done this. Actually, I think one of the worst things to do during med school is nothing. Better to get involved and explore what's out there.

Good luck!!