Could someone tell me what it's like living in the RC first year? Can you have out-of-town visitors? Can first year ICO students get a one bedroom one bath in the RC/apartments? Is it easy to learn and use public transportation in Chicago? Where is the closest grocery store?

I am a non-traditional applicant that just got accepted but I dont know if living in the RC is for me. I have been out of college for A WHILE and I am NOT EXCITED to be thrown back into a dorm-like situation. I can't see myself going from an independent, working professional to being cramed in a place where 3 people have to share a bathroom. Am I off on this senario? How do we all get ready in the morning if we all have class at the same time?!

Any suggestions on nearby apartments that are in walking distance to the school? Any advice from students who where in my situation? Any advice from ICO students who live off-campus? Any comments would be appreciated.

bd722

ICO class of 2013!!!
10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I have heard that living in the RC is not as bad as it may seem as living in a "dorm". It is obviously going to be wayyyy better than undergrad dorms because everyone living there is going through the same program, having exams at the same time, and is in professional school. Plus, I think its a great place to live the first year to kind of get to know your classmates and other people. I am kind of excited to live there eventhough I have been living in an apt for the past two years.

I do have another question though--do you need a car on campus? I don't have a car right now but I am looking into buying one by next year.

Linga23

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
Hey

I'm currently living in the RC at ICO. It's not bad at all. There's the convenience of crossing the street to get to class. If your forget your notes, or need something from your room you can run back to get it.

I was apprehensive about moving back into a dorm. It IS slightly different from undergrad in the sense that most of the students are more mature, and understand what they're here for...for the most part. You get to meet and learn more about your classmates since the majority of first years live in the RC. They have suites, you can either get a single room in the suite or share the double room. Apartments and other options are quite limited.

Being committed to a meal plan is one of the down sides (you would proabably spend less on groceries and food etc overall), and also not being close to downtown or anything of interest . There is a grocery store a few blocks away (5-7 min walk), and you'll be close to public transit (bus stop right outside the RC gates) and the train is a few blocks away. Public transportation is quite efficient. I don't have my car with me but it would be nice every now and then to have it for shopping trips when you buy a lot more than you manage to take back. There will most likely be people in the RC who will have cars and you can get a ride with them. They have parking permits if you do decide to live off campus and want to drive. I don't know much about the cost of that though.

I plan on living off campus next year so I am looking into apartments nearby. I was told that they have quite a few in the area.

As for getting ready in the morning. I haven't have any problems with my suitemates. (By the way, they do a fairly good match) We get up around the same time for tests, usually. Other days you might have labs while your roommate doesn't so the bathroom should be free. Hopefully they'd be respectful enough to not take a long time in there.

I've spoke to some upper years and they said that living in the RC comes in really handy when you have open lab sessions and you're on campus really late. You do spend a lot of time on campus.

Okay, well I hope this helps....:)

Could someone tell me what it's like living in the RC first year? Can you have out-of-town visitors? Can first year ICO students get a one bedroom one bath in the RC/apartments? Is it easy to learn and use public transportation in Chicago? Where is the closest grocery store?

I am a non-traditional applicant that just got accepted but I dont know if living in the RC is for me. I have been out of college for A WHILE and I am NOT EXCITED to be thrown back into a dorm-like situation. I can't see myself going from an independent, working professional to being cramed in a place where 3 people have to share a bathroom. Am I off on this senario? How do we all get ready in the morning if we all have class at the same time?!

Any suggestions on nearby apartments that are in walking distance to the school? Any advice from students who where in my situation? Any advice from ICO students who live off-campus? Any comments would be appreciated.

About the Ads

oceanblue392

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
Orange County, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
For students living in the RC and have a car, where do they park it? In the school lot? or is there a lot for the RC? or just wherever they could in the street?

Hey

I'm currently living in the RC at ICO. It's not bad at all. There's the convenience of crossing the street to get to class. If your forget your notes, or need something from your room you can run back to get it.

I was apprehensive about moving back into a dorm. It IS slightly different from undergrad in the sense that most of the students are more mature, and understand what they're here for...for the most part. You get to meet and learn more about your classmates since the majority of first years live in the RC. They have suites, you can either get a single room in the suite or share the double room. Apartments and other options are quite limited.

