Studing

kasoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a recent study done by me,
Studing in your bed will make you score lower because you get more off topic start daydreaming like crazy.
Studing outside gets you too distracted and makes you want to screw homework and enjoy the outdoors.
Satisfing hunger cravings and going to the bathroom every 20 min, turns out you study harder when you know your working towards satisfaction. As it turns out studing the good ol' fashion way, unconfortable, hungry, and tired, on your ass in front of a desk with a bright light and some caffeeine is the best way to go. Woo!:eek:
Any other study techinques you guys want to share, Post!

Members don't see this ad.

I just study anywhere , whenever , I don't normally get distracted but If someone is annoying me or intentionally bugging me then I am more likely to get distracted and tear some heads off . :)

I do find it that I eat alot more when I study . For some reason you want to snack alot .

You might want to try studying a dictionary, love. :p

I like flashcards personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
In a recent study done by me,
Studing in your bed will make you score lower because you get more off topic start daydreaming like crazy.
Studing outside gets you too distracted and makes you want to screw homework and enjoy the outdoors.
Satisfing hunger cravings and going to the bathroom every 20 min, turns out you study harder when you know your working towards satisfaction. As it turns out studing the good ol' fashion way, unconfortable, hungry, and tired, on your ass in front of a desk with a bright light and some caffeeine is the best way to go. Woo!:eek:
Any other study techinques you guys want to share, Post!

It's common sense quite franctly, if you study in a room with a chair and a white wall you will do better then in contrast to a video game arcade.

Or if you have a good general mind set, the enviroment wouldn't matter.

I just study anywhere , whenever , I don't normally get distracted but If someone is annoying me or intentionally bugging me then I am more likely to get distracted and tear some heads off . :)

I do find it that I eat alot more when I study . For some reason you want to snack alot .

Brains at work, hypothalamus in the brain controls hunger and thirst.

Ice Tea is my friend.

Actually, I think it's more along the lines of the repetitious movement of eating and chewing--your brain's not a muscle, after all. It doesn't need K+ to function, and it doesn't get sore or strained.

People generally feel better when they've got a repetitious movement going--like pacing, or drumming your fingers, or tapping your foot. Eating's just another way to go.

Try this:
http://calnewport.com/blog/

I've been a fan of this guy for awhile I've read one his books, and I mostly agree with the content for the most part.

But the quick and dirty is that he is a forth year PhD student at MIT and has traveled to a couple of college campuses to interview and study how straight A students study. There are some ideas that I really like, and some that would probably kill me academically.

#1 30:5 Rule

Study 30 minutes and take a 5 minutes break. Timing is strictly controlled by a timer. During the five minutes break, I usually go out and look at the ocean. I also eat some sweet stuff. This enables me to study six or seven hours straight. After the study session is done, everything is still clear in my head.

#2 Flash Cards Flash

When I study, I always try to get the important ideas and organize them on flash cards. This enables me to study anywhere, anytime, and with anyone. When I go to bed, I dream about myself answering some of the questions I wrote on flashcards.

#3 Feeding Your Horny Brain

I like to cook and I like to eat good food. When I am hungry, I cook myself a dream dish I want to eat that day. This makes me feel good and gives the energy to start doing the 30:5 cycle again.

Flashcards FTW. Writing them out is great for memorizing, because you get the repetition and such, but if you're making a few hundred at a time, there are computer flashcard programs that rock hardcore. My personal favorite is Mnemosyne, but I think that's only available on Linux. I think CueCard works with Windows...

Study groups (ones that actually study and get stuff done) are my absolute favorite way to study. They're also hard to arrange and such, when you're in high school or at a cc, but at uni, I think it'll be a lot easier.

Also, classical music. Or opera. Anything that you can really sing along to isn't helping with the concentration.

I have also realized that I am the best teacher for myself. I can teach myself the best. I like to organize the information and summarize them instead of letting the teachers to spoon-feed me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done all homework/studying on my bed ever since like 1st grade.

Is this bad? :laugh:

And yes, I guess having a sturdy chair might have helped me to concentrate. Oh well, too late now.

And yes, I guess having a sturdy chair might have helped me to concentrate. Oh well, too late now.

