Advice for a High School Student

J-REXX

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am a homeschooled, high-school Junior and dual-enrolled at my local community college. That means I have access to college-level courses that will transfer to any university in the state of Florida. To get you up to date, I have taken Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Gen Chem 1, statistics, Psychology, and General Physics with Calculus 1 and 2, along with some other classes all at the university level. By the time I graduate high-school in 2021, I will have finished Calculus 3, Gen Chem 2, Principles of Bio 1 and maybe 2, along with Organic Chem 1 and 2, sociology and Linear Algebra. I want to study Biomedical Science or Biochemistry when I go off to school at UWF. I took the SAT my freshman and sophomore years and did pretty poorly (1110 and then 1220), on the ACT, which I took my sophomore year, I got a 25 which qualified me for a 75% scholarship at any state university, if I get a 29 I will get a full-tuition scholarship. I have a 4.0 GPA on the 4 point scale in both high school and college.

I need some advice on what to do next. How should I start studying for the MCAT? What type of extra-curricular activities should I be doing? etc.

NOTE: I graduate college two years after I graduate high school, so I have some time to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't waste my time with a Masters. I would take the MCAT and apply at 19, that's what I am going to do, and if I didn't get accepted I would go back for a Masters. There are also a few other factors at play that might help you with your decision. What state are you in? Maybe they have state scholarships. What did you get on the ACT or SAT? What degree will you be getting? What classes have you already taken at the community college, and will you have your A.A degree? Have you looked at BS/MD or BS/DO programs?

I currently have 31 from my first try. I'm hoping I'll be able to retake it this summer and get about a 33. I'll have just enough credits by the end of senior year to get an A.A or A.S, but I haven't wasted time to take the state core classes I need for it. I've looked into BS/MD and I'm applying to a few but the ACT score is around a 35/36 and "perfect" candidates are denied. I just want to go to state school (bc of scholarships), get my BS, graduate at 19. Obviously, I won't have as much research/volunteering/shadowing as other applicants to med school because I will be at university for only 2 years. I'm just trying to think of things that would help my application because it will be weaker in comparison, even with good test scores and essays

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are planning to go to a state university, why try for a 33, a 31 is quite good. I have a 25 and I need to get a 29, which looks like it might happen this July. BS/MDs are really competitive and even for those with amazing ACT/SAT scores, it is a long shot. Maybe someone else can jump in here and help us out, but, if it was me, I wouldn't bother with the ACT again, I would start looking at MCAT study programs like Khan Academy.
In order to build a stronger application, I have started to volunteer as much as possible, and I have been doing so since 8th grade. Whether it is at my church or a local food pantry, etc.

Last edited:
I have a pretty strong BS/MD application with volunteering/internships/gpa/shadowing/ECs/a bit of research but if I even want a slight chance, I might as well just try for a better ACT score. Plus, a 33/34 would give me a full scholarship to state school anyways. I don't think I'll end up at a BS/MD program just because most require at 4 years undergrad and I'll have to retake classes, but I might apply depending on ACT score.

I heard khan academy isn't great because it covers topics you don't really need to know. I think I'm going to get the Kaplan books when the time comes. Right now my focus is the ACT first, then the MCAT.

Hopefully someone with more experience could help us out, especially with med school admissions having only 2 years of university and research experience. Maybe a really high MCAT score (I'll have to work really hard for) will put us on an even playing field, since most people that apply will have everything I have x2 more years and probably publications

Wow I love this thread! Haha I’m glad you guys are thinking about all of this early on.

I had a similar situation as you guys. I started a dual enrollment program in HS and was able to finish undergrad early. I considered applying to med school straight out of undergraduate but I’m glad I didn’t. I couldn’t honestly answer why I made as good a candidate as someone who had 3+ years of solid research or someone who worked for years in the medical field.

To the OP: For the MCAT I think the general consensus is to start studying for it Junior year (so for you, your first real undergrad year after HS?). I think it’s a good idea to keep up with the knowledge you’ve already learned with flashcard programs like Anki or quizlet. Honestly though you shouldn’t worry about studying for the MCAT (with prep books, programs, etc) until you’ve taken a good portion of the necessary classes. Undergrad classes are preparing you for the MCAT!

For extracurriculars, medical volunteering is always a good idea. But non medical volunteering is also great! Find something you’re passionate about and you’ll always find a way to make it work for your future application.

@kennedykallas if a masters program is something you’re interested in, I think that’s a great use of your time before starting med school. Lots of my classmates have masters and I know that it made them more competitive. There are masters programs that are actually meant to prepare students for medical school and I’m sure with a good undergrad application you could get it.

Applying to medical school is expensive. With all the stress that comes with the interview cycle, I promise that you only want to do it once. My best advice is to go in to it knowing you but your best self forward!

If you guys want any more advice/clarification please DM me! I am a current medical student if that makes any difference

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Last edited:
As much as I would love to get into a BS/MD program there are very few that I can apply to with a 25 on the ACT, I can think of three; even if I get a 29, the options are limited.

I have a pretty strong BS/MD application with volunteering/internships/gpa/shadowing/ECs/a bit of research but if I even want a slight chance, I might as well just try for a better ACT score. Plus, a 33/34 would give me a full scholarship to state school anyways. I don't think I'll end up at a BS/MD program just because most require at 4 years undergrad and I'll have to retake classes, but I might apply depending on ACT score.

I heard khan academy isn't great because it covers topics you don't really need to know. I think I'm going to get the Kaplan books when the time comes. Right now my focus is the ACT first, then the MCAT.

Hopefully someone with more experience could help us out, especially with med school admissions having only 2 years of university and research experience. Maybe a really high MCAT score (I'll have to work really hard for) will put us on an even playing field, since most people that apply will have everything I have x2 more years and probably publications
Mind you, I am not trying to discourage you from a Masters Degree or a BS/MD program. I just don't want to deal with them.

So glad to be able to find people in similar situations!

I think I might just choose to do masters after undergrad, unless I land a good BS/MD. It'll give me more time for the MCAT and more experience. I really want to do more research in genetics, not just for the boost in my med school application For now, I'll take life as it comes who knows maybe I'll decide to double major. I also have the option to take a few grad courses during undergrad if I double major and go to university for 3-4 years instead of 2.

I have a few questions you may be able to answer. I'm not at all familiar with grad programs and how hard it is to get in. I have never heard of the programs that are meant to prepare for med school until now, so what are they like, do they actually help you get in to med school, and how hard is it to get in to those programs.

Haha sorry for all the questions. What'd you do between undergrad and med school? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user