Students Without Borders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe that the only way to get medical students involved, which is potential a very strong group of individuals that can lend their efforts to these tasks, is if we organize ourselves and then fill in the gaps with any NGO we see as fit.
Actually, I think medical students would be one of the worst groups to try to get involved with anything. They have very few contributable skills and very little free time. Helping out various NGOs in undefined ways piecemeal doesn't scale and isn't sustainable.

If you're serious about this, work on what's known as an "elevator pitch". How can you describe your organization and what it does in 2 sentences that you can say within 20 seconds that clearly describes your goals and methods?

This is easy to do with MSF, Amnesty, Greenpeace and any solid nonprof. Can you do it with yours?

Again, I admire the passion. But charities involve so much wasted overhead and redundant efforts that there is a very good argument for folks with passion to lend their time and energy to established organizations that are doing good work. The only ethical reason to take people's time and money is if there is a newly identified, specific mission that has not been met. If your organization is not doing this, it is actually prohibiting good works.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, I think medical students would be one of the worst groups to try to get involved with anything. They have very few contributable skills and very little free time. Helping out various NGOs in undefined ways piecemeal doesn't scale and isn't sustainable.

If you're serious about this, work on what's known as an "elevator pitch". How can you describe your organization and what it does in 2 sentences that you can say within 20 seconds that clearly describes your goals and methods?

This is easy to do with MSF, Amnesty, Greenpeace and any solid nonprof. Can you do it with yours?

Again, I admire the passion. But charities involve so much wasted overhead and redundant efforts that there is a very good argument for folks with passion to lend their time and energy to established organizations that are doing good work. The only ethical reason to take people's time and money is if there is a newly identified, specific mission that has not been met. If your organization is not doing this, it is actually prohibiting good works.

I see what you are saying, but from my experience I have seen that there are many medical school students that feel very passionate about certain issues. They would act, but more leadership is needed to offer opportunities and bring those looking for an opportunity with those in need of service.

There are 143 medical schools, each with 400 to 800 students, and the students are not busy all the time. Most have some free time, and what I am proposing is that we tap into this resource. If each student can give one hour a week, we can coordinate our efforts and supply an additional organized volunteer force that can make a substantial difference. Your point about not duplicating efforts is well made and well taken, and this is preciously whey I believe that this organization would do very well; i.e. because this is something that has not been done before.

With medical students you have a very hard-working, committed group of individuals who I believe have plenty to offer (as a whole, medical school students, I believe, could offer more then most other bodies of students – they all certainly share diverse experiences and bring different things to the table. They will become doctors with a specific career, but many have things to offer now – it could be as simple as teaching math to children in underserved areas or having fundraising programs for specific causes). So you would actually expose many individuals to service, that were not previously being exposed to such a coordinated effort.

Many medical school students are very busy, and yet they find time to volunteer at their local shelter, have fundraiser, or collect shoes for children in Africa. Actually, at MSU, where I will be starting medical school this summer, there is a huge volunteer effort that does many of the things I just mentioned.

Because building this infrastructure will led to many, many years of service, I would not consider this time a waste at all. Actually, I see it as an investment in the future. A future where medical students are volunteering to bring about change. And, perhaps equally important, is the values this organization will instill in the next generation of medical professionals. The students who participate will be more in tune with those in need, and can forge the spirit of service to the local and global community more strongly at an earlier age.

I would say that we are a collation of medical school students looking to assist those in need, at home and abroad, through various small-scale, community-based efforts. I would also say that our efforts are not limited to geopolitical constraints and ideologies.

Although I understand what you are saying, I think not following this through would leave a huge, capable population of individuals without having a direct opportunity to volunteer. The alternative would be to hope that some volunteer; but many will not if an opportunity is not at their doorstep. All that I am trying to do is to bring this opportunity to each medical students’ proverbial doorstep.

They will become doctors with a specific career, but many have things to offer now – it could be as simple as teaching math to children in underserved areas or having fundraising programs for specific causes).
But again, groups devoted to teaching math to children in underserved areas already exists. Any med student who wants to do so can set something up with an organization doing a very good job of this right now.

Again, find your niche. "Postal Workers Without Borders" does not work. But "Postal Workers to Impeach Bush" or "Postal Workers for Needle Sharing" does.
So you would actually expose many individuals to service, that were not previously being exposed to such a coordinated effort.
Any medical student who has not been exposed to volunteer opportunities by the time they get to medical school is avoiding volunteer opportunities.
Many medical school students are very busy, and yet they find time to volunteer at their local shelter, have fundraiser, or collect shoes for children in Africa.
Good stuff. Then maybe volunteering for those organizations, rather than creating one that saps money and energy away from those in need, would be a sounder strategy.
I think not following this through would leave a huge, capable population of individuals without having a direct opportunity to volunteer.
These direct opportunities do exist already.

