student loan question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Postictal Raiden

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
since my question was left unanswered on the financial aid page, I decided to post it here.

I am going through some financial difficulties, and I am considering taking an undergrad student loan.

My question is:

If I go ahead and get a loan right now, will I still be eligable to obtain federal loans later when I apply to med school? will my repayments for the undergrad loan deffer until I finish med school?

Members don't see this ad.

since my question was left unanswered on the financial aid page, I decided to post it here.

I am going through some financial difficulties, and I am considering taking an undergrad student loan.

My question is:

If I go ahead and get a loan right now, will I still be eligable to obtain federal loans later when I apply to med school? will my repayments for the undergrad loan deffer until I finish med school?
Yes on both counts.

Yes on both counts.

Agreed. Keep in mind that there are aggregate loan limits with each degree level. So the med school aggregate loan limit includes what you might have already borrowed in UG/grad school. Although I've read somewhere they've recently increased the medical school aggregate limits--don't quote me on that, though.

P.S. Hi, B, you mystery man, you.

Depending on how much you took out in undergrad, you can max out your Staffords. However, there are Grad Plus loans that will allow you to take out more in this case. I think these might be credit dependent and they do have slightly higher interest than Staffords. They are Federal loans though, so the interest is better than private loans.