1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

student loan question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Ibn Alnafis MD, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Ibn Alnafis MD

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    since my question was left unanswered on the financial aid page, I decided to post it here.

I am going through some financial difficulties, and I am considering taking an undergrad student loan.

My question is:

If I go ahead and get a loan right now, will I still be eligable to obtain federal loans later when I apply to med school? will my repayments for the undergrad loan deffer until I finish med school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UNMorBUST

UNMorBUST Mystery Man
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Yes on both counts.

4. jinx520

5+ Year Member

Non-Student

Agreed. Keep in mind that there are aggregate loan limits with each degree level. So the med school aggregate loan limit includes what you might have already borrowed in UG/grad school. Although I've read somewhere they've recently increased the medical school aggregate limits--don't quote me on that, though.

P.S. Hi, B, you mystery man, you.

5. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Depending on how much you took out in undergrad, you can max out your Staffords. However, there are Grad Plus loans that will allow you to take out more in this case. I think these might be credit dependent and they do have slightly higher interest than Staffords. They are Federal loans though, so the interest is better than private loans.