I used to study in bed, but now I fall asleep like 90% of the time.

I have a guy living in the same house with me. He studies on the bed. He came to my room and started to study on my bed. He told me to come with him on the bed. I was like "WTF."

I have a guy living in the same house with me. He studies on the bed. He came to my room and started to study on my bed. He told me to come with him on the bed. I was like "WTF."
:barf:

Alright, I'll be the first one to say this: whip out the iPod. I've personally found the iPod to GREATLY add to my endurance, although it removes some of my intelligence and concentration.

I've found the iPod is perfect for pounding out those tedious, but easy assignments. The iPod keeps it varied enough that you don't give up on it halfway though, and you don't need the extra intelligence lost.

On the converse, however, its pretty hard to read Shakespeare with Hotel California blasting in the background. On the hard, thought-provoking assignments, the iPod is counter-productive.

Other than adding the iPod, my studying is nothing special. I just raid the fridge, grab tons of good food, pop in my iPod, and pound it out at my desk.

Though, even with the iPod its difficult to go 6-7 hours straight, so about every 90-120 minutes I need a break. These should be about 5-10 minutes to get up and walk around, maybe step outside for a moment. My problem is I'll tell myself I need a "short 10 minute break", and then it ends up being 45 minutes. I need to be more disciplined with my break time. :cool:

I personally like to passively study on the weekends with some of my favorite music. But, after that, I go to the library where it is nice and quiet and study the concepts I seemed to have missed. Then, I go work out and listen to more music or just do something fun to rest my brain. After the break, I go back to studying with some snacks and start reviewing any material I may have missed. Of course, I end up finding something I missed, which is good. And, I start repetitively writing down what those missed concepts. This is a time saver if you ask me with the best results. I think it all amounts to how well you know yourself and how well your tactics are. Just remember that repetition is the best. Writing stuff down is the most effective way because it helps you memorize while getting you ready to write down the same stuff for the test. Once you are comfortable with the material, you can start applying it and for the higher level thinking problems.

On a less serious note, try studying in your underwear. haha.

Underwear? Psht. I study naked.

For on-topic goodness, I've discovered that an excellent alternative to going straight through the night doing a project and then going to sleep when finished, is to get about half done, sleep for a bit, and then get up early and finish it. It clears your head, and you feel a lot better. :D

Underwear? Psht. I study naked.

For on-topic goodness, I've discovered that an excellent alternative to going straight through the night doing a project and then going to sleep when finished, is to get about half done, sleep for a bit, and then get up early and finish it. It clears your head, and you feel a lot better. :D

I did that for ochem... The sleeping part, I mean. Anyway, I think that sleeping is a way for the brain to rid of useless information and digesting new information. Say, you are studying a butt load and you already have in your head that you don't know a thing about a concept. You go take a nap after studying and wake up refreshed with a new idea of the concept. And, you can review to consume more info. Naps are great for studying.

I really don't think you need to stay up all night or study 6 something hours straight to do decently, even good, in high school and/or college. That seems more than a little excessive to me. I guess to each their own, but you really shouldn't have to spend that much time studying, especially in high school.

Edit: oops wrong thread.

I like the idea of sleeping. But I sleep too much and I doubt I would get up after half a night of studying.

Personal experience: I score better if I alternate between studying and watching episodes of Criminal Minds. :cool: I got the highest score so far this summer session on the test I studied the least for. I feel like it lessened my anxiety to not cram/study constantly.

I really don't think you need to stay up all night or study 6 something hours straight to do decently, even good, in high school and/or college. That seems more than a little excessive to me. I guess to each their own, but you really shouldn't have to spend that much time studying, especially in high school.

Yes, unless you're working two jobs, play a sport, and take 15 credits up at your CC in addition to three high school courses. It's not that it takes all night to study. It's that you don't get home until eleven or twelve at night and have to get up at six the next day.

Yes, unless you're working two jobs, play a sport, and take 15 credits up at your CC in addition to three high school courses. It's not that it takes all night to study. It's that you don't get home until eleven or twelve at night and have to get up at six the next day.

People do not normally have to deal with all of that.

I do not know how you even pull all that off.