Being committed to a meal plan is one of the down sides (you would proabably spend less on groceries and food etc overall), and also not being close to downtown or anything of interest . There is a grocery store a few blocks away (5-7 min walk), and you'll be close to public transit (bus stop right outside the RC gates) and the train is a few blocks away. Public transportation is quite efficient. I don't have my car with me but it would be nice every now and then to have it for shopping trips when you buy a lot more than you manage to take back. There will most likely be people in the RC who will have cars and you can get a ride with them. They have parking permits if you do decide to live off campus and want to drive. I don't know much about the cost of that though.

I plan on living off campus next year so I am looking into apartments nearby. I was told that they have quite a few in the area.

As for getting ready in the morning. I haven't have any problems with my suitemates. (By the way, they do a fairly good match) We get up around the same time for tests, usually. Other days you might have labs while your roommate doesn't so the bathroom should be free. Hopefully they'd be respectful enough to not take a long time in there.

I've spoke to some upper years and they said that living in the RC comes in really handy when you have open lab sessions and you're on campus really late. You do spend a lot of time on campus.

Okay, well I hope this helps....:)

Linga23

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
ICO has it's own parking garage. I believe it's 4 levels and it's for faculty, staff and students. It's above grounds and mostly enclosed. They usually send out details for the parking permit in June/July along with residence application forms. I notice that those who live off campus will just park on the road in front of the school or RC. I'm not sure about parking on the city streets, it looks like you might need some sort of permit as well. For more information on that, email or call someone at the school, maybe in the Student Affairs department.

bd722

ICO class of 2013!!!
10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
ICO has it's own parking garage. I believe it's 4 levels and it's for faculty, staff and students. It's above grounds and mostly enclosed. They usually send out details for the parking permit in June/July along with residence application forms. I notice that those who live off campus will just park on the road in front of the school or RC. I'm not sure about parking on the city streets, it looks like you might need some sort of permit as well. For more information on that, email or call someone at the school, maybe in the Student Affairs department.

When do we get the housing information from ICO about reserving a spot at the RC? If you want the single room in the suite instead of the shared double room, how does that work? Do we get a preference or is it by a lottery system or if you send your housing forms in earlier? Does it cost more? How are the apartments in the area considering the area is not exactly the safest?

Thanks again!

Linga23

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
Hey,

Okay so I just had to look through old emails to make sure I got the months down correctly. The RC application / matching form, the RC contract, meal plan information were available in early May. You'll get notifications of documents that you need to have completed and they'll give you a list of deadlines for all of them as well. There will also be things like a mandatory medical form that you'll have to complete before starting school in the fall.
Okay so back to RC, you'll find out the decision in late June. We were told it was a lottery system, but it still can't hurt to submit the form as soon as you've completed it. You rank your choices: single, double, single as double, apartment etc. You also complete a matching questionnaire... it's along the lines of: what time do you usually get up? go to bed? introvert/extrovert sort of things to match you as best as possible. Double rooms aren't bad, plus you hardly spend much time in your room. It's always a plus to have a roommate to make sure you're awake for your 8am tests. Typically first years will either get to share a double in the suite or a single in the suite.

Here are the costs as found on the ICO website (2007-2008) I think it's still the same for 2008-2009 right now.

Double: $1,510 + meal plan
Single: $2,180 + meal plan
Double as Single: $2,360 + meal plan
3 Bedroom: $2,515
2 Bedroom: $3,085
1 Bedroom: $3,905
1 Bedroom Large: $4,090

Meal Plan (per quarter)
132 meals per Quarter: $1,195 (includes $150 in Cafeteria Flex Dollars)

I can't really comment on the apartments in the area, sorry. I'm living in the RC now, and I know some people who live off campus and they said it's not too bad. $685 - $750 studio apartments. I'll probably start looking into it more near the end of the school year. :)

If you have any more questions, I'll try to help out as I go along.

When do we get the housing information from ICO about reserving a spot at the RC? If you want the single room in the suite instead of the shared double room, how does that work? Do we get a preference or is it by a lottery system or if you send your housing forms in earlier? Does it cost more? How are the apartments in the area considering the area is not exactly the safest?

Thanks again!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.