study abroad in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eiiza6eth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of the US med schools have study abroad/exchange programs for med students? I have found a few national med student exchange programs listed at various schools, but not international. I really want to travel, but I still want to be able to obtain a US residency after med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about study abroad, but some schools like Loma Linda have like yearly missions where students can travel to foreign countries to volunteer.

I think there are schools you can do clinical rotations abroad either during third or fourth year. I have seen them, but I don't remember the schools. They do list these info on their web so you have to search for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can afford to pay the International tuition, just attend med school overseas. You can still get a residency spot if you right the USMLE's while you're in school.

Come to Ireland! The schools are great, the people are awesome, and the country is even better. The Atlantic Bridge program is in California and they handle applications and will answer your questions about doing your residency in the US.

Atlantic Bridge

The way it work is you do 1-2 months abroad for a clinical or research rotation with faculty approval at your school and a sponsor at your abroad site. These are usually offered during your research/elective/vacation months. Most schools have arrangements with away sites and can hook you up if you talk to the right person, while other schools make you make arrangements yourself. There are lots of organizations that offer electives. You can basically Google them.

The other alternative is to take a year off and study abroad for a year and get a masters degree (depending on the program).

My advice would be that if you only want to travel, just wait until your vacation time and travel. If you want to learn something at another country, do the study abroad. The study abroad programs however in med school are different than that of undergrad. In med school, they want you to find a preceptor and work with the preceptor to provide patient care and work at the hospital. Most schools have this arrangement during 4th year (some during 3rd).

Sage880 said:
If you can afford to pay the International tuition, just attend med school overseas. You can still get a residency spot if you right the USMLE's while you're in school.

Come to Ireland! The schools are great, the people are awesome, and the country is even better. The Atlantic Bridge program is in California and they handle applications and will answer your questions about doing your residency in the US.

Atlantic Bridge

Are you a US citizen studying in Ireland?

Thanks yall for all the advice. I will start looking carefully on school's websites. I really would like to actually study abroad, rather than just travel.

Someone suggested just attending a foreign med school. Does anyone else have any opinions on that?

eiiza6eth said:
Thanks yall for all the advice. I will start looking carefully on school's websites. I really would like to actually study abroad, rather than just travel.

I know Cornell med has a really extensive study abroad program, with many locations that are used to taking students for one of their clinical rotations in the 3rd or usually 4th year. (Brazil, Paris, Vienna to name a few). They also have a fund to pay travel expenses. These incentives add up to about half the class taking a rotation abroad.

BOSSofCU said:
I know Cornell med has a really extensive study abroad program, with many locations that are used to taking students for one of their clinical rotations in the 3rd or usually 4th year. (Brazil, Paris, Vienna to name a few). They also have a fund to pay travel expenses. These incentives add up to about half the class taking a rotation abroad.

wow, that sounds incredible! Based on statistics in MSAR, I don't think I could ever get my MCAT to a score competitive enough for them. But I really appreciate that info.

I know that George Washington University has formal electives aboard for fourth-year medical students.

From GW's websites:

Opportunities are available in various locations in Asia, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. For example, under GW's agreement with the Mission Interuniversitaire de Coordination des Echanges Franco-Am?rican (MICEFA), a consortium of 14 Paris universities, fourth-year GW medical students and sixth-year French medical students can participate in elective rotations at one another's institutions. GW students can select any specialty elective at any participating institution, including well-known facilities such as H?pital Necker at Universit? de Paris V, where Dr. Ren? Laennec pioneered the use of the stethoscope. Students' choices have included cardiology, radiology, pediatrics, and plastic/reconstructive surgery. Elective rotations last from four to eight weeks, during which students receive an immersion experience in the host country's healthcare system and personal attention from faculty.

Students can also plan rotations on their own. Those exercising this option have taken advantage of GW's connection in Vietnam and Egypt. Faculty members and International Medicine Programs are available to assist in finding locations through our partner institutions, as well as identifying sources of funding. For more information about GWUMC's international student programs, visit the website at www.gwumc.edu/imp.