Student loan interest still accruing.

Started by rs37982
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rs37982

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So apparently interest rates are supposed to be reduced to 0% temporarily during this whole coronavirus situation. However, I've been checking my Nelnet and my loans are still accruing interest... is this something they're going to fix eventually? I thought this would be in effect since it was announced. Just wondering if anyone's noticed any change in their account yet.
 
no. 0% is the bank lending rate. the rate FED lending to banks. banks will add marginal rate on top of that for profit.

so FED would need to drop rate to negative to have near effective 0% interest rate, which is unlikely.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They will backtrack starting on friday 3/13/2020. Knowing loan servicers it will take a couple of days for it to reflect. I will probably use my next check to give a hit to my student loans.
 
Just got approved for refinancing on my car with 2% 3 year interest. Not bad. I may just get a new car at that rate haha