Again, work on an elevator pitch so that you have a clearly defined, nonduplicated goal and bob's your uncle. Best of luck with your efforts.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's one of my major concerns with all of this. But I will continue to help with the NO project as much as I can.

I realize my posts may sound negative and they really aren't meant to be. I've just seen so much passion and idealism that can sometimes be incorrectly channeled.

Ambitious premeds have a habit of wanting to re-invent the wheel, because it's a lot more fun to start one's own organization than in participating in someone elses. But the danger in this is that a vast majority of these fledgling organizations channel lots of time and money away from the very causes they're trying to support by creating unnecessary overhead.

Which is why I'm urging the "elevator pitch" and identifying a niche to be filled. Pick a very specfiic cause with very attainable goals and a very specfic path for how to do so. Anything less does a disservice to those you're trying to serve.

Your enthusiasm is commendable, though.

I realize my posts may sound negative and they really aren't meant to be. I've just seen so much passion and idealism that can sometimes be incorrectly channeled.

Ambitious premeds have a habit of wanting to re-invent the wheel, because it's a lot more fun to start one's own organization than in participating in someone elses. But the danger in this is that a vast majority of these fledgling organizations channel lots of time and money away from the very causes they're trying to support by creating unnecessary overhead.

Which is why I'm urging the "elevator pitch" and identifying a niche to be filled. Pick a very specfiic cause with very attainable goals and a very specfic path for how to do so. Anything less does a disservice to those you're trying to serve.

I wouldn't define starting up a new organization as 'fun'.....but that's just me. :laugh:

Would you agree that creating this organization could get more medical school student to volunteer? If so, then its creation would be worthwhile endeavor. If not, then you and I have very different idea of who medical school students are and what motivates them. I believe that this organization could bridge the gap, and although there are groups out there that are involved in teaching kids math, it is not made up of medical school student. The goal of this organization will be to get them involved and in the process improve the lives of others.

Take for example the NO project that DKM is proposing. Without this organization, something like this would not have happened by medical schools students. Some would have volunteered, but not the number of students we will have. Many students would not have done the research to do things like this on their own. But, once again, we are bringing it to their doorstep. This is what I am proposing, I hope that I have made it clear that weather things like this are being done or not misses the point that many medical school students are not taking part. The mission of this organization is to get them involved, this, therefore, is a new organization that addresses a very important mission.

My "elevator pitch" would be the following:

We are a collation of medical school students looking to assist those in need, at home and abroad, through various small-scale, community-based efforts. Our efforts are not limited to geopolitical constraints and ideologies.

Again, I appreciate your opinion, but I am going ahead with this project. I would also like to encourage you to get involved.

Take for example the NO project that DKM is proposing.

It's your project. You take the credit. I'm just an advisor. :D

What do you all think about this as the beginning of a Mission Statement?

"Students Without Borders (or whatever else we decide on) is an international, non-profit organization composed of students whose goal is the reduction of human suffering throughout the world. The efforts of SWB include both small, community-based missions and international work in conjugation with other non-profit organizations, foundations, and NGOs. "

Maybe starting a new group to take part in existing programs could be your ticket. You'd find yourself organizing volunteers with similar backgrounds to participate as a group... that way the existing programs may be able to offer you some form of discount on expenses. Also, students can live and even travel together possibly. Just another thought.

There are two things I look at when looking at overseas volunteer opportunities: what we'll be doing and whether its financially possible. This way you can find a program that really suits med school students (with high interest but limited skills) and make it one step closer to being financially feasible.

Maybe starting a new group to take part in existing programs could be your ticket. You'd find yourself organizing volunteers with similar backgrounds to participate as a group... that way the existing programs may be able to offer you some form of discount on expenses. Also, students can live and even travel together possibly. Just another thought.

There are two things I look at when looking at overseas volunteer opportunities: what we'll be doing and whether its financially possible. This way you can find a program that really suits med school students (with high interest but limited skills) and make it one step closer to being financially feasible.

I think that in addition to our own small missions, this idea of cooperative action will make up a large part of our volunteer agenda. Excellent suggestion – our goal will ultimately be to have medical students act, foster a culture of service, and make a dent on some the worlds most intractable problems.

What happend to everyone? Any progress on the things we talked about?

What happend to everyone? Any progress on the things we talked about?

I still need name, logo, mission statement,goals, members,layout examples for the website...

Did we decide on a name? If so, who can design the logo?

I heard back from my contact in Lousiana, he is going to do some digging and see if he can muster up further support on that end.